19th century photographs of the US Government in session prior to 1865. Where are they?

Here's a supposed shot of Abraham Lincoln's inauguration in 1861. Certainly a lot of people there but there's no way I can tell if that's actually Abe up there or not.
Found another picture of Congress, this one says it's from 1915, a year older than the last one I found. Looks like it's high noon. And the flag is flipped around the other way like @Glumlit, expected in the previous picture. It's also significantly better quality than the one that's a year newer...
They sure did order hundreds of drawings depicting all those things we do not see on the missing photographs. That includes flags and Government in session.

As a plausible explanation, that could definitely work, but that does not explain the absence of the photos.
So many drawings and virtually no photos at all. Lots and lots of drawings though. Even if searching for pictures of the senate, or parliament pictures from other countries, same thing. Drawings galore but no photos.

At the time of the history rewriting the ability to realistically forge or touch up pictures wasn't available, but drawing stuff would be a piece of cake. Chances are the drawings could be almost identical to the original photos that had likely been taken, just with small changes to either hide something in the picture or add something in to create a new truth that didn't actually exist.

Last edited:

milhaus

House of Representatives Chamber 1865

House of Representatives Chamber 1865.jpg

President Harding Addresses Joint Session of Congress - 1921
President Harding Addresses Joint Session of Congress - 1921.jpg

Senate Studebaker Car
Senate Studebaker Car.jpg

Troops at US Capitol
Troops at US Capitol.jpg

Smithsonian Fire 1865. Heavily retouched by Alexander Gardner as he painted flames on the photographic print

Smithsonian Fire 1865. Heavily retouched by Alexander Gardner as he painted flames on the phot...jpg

Troops in front of White House during Civil War

Troops in front of White House during Civil War.jpg

Showing proximity of Booth to Lincoln during second inauguration

Showing proximity of Booth to Lincoln during second inauguration.jpg

President Johnson left of center in first row of reviewing stand

President Johnson left of center in first row of reviewing stand.jpg

Inauguration of Lincoln at US Capitol Mar 4 1861
Inauguration of Lincoln at US Capitol Mar 4 1861.jpg

Tad Lincoln and soldiers
Tad Lincoln and soldiers.jpg

Taken from these two sources:
Historic Images

Both links have a lot of construction photographs that I had never seen before and probably deserves its own topic. I think the best bet for finding more photos is going to be in locating physical books and scanning them. If you notice in the youtube link, most of the links of that uploader's sources are dead.

Glumlit

ISeenItFirst

This is rather interesting. So they did have the quarters. The question is why didn't they photograph those filled with people? It could be a bummer to locate a picture. Wondering if there were females and people of color in there...

Looks like way too many stars on those flags for 1865. What you guys think. 1865 is around 36 states.

Casimir

@trismegistus Exposure times seem to be less inhibiting around then than we are led to believe. However this link's examples are from 15-20 yrs later than this post's timetable- for what its worth. 1878-1884 Photography in Motion

I wonder if those eyes are just an extreme case of glaucoma... The pupils are pretty creepy however. If it was glaucoma he does seem to be aiming his eyes in the general direction of the camera and not looking into it, maybe the man just couldn't see.

milhaus

This is rather interesting. So they did have the quarters. The question is why didn't they photograph those filled with people? It could be a bummer to locate a picture. Wondering if there were females and people of color in there...

I don't know about that. I think maybe they were just very careful who was permitted to be in there during the war. I did laugh when I found this picture and of course no one is there. Oh well. Still looking.

Monkwee

May be, but we grew into being so good with plausible explanations matching our levels of sanity. Sometimes it makes us not believe our own eyes.
That is a great point, we have been duped into believing occam's razor and all those other materialist ideologies. No matter what we label them, waves, particles, fields, spirits, angels, dark matter, etc., there are layers of reality overlapping our own at all times, potentially causing/affecting/interacting with any number of other processes of things to an extent that we are incapable of understanding!

Having said that, could it be that this dude had blue eyes? The camera can only pick up light or dark tones, people with light blue eyes may have appeared this way?

OP
OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Looks like way too many stars on those flags for 1865. What you guys think. 1865 is around 36 states.
Agree, but the quality, and the fold of the flags does not really allow for counting.
Having said that, could it be that this dude had blue eyes? The camera can only pick up light or dark tones, people with light blue eyes may have appeared this way?
I do not really know what the explanation could be, but look at all of their eyes there.

Ice Nine

Monkwee said:
and this one of (what might be the corpse of) Robert E. Lee, takes the cake for weirdest, is this a painting, photograph or mixture of both?

View attachment 11

It looks like a back drop, to the right of the horse you can just make out the backs of some soldiers. They look more art work than real figures. The horse included.

But Crikey, Lee is dead for sure. Boy they did weird, to my mind, shit back then. (Whenever it was) And they did it a lot, the pictures of the dead. It was apparently the thing to do. Sometimes it would be the only photo ever made of a person.

Last edited: