19th Century: Tunnel Boring Machines, Frederick Beaumont, Second Industrial Revolution

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Below: a contemporary plan of a tunnel boring machine from the 1880s on an idea by Colonel Frederick Beaumont and Thomas English. The tunnel boring machine was 9 meters (30 ft) long and was driven with compressed air.

Beaumont-tunnelbohrmaschine.jpg

I wanted to start by saying that if you know an Officer serving in the Military Corps of Engineers, ask that Officer to design a machine similar to the one above. If that Officer says that he cannot, let him know that Officer Beaumont, who died in 1899 could, and apparently did.

Frederick Beaumont
1833-1899
BeaumontFEB.jpg

Beaumont's Bio
  • He was born in Darfield, South Yorkshire and educated at the Harrow School, Harrow on the Hill, England
  • He served in the Royal Engineers and was commissioned on 23 June 1852
  • Beaumont saw service during the Crimean War, and was one of only a small number of British officers who served with Turkish forces along the Danube, serving with the (local) rank of Captain in the Turkish Contingent Engineers, for which service he was awarded the Turkish Crimean War medal rather than the British Crimean War Medal.
Beaumont Medals.jpg

Roman Empire?
  • In 1858 Beaumont again saw action, in the Indian Mutiny, during which he served on the staff of the Royal Engineers, distinguishing himself on 14 March 1858 at Lucknow and being awarded the Indian Mutiny Medal with clasp.
  • Promoted to Captain in 1866, Beaumont in conjunction with Captain F.E. Grover made efforts to get ballooning adopted by the British Army, Beaumont having witnessed the use of balloons in the American Civil War.
  • Beaumont was promoted to Major in 1872, and in 1873 was placed in charge of railways at the Royal Arsenal, Woolwich. While in the post he worked on methods for generating hydrogen for balloon experiments and was described by his contemporaries as "a man of remarkably inventive talent."
  • In 1874 Beaumont became involved with the Channel Tunnel Company and successfully bored a number of tunnels without the use of explosives and more than three times faster than manual labour.
  • He invented a tunneling machine which was accidentally credited with work actually carried out by Captain Thomas English's more successful machine in 1880, in the magazine The Engineer.
  • In 1876 Beaumont took leave from the Army and was elected one of the two Members of Parliament for South Durham which he held from 1868 to 1880.
  • Beaumont retired from the Army shortly after his promotion to Colonel in 1877, and died on 20 August 1899.
Beaumont's Education
Nothing in the above information suggested that Beaumont could design, and build the below. Unless in the mid-nineteenth century the British Royal Military was producing mechanical engineers of this caliber, there had to be an alternate explanation for such ingenuity. Where is the precursor to this invention? Of course we have this 1868 mining equipment, but it is essentially in the same boat with the machine below. But speaking of Beaumont, where did he gain the knowledge to design the machine of such complexity?

Beaumont-tunnelbohrmaschine_1_1.jpg

Up till this very moment I failed to google out any education related bio information, other than the above Wikipedia bullets. But what I did find, suggests that there is much more than just Beaumont's education, the official history chose to omit.

augustus_loftus.jpg

You have to love names like Augustus Loftus. It's almost like they had to insert "William Frederick" into this name to make it sound somewhat normal. Anyways, it's the contents of this document, which are remarkable enough to start asking totally different questions.

Unless this Mr. Beaumont was attending some evening mechanical engineer classes in between the 19th century Crimean War battles, I have a theory on the above educational non-sense.
  • Frederick Beaumont was a mechanical engineer first, and a soldier second
  • The mid-19th century events forced him into the military
  • The quality of education received by him in the 1840s is being hidden from public knowledge, for it was never supposed to exist back then
  • And I am not really sure where 1840s are located on the real time scale
Was the so-called Industrial Revolution merely a process of indoctrination of the pre-existing technology? From one of the previous posts, it appears that they were indoctrinating the pre-existing tech from probably late 1850s, or early 1860s. Just look at the below inventions being registered one after another in the 1880s. This is only one book, and only New South Wales registered "inventions".

I honestly start thinking that the entire length of the Second Industrial Revolution (1850-1914) was the process of legitimizing the pre-existing technological achievements. I am opened for ideas on what the 1750-1850 period was used for.

Industrial_Revolution_2.jpg

Could the above theory be the reason why no information was ever located pertaining to the below 1908 Gary W. Va. mine machine? Or could it be that they were good to the point where they could go from a pickaxe to this "1908 machine" in one stride without any developmental evidence? We still don't have any info on this mining equipment, by the way.

1908_tractor_1.jpg

1840s-80s Tunneling Machines

1846 Henri-Joseph Maus's Mountain Slicer
1846 Henri-Joseph Maus Slicer.jpg

1853 Wilson's Tunneling Machine
1853 Wilson Tunneling Machine.jpg

Source

1860s Beach's Tunneling Machine
beach_tunneling_machine_1.jpg

NYC’s first subway was luxurious, pneumatic and built illegally - NY Daily News

1867 Doering & Sachs
Drilling / Tunneling Machine
1867-Doering & Sachs Tunnel Machine.jpg

Source

1868 Low's Boring Machine
Low's Rock Boring machine built by E R & F Turner of Ipswich.jpg

1868 boring machine, and some other equipment examples

1874 Brunton Machine
brunton-machine.jpg

Source

1882 Beaumont Machine
beaumont_tunnel_machine.jpg

Source

The above machines are the ones I found fairly quickly. Pretty sure some extra digging could produce several additional ones. At the same time, I have a strong suspicion that many of those did not make it through time. Interestingly enough, but I have not seen a single photograph of any of the presented machines. What's new, right?

Obviously being able to google this stuff out suggests that none of this is some sort of secret information. Yet, this is definitely not something taught at school. I have hard time imagining that many people comprehend the level of the mid-19th century tech.

I think this technology was re-introduced into the world, which could suggest that we have no idea how old it truly is.

Below is one of the photographs, which I suspect, ended up slipping through the censorship cracks.

*****​
KD: May be the existence of such machines in the past could explain those thousands of miles of underground tunnels located all over the world. Some of them are being called sewers, and some are being used as subways. The hidden meaning behind the existence of these machines in the past, reflected in the current existence of the old tunnels is within the entire infrastructure which had to surround this level of technology. I doubt this technology could materialize out of nothing, and existed by itself, detached from all the other segments of life. Yet, we appear to know nothing about the true state of things back in the day. Hopefully we will get there one day.

Ice Nine

Hey KD why didn't they get some of these to help Bertha out!?! I mean 4 years to dig a 1.7 mile tunnel! that's 3 years behind schedule, but still if it was going to take them 1 year to go 1.7 miles, that's at a snails pace.

Anyway, nothing will make me accept that the above machinery was made when it was said to have been.

OP
OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Hey KD why didn't they get some of these to help Bertha out!?! I mean 4 years to dig a 1.7 mile tunnel! that's 3 years behind schedule, but still if it was going to take them 1 year to go 1.7 miles, that's at a snails pace.

Anyway, nothing will make me accept that the above machinery was made when it was said to have been.
Bertha, LOL.
On December 6, 2013, work was halted approximately 1,083 feet (330 m) into the planned 9,270-foot-long (2,830 m) route because of an unexpected impediment. Initially, it was thought that the machine had damaged several of its cutting blades after encountering a steel pipe that was used to measure groundwater in 2002 around the Alaskan Way Viaduct. However, subsequent investigations revealed that portions of the main bearing seal system were damaged, which caused the bearing to overheat during operation. Over the next two years, a recovery pit was dug from the surface in order to access and lift the machine's cutterhead for repair and partial replacement in 2015.
I have a hypothesis on that. They did not know that they would have to burrow through the walls of the buried ancient city. The one which used to belong to the ancestors of those Know-Nothing Native Americans. The one buried under the mud.

It had to be hard to drill a hole through something like this.

Seattle_Underground.jpg

I think some of the Seattle hills could have 10-12 story buildings buried underneath.

Silvanus777

Isn't it funny how modern pop-cultural things could often be interpreted as hinting hidden truths.

Doesn't mean anything and has no real bearing on uncovering the previous North American civilization(s), but I couldn't help but
feel reminded of "Old New York" in Matt Groening's "Futurama. New New York was just built on top of Old New York, which serves
as kinda an underworld, also used as a sewer or garbage dump and populated by lowly natives (which are all mutants).

Futurama Old New York.jpg

Hilarious how these coincidences play out all the time. LOL! :D

Will I am

Bertha, LOL.
I have a hypothesis on that. They did not know that they would have to burrow through the walls of the buried ancient city. The one which used to belong to the ancestors of those Know-Nothing Native Americans. The one buried under the mud.

It had to be hard to drill a hole through something like this.

I think some of the Seattle hills could have 10-12 story buildings buried underneath.
This picture looks like it was run through photo shop look at the lower left area, it does not look real.

Silvanus777

This picture looks like it was run through photo shop look at the lower left area, it does not look real.
Just as an aside as the opportunity presents itself: Are any of you guys familiar with photo forensics type of software/programs?

I had thought about running some suspicious looking 19th and early 20th century photos through something like this, but I am not sure if the program can detect non-digital (pre-photoshop so to say) photo retouching. Would be interesting to find some old BW photos that are clearly retouched and/or declared as such and see what happens... IF this could be used to spot old photos that have been manually altered, it could be a useful tool for us... Need to look into that.

At the risk of this being old news here already as well, I ran the above photo through a photo forensics tool anyways, did the "Error Level Analysis" thing, and it came out perfectly unsuspicious. See the fake photo at the bottom for comparison. Just did this for curiosities sake and as I said, it would be worthwile to analyse old photos with this kinda program IF it would be able to detect conventional retouching techniques used before the digital era.

(At least this establishes it's not a photoshopped image. I guess, haha!! :D)

Photoforensics Comparison Seattle Underground small.jpg

Ice Nine

That picture is real, I'm sure of that, it would be hard to fake the rail posts of the metal fencing where they over lap the parked cars. Anyway that is how the underground city is. Which when you think about the whole situation with Seattle, changing elevations and what not. The lower part of Seattle, the waterfront, so it burns down in 1889 and they decide well it was too low anyway, let's just build over it and raise the city. but then farther up the streets, it's way too steep, so they have to regrade that part of Seattle, and if anybody is familiar with Seattle, most of the streets, to this day are rather steep to drive up. I don't like quite a few of them. So if the original purpose of the "regrade" was to lower buildings and streets, they should have done a little more digging.

Will I am

That picture is real, I'm sure of that, it would be hard to fake the rail posts of the metal fencing where they over lap the parked cars. Anyway that is how the underground city is. Which when you think about the whole situation with Seattle, changing elevations and what not. The lower part of Seattle, the waterfront, so it burns down in 1889 and they decide well it was too low anyway, let's just build over it and raise the city. but then farther up the streets, it's way too steep, so they have to regrade that part of Seattle, and if anybody is familiar with Seattle, most of the streets, to this day are rather steep to drive up. I don't like quite a few of them. So if the original purpose of the "regrade" was to lower buildings and streets, they should have done a little more digging.
I don't doubt that it is real, I just don't see anything tangible on the lower left side, it could be a bad photo. This is the noise option using forensic tool. I'm not trying to discredit, I just look at things a little more closely than I used too.

seattle_pic.jpg

Last edited:

Searching

I don't doubt that it is real, I just don't see anything tangible on the lower left side, it could be a bad photo. This is the noise option using forensic tool. I'm not trying to discredit, I just look at things a little more closely than I used too.

That dirt in the lower left does look suspect. At the same time, I do think this is a real pic, though.

