1878-1884 Photography in Motion

Ice Nine

While looking for some other things today I ran across this and thought I'd share it in this thread. since we are talking about blurry motion etc. and the quality of pictures. His photos are really fantastic. Enjoy

New York city in motion 1884-1910

Nov. 6, 1884 - Crowds of men outside the New York Tribune building in lower Manhattan.
1884 - newyorkinmotion.jpg

Wallace G. Levison was a chemist, inventor, and lecturer who founded the Departments of Mineralogy and Astronomy at the Brooklyn Institute of Arts and Sciences in the latter half of the 19th century.
He was also an avid photographer, using the new technology both as a scientific tool and a recreational activity.
As the dawn of the 20th century approached, newer, more sensitive film emulsions were developed that allowed pictures to be taken with faster and faster shutter speeds.
Levison’s photographs, snapped amid the hustling crowds of Manhattan and the frolicking bathers of Coney Island, display an obsession with motion and a delight with freezing actions that could previously only be recorded as a blur.

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Here is another one pertaining to 1878

The Horse in Motion
Muybridge_race_horse_animated.gif
The_Horse_in_Motion-anim.gif

The Horse in Motion by Eadweard Muybridge: The horse Sallie Gardner, owned by Leland Stanford, running at a 1:40 pace over the Palo Alto track, 19 June 1878. Frames 1-11 used for animation; frame 12 not used.

The_Horse_in_Motion_high_res.jpg

Pigeon in Motion

The_Pigeon_in_Motion.jpg

American bison cantering – set to motion in 2006 using photos by Eadweard Muybridge.

Muybridge_Buffalo_galloping.gif

Classic animation by Muybridge of a horse and rider jumping.

Muybridge_horse_jumping_animated.gif

OP
OP
Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Yeah so where are more pictures of things being built and what have you, They sure had the ability to take pictures back then. the jumping horse is especially impressive. I mean in regards to large buildings and big cities, why do we see nothing, just artist renditions/drawings.

WildFire2000

The differences in Tech from what is presented in popular culture and what some of the things we actually can find with some research is quite amazing.

That Horse in Motion series is actually interesting due to an article I read several years ago about it. Before that set of pictures and stop-motion-esque blending, animation studios actually didn't know how to accurately animate a horse while running. The legs were moving too fast for them to know exactly how all 4 legs moved during it's full gallop. That series of photographs led to a ground breaking change in the accuracy of animations. Or so the article asserted. There were silent movies in the early 1900's. Seriously we had plenty of tech for photographs and such well before most people are awake of. It's fascinating.