American Civil War a Photographic History

sharonr

I came across this very interesting volume regarding the American Civil War during my research into the strange picture anomalies recorded during this period and feel like I sort of hit the jackpot. This is Volume 2, and there are a total of 10 Volumes. I have not looked at any other Volumes yet, but this book itself is 364 pages and was quite a bit to review in itself.

What I would like to do is present a few* of the photographs from this book, including the captions and then make some personal comments on my take. The direct link is below, and I encourage you to scroll through the book yourself. What I would like to focus on is the pictures that are recorded. I feel I am getting one story from the pictures, and then a whole other story from the captions. You will soon see what I mean. It truly is propaganda at it's best.

*****After getting through this I realize I did a lot more than a few, but didn't even cover the end of the book. I find this fascinating. I chose to include all of this material because I wanted to portray an abridged version of volume 2, but there is a lot there. I could have just posted the link and left it at that. Sorry this is so long. For those that are interested in this, I'm sure it is alright. It's just that this particular point in time, with photography being "new" and a massive war going on, there is a lot to cover. If I'm to claim that something else went down instead of what we are told, I think you have to look at all the evidence. Maybe I over did it, but there is a lot of interesting stuff going on here.

First, a bit of my background and why I am covering the Civil War (American): I was born a raised in Fredericksburg, Virginia. A hot spot of Civil War activity. It surrounded me from every side, and I think the entire region, including Chancellorsville, Wilderness, Bull Run, ect. ect. was supposedly the sites of massive amount of battles. I also went to university in Richmond (VCU, not the University OF Richmond) another important player in the war. I've lived in the city of Richmond a total of 13 years and Fredericksburg a total of 24. My family is NOT from Fredericksburg originally, my dad grew up in Iowa, my mom Florida, and we moved there from California right before my birth in 1973, around 110 years from when these photos were taken.

About this volume 2: It was published in 1911, about 48 years after the pictures were taken. There are no first hand accounts included (well there are, but very dubious retellings), but they describe themselves as EXPERTS on what went on. They seemed to know exactly what went on.

Some of the points I observed I will use pictures to illustrate. These are just my personal observations and may mean nothing at all:

1. I don't see anything obvious that determines that this is indeed 1863. Nothing seems much different from 1863 photos to 1900 photos (not from the book, but my own other research.)
2. The book starts out with a lot of pictures of men, not even in uniform, fixing bridges, railroad bridges, building pontoons to cross rivers, tents, ect. but I am certainly not seeing anything war related in the beginning photos, the captions are another story....(the captions are on the pages with the pictures)
3. There are no photos of actual battles.
4. There are some photos of troops, only Union troops, but I never saw what could amount to thousands of troops. Will elaborate with book excerpt below.
5. There are cannons but not many pictures with them. I don't have any ideas about the cannons.
6. There are dead bodies, many pictures of dead men, most with out any guns, but there are a few where they have their guns.
7. Pictures of dead animals, some are mysterious, most are dead horses (pretty sad).
8. There are a lot of barren landscapes and some ruins. There are also a lot of intact towns. The pictures of the towns, houses and civilians are interesting in their own right. What was going on?
9. There are pictures of the American Flag, but NO pictures of the Confederate Flag. There is only 1 picture of Confederate troops which is probably my favorite, it is so strange and weird, very dark shadowy figures, no facial distinction at all, where as all the photos of the Union troops are very clear. This picture was taken in Fredericksburg which is pretty cool to me.
10. They are mostly in rural areas and small towns.
11. There is only ONE army. Except for the one picture of the Confederates supposedly, there is only one army trooping through the land: north, south, east and west. Just one army we can see.

My goal with this post is for others who are interested to possibly look at the photos with no story in your head (obviously you know the story, but I think you know what I mean), read the captions of the official story and let me know if we can make head or tales of what is really going on. Obviously going to the link and looking at the entire volume will help, but this is a at least a start.

The photographic history of the Civil War : thousands of scenes photographed 1861-65

Below is the link to the entire book. Please go there and scroll through the entire book. It is fascinating in its way. I didn't want to copy and paste the entire book, so I just chose a few pictures. (which ended up being a lot of pictures).

The photographic history of the Civil War : thousands of scenes photographed 1861-65, with text by many special authorities

First I would like to start with this gem. Abe Lincoln and his top secret service man (to Abe's right) and his top general, to his left. Notice the hidden hands (wink wink). Please read all the captions as you go along. Obviously my point is the pictures tell a story and the captions tell another I am not quite seeing. Except for the one weird picture, there are no Confederate troops or flags, but lots and lots is written about them.