After looking at all those obviously fake Civil War pics, I'm thinking the explanation to this is that history is changing before our very eyes. We're witnessing it through pictures.
Sounds crazy, I know, but if I were "sane" like everyone else, I wouldn't be here. :whistle:

Ice Nine

That dirt in the lower left does look suspect. At the same time, I do think this is a real pic, though.

After looking at all those obviously fake Civil War pics, I'm thinking the explanation to this is that history is changing before our very eyes. We're witnessing it through pictures.
Sounds crazy, I know, but if I were "sane" like everyone else, I wouldn't be here. :whistle:
I've been thinking about just that. How just in my lifetime, 66 years, all of the "misrepresented events" that have happened. Just in our country alone, JRK, RFK, MLK, 911, Smithsonian (i.e Goobermint) shenanigans, all the racial tensions (somebody is always intentionally stirring the pot to keep things amped up, heaven forbid we should all just get along with each other) changing history while it is happening, when you are inside an ongoing story it is really difficult to see what is going on a lot of the times.
I don't believe we live in a Matrix as in nothing is real, but in a way, that is exactly what it is, we are living in a manufactured world. The narrative is being controlled. And even when some of us do think we are seeing what is going on, well we are relegated to the nutters corner.

Sorry I got off onto a side track.

Will I am

I've been thinking about just that. How just in my lifetime, 66 years, all of the "misrepresented events" that have happened. Just in our country alone, JRK, RFK, MLK, 911, Smithsonian (i.e Goobermint) shenanigans, all the racial tensions (somebody is always intentionally stirring the pot to keep things amped up, heaven forbid we should all just get along with each other) changing history while it is happening, when you are inside an ongoing story it is really difficult to see what is going on a lot of the times.
I don't believe we live in a Matrix as in nothing is real, but in a way, that is exactly what it is, we are living in a manufactured world. The narrative is being controlled. And even when some of us do think we are seeing what is going on, well we are relegated to the nutters corner.

Sorry I got off onto a side track.
Yes a manufactured world in the sense that someone(s) is creating our reality for us, by lying about almost everything. Looking at these boring machines, yes they must have had machinery to build all these tunnels, but my 40 years of machining background knows that the cutting tools used today are mostly carbide and carbide was first used in cutting tools in 1927. Those tunnels were there long before 1927 and High speed steel for cutting through rock just won't do it. So again how could they have made them without modern cutting tools?

Cemented carbide - Wikipedia

Paracelsus

I'd be inclined to say that the whole "technology is at least 40 years ahead on the Top Secret side" is vastly under-rated. The boring equipment in this post is where we are currently. If there is indeed a break-away civilization, we are at least a century behind it.

OP
OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
The Thames Tunnel was completed in 1843, designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel and his father Marc. By the way, this is the same Brunel, who allegedly built - The impossible ship: SS Great Eastern a.k.a. Leviathan

Brunel
brunel.jpg

1806-1859

The Thames Tunnel
brunel-tunnel-4.jpg

brunel_tunnel_31.jpg

In November 1827 a flamboyant Isambard Kingdom Brunel organised a public relations event under the River Thames. The Tunnel was draped in crimson and long tables were covered in white damask and set with silver and crystal. Fifty guests feasted, lit by decorative candelabra from the Portable Gas Company, and the band of the Coldstream Guards played the National Anthem, 'Rule Britannia', and – for the Duke of Wellington, seated right – 'See the Conquering Hero Comes'.

brunel_tunnel_1.jpg

The Thames Tunnel was fitted out with lighting, roadways and spiral staircases during 1841–1842. An engine house on the Rotherhithe side, which now houses the Brunel Museum, was also constructed to house machinery for draining the tunnel.