1535901417863.png

The only photo of the very mysterious, shadowy, and dark Confederates. The shadows on the buildings do not match the darkness of their faces, in my opinion. This picture is my favorite since I think it is one of the strangest. And this is the ONLY photo they have of these mysterious and elusive Confederate troops. (There are obviously other pictures of Confederates, but this is the only one in these "real time" volumes. (note this is out of sequence.)

This is Wiki's caption: Here is the only known instance in which the Union photographers succeeded in getting a near view of the Confederate troops. Mathew Brady's photo shows the other bank of Rappahannock after General Lee allowed Federal troops to collect bodies of fallen soldiers.[54]

1535904001506.png

So to start in semi procession, we are in the northern part of Virginia, which is supposed to be confederate territory. Although even today there are arguments between Fredericksburg and anywhere north of Stafford county who is really Southern. Fredericksburg claims it is the last real southern city and wants nothing to do with Northern Virginia (or better known as the DC suburbs). At least when I was there. My parents and brother still live there. But as for the pictures, they blur the line also. Anything above Fredericksburg seems northern territory, but Virginia did secede from the Union. There is no evidence really of any enemies south either. Actually I get the sense the Union army was just traipsing all over the place not paying any mind to who lived there.

To me the pictures do not show anyone that appears to be a soldier. Sometime very mysterious soldier figures will show up in a photo as if placed there. They are fun to look for. But for the most part I am not seeing an army. They look like regular people (civilians). The captions have a whole other point of view. (The army will show up later).

These pictures are the beginning of the book. I don't even see a cannon until page 63. Please go to the link to see the entire thread. But mostly what I see are regular civilians making repairs to damaged railroad tracks and bridges. In the two right images below, there is a crew attempting to turn over a rolled train. The caption claims they are regular citizens helping the union efforts (in Virginia). There are several black men helping in the efforts. The pictures of the bridges ect. are again a crew of army engineers, I guess why they are not in uniform. This is in Northern Virginia, second battle of Bull Run. Please note in the right bottom picture (rolled train) the very strange looking Union Soldier in what looks like having been placed in the photo. He just looks odd compared to the others. You will see this in other strange photos of what appear to be regular ole civilians.

There is lots of train and bridge damage throughout. Seems like what they are mostly concerned about in the beginning. (there are more pictures in the link).

1535904681753.png 1535904841182.png 1535905094933.png 1535905230077.png 1535905265915.png

Enter the slave fugitives. The caption goes on about the decision to recruit run away slaves into their service, although the man on the horse looks like he is just trying to cross a river and he has no shoes on. But in the right photo, the young black man is obviously in uniform....watching a wagon cross a river.

1535909597744.png
1535920813008.png

I love the below photo. This could be a single stand alone photo in itself (like the one of the Confederate soldiers and Abe and his men.) It's a bunch of what looks like civilians goofing off on top of the Fairfax, VA courthouse. Please note the second figure from the left. There is your mysterious soldier. Completely out of place.

A lot of scenery shots where the supposed battles took place. Really not seeing signs of WAR though. (a little out of sequence, but I don't think matters for my photo journey). That last one on right is particularly interesting when you read the top caption.

1535908495087.png

Now we head North and see cannons for the first time. We will also start seeing dead bodies. Very eery and a bit disturbing. (had to remove the pictures because there were too many, but there are dead bodies below)

And then we are immediately back South, in Fredericksburg. The below picture is taken just after the battle. Hmmmm.... it was supposed to be a pretty intense battle, the field you see is the north bank of the Rappahanock (the side our house is on. Supposedly they found Union bullets when digging the foundation for our basement). The Union came in from the north and used pontoon boats/bridges to attack the town. I just don't see evidence of the "mass of troops" lining the banks, with tents and cannons. The earth doesn't seem to be bothered at all. (See the caption). And I am not trying to say there are no armies, weapons, or death. There is plenty of that, just not appearing as it is told.

The left photo (I had to remove because I had too many photos) is the left flank of pontoon bridges the North used to storm the city. Again, I want to point out there are a lot of bridges out all over. Maybe something went down to take them all out. The pontoon bridges make sense. I don't know what happened to remove all these bridges, but I am not seeing evidence yet of major battles. We will get to a lot of dead bodies though, and they are very mysterious.