Thamestunnelshaft_1.jpg

The tunnel was finally opened to the public on 25 March 1843
brunel_tunnel.jpg

brunel_tunnel_5.jpg

KD: 1820s-1840s for us... just FYI

Silvanus777

Man... seriously I am by no means knowledgeable in engieering, machine construction or tunnelling, but come on:

First off, who names their kid "Isambard Kingdom" (sounds like a place in Middle Earth, not a person), but that's not what kills it for me. If you look at the drawing you showed right below the top hat fellow, and specifically the bottom middle panel that seems to show the ongoing construction of the tunnel, are we actually supposed to understand how this supposedly worked? I mean there's just a platform on wheels I guess and then some movable (?) support thing on which 3 or 4 guys just hew away at the hard rock I suppose? And 5 more guys or so carting off rubble and putting the stone/brick panelling in place? So they dug the tunnel completely manually?

Question: The top two drawings do depict the same tunnel as the rest of the old images, right KD? If so, they can't even keep some basic consistency in their supposedly contemporary drawings. I mean first the tunnel is about the height of three men, then look at the lower images where they're dining and marvelling.

Well, forgive my ranting - the million dollar question is "what to make of all of this" besides just pointing out inconsistencies and going nuts over it?
(only in a figurative sense of course ;) )

Anyways, collecting puzzle pieces like this to come ever so slightly closer to the real picture is the best that can be done at this point I guess! And thanks to your (and others) unceasing research, we will, I am convinced. :) Sure as heck is a fascinating endeavour, both to watch and to contribute to!

OP
OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
today
brunel_tunnel_1.jpg

brunel_tunnel_6.jpg

brunel_tunnel_7.jpg

back then
brunel-thames-tunnel-33.jpg
Question: The top two drawings do depict the same tunnel as the rest of the old images, right KD? If so, they can't even keep some basic consistency in their supposedly contemporary drawings. I mean first the tunnel is about the height of three men, then look at the lower images where they're dining and marvelling.
Supposed to be the same my friend, so I'm not sure why. My guess is as good as yours.

Below: a contemporary plan of a tunnel boring machine from the 1880s on an idea by Colonel Frederick Beaumont and Thomas English. The tunnel boring machine was 9 meters (30 ft) long and was driven with compressed air.

I wanted to start by saying that if you know an Officer serving in the Military Corps of Engineers, ask that Officer to design a machine similar to the one above. If that Officer says that he cannot, let him know that Officer Beaumont, who died in 1899 could, and apparently did.

Frederick Beaumont
1833-1899
View attachment 12894

Beaumont's Bio

• He was born in Darfield, South Yorkshire and educated at the Harrow School, Harrow on the Hill, England
  • He served in the Royal Engineers and was commissioned on 23 June 1852
  • Beaumont saw service during the Crimean War, and was one of only a small number of British officers who served with Turkish forces along the Danube, serving with the (local) rank of Captain in the Turkish Contingent Engineers, for which service he was awarded the Turkish Crimean War medal rather than the British Crimean War Medal.
View attachment 12896
Roman Empire?

• In 1858 Beaumont again saw action, in the Indian Mutiny, during which he served on the staff of the Royal Engineers, distinguishing himself on 14 March 1858 at Lucknow and being awarded the Indian Mutiny Medal with clasp.
  • Promoted to Captain in 1866, Beaumont in conjunction with Captain F.E. Grover made efforts to get ballooning adopted by the British Army, Beaumont having witnessed the use of balloons in the American Civil War.
  • Beaumont was promoted to Major in 1872, and in 1873 was placed in charge of railways at the Royal Arsenal, Woolwich. While in the post he worked on methods for generating hydrogen for balloon experiments and was described by his contemporaries as "a man of remarkably inventive talent."
  • In 1874 Beaumont became involved with the Channel Tunnel Company and successfully bored a number of tunnels without the use of explosives and more than three times faster than manual labour.
  • He invented a tunneling machine which was accidentally credited with work actually carried out by Captain Thomas English's more successful machine in 1880, in the magazine The Engineer.
  • In 1876 Beaumont took leave from the Army and was elected one of the two Members of Parliament for South Durham which he held from 1868 to 1880.
  • Beaumont retired from the Army shortly after his promotion to Colonel in 1877, and died on 20 August 1899.
Beaumont's Education
Nothing in the above information suggested that Beaumont could design, and build the below. Unless in the mid-nineteenth century the British Royal Military was producing mechanical engineers of this caliber, there had to be an alternate explanation for such ingenuity. Where is the precursor to this invention? Of course we have this 1868 mining equipment, but it is essentially in the same boat with the machine below. But speaking of Beaumont, where did he gain the knowledge to design the machine of such complexity?