1535911032702.png

Below is the Union general headquarters. After he resigned (or was fired) the house burned (it doesn't state anything about who started it ect.) but supposedly those are some troops trying to put out the fire and the right picture are the ruins. It does seem to be the same house.

The picture on the right is another demolished generals headquarters but this was definitely caused by the Confederates (those very elusive, never to be seen Confederates). The caption gives a great description of what happened.

1535911933907.png
1535912648109.png

Now the story is changing and we are getting troops and dead bodies and dead horses with carts.

1535913495362.png
1535913561103.png
1535913638057.png
1535913696862.png
1535916068802.png

Notice the picture on left is cropped. The camp on right is for a different battle, farther south.

1535914535759.png

You have to read the caption on the picture to the left. No where in any picture do I see evidence of 135,000 men (and that's just on one side). But they tell the story. Two different regions, but who are these guys? They aren't soldiers. The picture on the right are more fugitive slaves.
1535916687353.png

I just liked this picture and the caption......You go! You Union soldiers you! No other men like you.

1535916824523.png
1535916874270.png

Is it me, or are their eyes just really weird? (you need to expand the picture to see)

Look at the tree with the roots sticking up. Bizarre. There is a marching band standing on it.

1535917459153.png

There are supposed to be 21,000 troops behind that hill.

There was a picture of a small army with lots of lumber. Now I know what it was used for. At least it looks like war, or defense.

Cool picture below. Not sure what it is. It mentions something about mines. but also about soldiers using the holes for camps.

I didn't get all the way through, but I think this is a start. I find it interesting and would like other opinions. I don't really have one yet. Never seeing any Confederates makes me think there were none. That is as far as I've gotten with my theory. Thanks!

1535904960968.png 1535905001006.png 1535909368729.png 1535910702888.png 1535913318094.png
1535911378141.png 1535914379227.png 1535910331840.png

Last edited:

anotherlayer

ok, just for fun (sorry they are scrambled)...

civil_dudes.png

1. He has an elegant slender design. Very feminine, nice! Hidden hands, but where are they? Weird creasings in the pants, almost drawn in. Follow his leg down and you'll see it's shadow does not even remotely match up to the rest.
2. Aside from his hands appearing weird, his arm casts no shadow. It's clearly lifted outwards, which is a weird stance in and of itself, but yeah, no shadow casted?
3. Bro, yer arm is going in the wrong direction. War is terrible!
4. Who is this idiot? They brought their barber to the civil war party? Whoever he is, he's most likely dead or three sheets to the wind. (I think we can assume these are all dummies with photohopped faces). His shirt stripes are clearly painted in.
5. Woah, his leg is huge! And why is his kneecap on his shin bone. Again, war just ravages the body.
6. Nothing adds up with ol' Fidel Castro here. He's got his shadows all wrong unless this is the Lone Ranger. Cigar is also shadowless (that could be knitpicking).
7. Flat brimmed cap (loved they supplied these idiots with hats) but it's casting an arch. Maybe that's how the yellow sun worked, who can remember.
8. This idiot. Not much to say other than he looks like a modern day actor, some b-side guy but I can't picture who he reminds me of. Face has no shadow and his hairline is dumb.

Ugh, I can only imagine how annoying it was when that idiot would break out his fiddle while everyone was just trying to hang out and while-away all the bloodshed.
i bet that is the same actor who played Abe Lincoln.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sharonr

sharonr

Provost Marshalls HQ photo with the big wagon in front of the building, is that a giant standing next to the ox?
I can't wait to dive into all this
Oh wow! I didn't even notice that giant. I thought the men on the porch looked a bit standoffish, but that would explain it. I was going through everything, 3 times! and found new stuff every time. I can't even imagine how long 10 volumes is going to take....
View attachment 8000

1. He has an elegant slender design. Very feminine, nice! Hidden hands, but where are they? Weird creasings in the pants, almost drawn in. Follow his leg down and you'll see it's shadow does not even remotely match up to the rest.
2. Aside from his hands appearing weird, his arm casts no shadow. It's clearly lifted outwards, which is a weird stance in and of itself, but yeah, no shadow casted?
4. Who is this idiot? They brought their barber to the civil war party? Whoever he is, he's most likely dead or three sheets to the wind. (I think we can assume these are all dummies with photohopped faces). His shirt stripes are clearly painted in.
5. Woah, his leg is huge! And why is his kneecap on his shin bone. Again, war just ravages the body.
6. Nothing adds up with ol' Fidel Castro here. He's got his shadows all wrong unless this is the Lone Ranger. Cigar is also shadowless (that could be knitpicking).
7. Flat brimmed cap (loved they supplied these idiots with hats) but it's casting an arch. Maybe that's how the yellow sun worked, who can remember.
8. This idiot. Not much to say other than he looks like a modern day actor, some b-side guy but I can't picture who he reminds me of. Face has no shadow and his hairline is dumb.

Ugh, I can only imagine how annoying it was when that idiot would break out his fiddle while everyone was just trying to hang out and while-away all the bloodshed.

I find the picture with the guys with no eyes very disturbing. Don't even want to look at it. The confederate soldiers are disturbing also, but not so close up you can spot details.

I didn't even notice the figure along the left edge. These pictures get weirder and weirder.

View attachment 8000

But I did look at all you points and agree (excellent work)...just disturbing though.

Last edited:

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
First of all, thank you very much for taking time to share your opinion on this event we call Civil War. Great that we have a chance to read personal views, free of the dogmatic cliches and instilled narratives.

After reading the OP a few times, it appears (my personal opinion follows) that some of the photographs were taken after an event which caused all the destruction we observe. Yet, it can be sensed that the conflict was any longer. As in being over and done with, only the aftermath has left. Most likely it was a war, and it appears that this war had nothing to do with the Civil War narrative.

Some of the images could be authentic, and some could be recreated. I still stand by my opinion, that there was no american flag prior to... only now I do not know prior to what. If the Civil War was staged, then the flags could be a much later recreation.

There is something strange about this photo-shoot of Abe. I think he is too attached to the post. Could it be that he literally was attached to it?

Abraham-Lincoln-and-the-Civil-War_1.jpg

Abraham-Lincoln-and-the-Civil-War_2.png

While looking at the pictures of the Abe's funeral, I feel like there is something weird in there, but placing a finger on it will take some time. I think it was a totally different culture.

lincoln_hearse-P.jpeg LincolnChicago.jpg

And one last thing. I'm pretty sure quite a few of people like Lincoln, Grant and such did exist. For some reason it does appear that their bio could have been way different from the officially presented.

And the above Lincoln photos I added, they could be done long time after the real Abe was dead. Like way later... to add to some narrative.

It appears we do have no idea of what really happened.

OP
OP
sharonr

sharonr

First of all, thank you very much for taking time to share your opinion on this event we call Civil War. Great that we have a chance to read personal views, free of the dogmatic cliches and instilled narratives.

After reading the OP a few times, it appears (my personal opinion follows) that some of the photographs were taken after an event which caused all the destruction we observe. Yet, it can be sensed that the conflict was any longer. As in being over and done with, only the aftermath has left. Most likely it was a war, and it appears that this war had nothing to do with the Civil War narrative.

Some of the images could be authentic, and some could be recreated. I still stand by my opinion, that there was no american flag prior to... only now I do not know prior to what. If the Civil War was staged, then the flags could be a much later recreation.

There is something strange about this photo-shoot of Abe. I think he is too attached to the post. Could it be that he literally was attached to it?

While looking at the pictures of the Abe's funeral, I feel like there is something weird in there, but placing a finger on it will take some time. I think it was a totally different culture.

And one last thing. I'm pretty sure quite a few of people like Lincoln, Grant and such did exist. For some reason it does appear that their bio could have been way different from the officially presented.

And the above Lincoln photos I added, they could be done long time after the real Abe was dead. Like way later... to add to some narrative.

So I've thought about it since going through that book about 5 times now and have come up with an idea. I think it's a good one, but as with anything in the hidden history files, I don't know. But I like it:

A cataclysm happened, (I don't think a massive one that destroyed everything, obviously. I have been looking into mud flood ect. for quite some time now and there is something to it.) I do think the buildings could be from another times period/civilization.....but I don't know who was here, and how we may have returned. Or if we were just out of the cities. I have quite a bit of ancestral history in the US that goes way back. But they were all rural people. It might be false, or it might be something else. No idea. I've been playing with the idea something happened only in the cities. Or do I have a fake history? Are my great great grandparents not who they are? It's hard to mix mud flood ect. in.

Anyway, I think this stems from one of your ideas also (probably in other posts): I think things got destroyed. I think the Federal Government was new, or took over, but had to go into these more rural, or southern or wherever areas to enforse the NEW government. Maybe the entire US, but these civil war areas were the last holdouts. I think the photographers were recording the inspection crews/engineers to do repairs/assess the damage ect. I think the army (and in the book they specifically call it the Federal Army, so I'm going to start using that term because it is a better description than Union, which is a misnomer) this FEDERAL Army traipsed around these areas, with their Federal Flag (stars and stripes) and cannons, and guns and occupied these regions until they relented and were forced to become Federal territory. Maybe the war that caused the destruction was the main war, possibly years and years beforehand, and these were the remaining hold outs. The Federal Government, the bad guys who took over. The Civil War is a cover up, and villainizes the last hold outs. I'm thinking slavery was a cover up to make the south look bad. (And it worked!!) I think all history after that: 1900's and on is FAKE.

I just can't wrap my head around the dummies or dead people posing for picture, although I have seen some creepy stuff in that book. I'm just not sure it is necessary when they can fake the entire narrative and history using real people. But I am still thinking about it. I have a very open mind to anything that I can see logically being applied.

As for the time periods I made a note in the original post, you can't trust dates. You can't. I'm not sure when any of this went down.

Relating it back to my ancestors, it makes sense they would have been holding out :) I doubt any of my people would want anything to do with these Federal Government people.

I am going to do a part 2 on the same volume because there is another narrative in there (a couple actually) that I think supports this idea.

Re: I've been playing with the idea something happened only in the cities. I think it happened everywhere but the rural people and southern areas recovered differently than the city people. Maybe they are the ONLY ones who survived. Why they were holding out from the enemy/ new government.

If you expand and zoom in, besides the weird looking "confederates" the window, second down on the right, has a fake cannon sticking out. Didn't notice before. The shadow doesn't quite match the lamp above the white door. And it looks fake.

So I've thought about it since going through that book about 5 times now and have come up with an idea. I think it's a good one, but as with anything in the hidden history files, I don't know. But I like it:

A cataclysm happened, (I don't think a massive one that destroyed everything, obviously. I have been looking into mud flood ect. for quite some time now and there is something to it.) I do think the buildings could be from another times period/civilization.....but I don't know who was here, and how we may have returned. Or if we were just out of the cities. I have quite a bit of ancestral history in the US that goes way back. But they were all rural people. It might be false, or it might be something else. No idea. I've been playing with the idea something happened only in the cities. Or do I have a fake history? Are my great great grandparents not who they are? It's hard to mix mud flood ect. in.

Anyway, I think this stems from one of your ideas also (probably in other posts): I think things got destroyed. I think the Federal Government was new, or took over, but had to go into these more rural, or southern or wherever areas to enforse the NEW government. Maybe the entire US, but these civil war areas were the last holdouts. I think the photographers were recording the inspection crews/engineers to do repairs/assess the damage ect. I think the army (and in the book they specifically call it the Federal Army, so I'm going to start using that term because it is a better description than Union, which is a misnomer) this FEDERAL Army traipsed around these areas, with their Federal Flag (stars and stripes) and cannons, and guns and occupied these regions until they relented and were forced to become Federal territory. Maybe the war that caused the destruction was the main war, possibly years and years beforehand, and these were the remaining hold outs. The Federal Government, the bad guys who took over. The Civil War is a cover up, and villainizes the last hold outs. I'm thinking slavery was a cover up to make the south look bad. (And it worked!!) I think all history after that: 1900's and on is FAKE.

I just can't wrap my head around the dummies or dead people posing for picture, although I have seen some creepy stuff in that book. I'm just not sure it is necessary when they can fake the entire narrative and history using real people. But I am still thinking about it. I have a very open mind to anything that I can see logically being applied.

As for the time periods I made a note in the original post, you can't trust dates. You can't. I'm not sure when any of this went down.

Relating it back to my ancestors, it makes sense they would have been holding out :) I doubt any of my people would want anything to do with these Federal Government people.

I am going to do a part 2 on the same volume because there is another narrative in there (a couple actually) that I think supports this idea.

Re: I've been playing with the idea something happened only in the cities. I think it happened everywhere but the rural people and southern areas recovered differently than the city people. Maybe they are the ONLY ones who survived. Why they were holding out from the enemy/ new government.

If you expand and zoom in, besides the weird looking "confederates" the window, second down on the right, has a fake cannon sticking out. Didn't notice before. The shadow doesn't quite match the lamp above the white door. And it looks fake.

Looking at Abe's funeral, WOW, never seen those pictures before. You are so right! Not Civil War at ALL. (I have a BFA in Interior Design, and have studied some architecture.) I'm no expert, but pretty good at spotting anomalies. Why I love mud flood so much. We were told it was all victorian REVIVAL and it does not make sense to me. In your picture of the arches they even planted that fake unio...whoops federal soldier in there. I can spot him anywhere now.

Last edited:

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
I think we have enough circumstantial evidence that the war was misrepresented, and that the society at the time was different.

Obviously an observer would need to spend some time to confirm that for himself. That’s where the early stopper is usually at.

For those who see the inconsistencies, what do you think the next step should be in figuring out what that pre 1860s society was all about? And ultimately the true cause of the global mudflood event.

OP
OP
sharonr

sharonr

I guess that is the ultimate question. It's almost 2 am here, will get back to ya. Takes deep thought....

OP
OP
sharonr

sharonr

Fake cannons? Hmm, there were Quaker guns.

This is an interesting link for sure. When you find a link like this in Wiki, you know it was placed there for a reason. I never even knew there were fake cannons. Why would they include this if there was not some reason?

I'm not sure what to make of the cannons. I keep changing my mind. I don't think there were many, and could have been used as show only. After looking at the carnage of people and horses, (and wagons) I think they were the "hold outs", small guerilla units that were killed by the Federal army. I can't be sure, but I don't think all of the bodies are fake. Some things are very obviously faked in the photos, and some are very elusive. I think at least some of these people and horses were killed. They are not soldiers though. These were not armies fighting another army. They were small groups of men. And I think they were murdered maybe by gun and maybe by cannon although no idea actually what was used (the one of the horses with the carts).
the rails in the second picture seem to be 2.5 meter wide

This whole picture is strange, the more you look at it. I'm going to have to go home and look for any of these structures still existing. This picture has to be on the river bank. There is a wheel house which is on the river, I would assume. This is taken in the city, so it is the southern bank of the Rappahannock. So the train tracks which are incredibly WIDE, yes! are coming from across the river. But that structure they placed there for the confederates is obviously blocking the train tracks heading south. It looks as if the entire town is blocking the train tracks. Plus there were no bridges going across. There is a photo showing the entire bank, and no railway bridges. They had to use pontoon bridges. This is ridiculous!

The tall house behind the brick wheel house looks old and abandoned, but Fredericksburg is a Revolutionary War Era city. George Washington had his boyhood home right across the river from where this picture is taken. Yes really! :) Looking at buildings from what would be possible leftovers from the "Tartary nation" (like in the entire, still existing downtown Richmond) and then looking at more rural towns and architecture is strange. It is hard trying to figure out what happened and when. But there is something to that also.

Maybe I should go re-study the Revolutionary War. I do live in Charlottesville, VA, home of Tom Jefferson and Monticello, and UVA (1819), Fredericksburg was the boyhood home to George Washington and his mother Mary lived there until her death, James Monroe, practiced law there, and when travelling between the two there is Oarnge, home of James Madison and Montpelier. Oh my gawd! I live right in the heart of the "start of the nation". Ha ha, just kidding. I have have known this my whole life, why I love "history" so much. One thing I do know, it is almost impossible to differentiate between Revolutioany War era architecture and civil war. Some of the supposed 1776 era architecture is actually much more impressive than the supposed 1865 era buildings.

On another note: Why isn't there a train that goes directly to Washington DC? (see below) It is only 55 miles north. Fredericksburg is the only city (even today) between Richmond and DC, (if you don't count Ashland) and include Alexandria as part of Washington DC. If they can build tracks over the Rappahannock, they can build over the Potomac. Washington DC is the capital of the nation, right?

Wiki: The Richmond, Fredericksburg and Potomac Railroad was chartered on February 25, 1834,[2] to run from Richmond north via Fredericksburg to the Potomac River. It opened from Richmond to Hazel Run in 1836, to Fredericksburg on January 23, 1837, and the rest of the way to the Potomac River at Aquia Creek on September 30, 1842. Steamboat service to Washington, D.C., and the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad was provided by the Washington and Fredericksburg Steamboat Company, later renamed the Potomac Steamboat Company, controlled by the railroad after 1845.[3]

Badly damaged during the Civil War, on October 11, 1870,[4] an extension to the north toward Quantico was authorized at a special meeting of the company's stockholders. The company's charter limited this branch to 10 miles, leaving it 1.7 miles short of the Alexandria and Fredericksburg Railroad. This split from the existing line at Brooke and ran north to Quantico, also on the Potomac. The old line to the Aquia Creek wharf was abandoned on the opening of the Quantico wharf on May 1, 1872.[5]

On the other end of the line the Alexandria and Washington Railroad was chartered