Up till this very moment I failed to google out any education related bio information, other than the above Wikipedia bullets. But what I did find, suggests that there is much more than just Beaumont's education, the official history chose to omit.

You have to love names like Augustus Loftus. It's almost like they had to insert "William Frederick" into this name to make it sound somewhat normal. Anyways, it's the contents of this document, which are remarkable enough to start asking totally different questions.

Unless this Mr. Beaumont was attending some evening mechanical engineer classes in between the 19th century Crimean War battles, I have a theory on the above educational non-sense.
  • Frederick Beaumont was a mechanical engineer first, and a soldier second
  • The mid-19th century events forced him into the military
  • The quality of education received by him in the 1840s is being hidden from public knowledge, for it was never supposed to exist back then
  • And I am not really sure where 1840s are located on the real time scale
Was the so-called Industrial Revolution merely a process of indoctrination of the pre-existing technology? From one of the previous posts, it appears that they were indoctrinating the pre-existing tech from probably late 1850s, or early 1860s. Just look at the below inventions being registered one after another in the 1880s. This is only one book, and only New South Wales registered "inventions".

I honestly start thinking that the entire length of the Second Industrial Revolution (1850-1914) was the process of legitimizing the pre-existing technological achievements. I am opened for ideas on what the 1750-1850 period was used for.

Could the above theory be the reason why no information was ever located pertaining to the below 1908 Gary W. Va. mine machine? Or could it be that they were good to the point where they could go from a pickaxe to this "1908 machine" in one stride without any developmental evidence? We still don't have any info on this mining equipment, by the way.

View attachment 12910

1840s-80s Tunneling Machines

1846 Henri-Joseph Maus's Mountain Slicer
View attachment 13118

1853 Wilson's Tunneling Machine
View attachment 12919
Source

1860s Beach's Tunneling Machine
View attachment 12918
NYC’s first subway was luxurious, pneumatic and built illegally - NY Daily News

1867 Doering & Sachs
Drilling / Tunneling Machine
View attachment 12917
Source

1868 Low's Boring Machine
View attachment 12916
1868 boring machine, and some other equipment examples

1874 Brunton Machine
View attachment 12914
Source

1882 Beaumont Machine
View attachment 12912
Source

The above machines are the ones I found fairly quickly. Pretty sure some extra digging could produce several additional ones. At the same time, I have a strong suspicion that many of those did not make it through time. Interestingly enough, but I have not seen a single photograph of any of the presented machines. What's new, right?

Obviously being able to google this stuff out suggests that none of this is some sort of secret information. Yet, this is definitely not something taught at school. I have hard time imagining that many people comprehend the level of the mid-19th century tech.

I think this technology was re-introduced into the world, which could suggest that we have no idea how old it truly is.

Below is one of the photographs, which I suspect, ended up slipping through the censorship cracks.

*****​
KD: May be the existence of such machines in the past could explain those thousands of miles of underground tunnels located all over the world. Some of them are being called sewers, and some are being used as subways. The hidden meaning behind the existence of these machines in the past, reflected in the current existence of the old tunnels is within the entire infrastructure which had to surround this level of technology. I doubt this technology could materialize out of nothing, and existed by itself, detached from all the other segments of life. Yet, we appear to know nothing about the true state of things back in the day. Hopefully we will get there one day.
Do you know if there are blueprints of these machines? or if Universities back then taught how to make them?

Last edited: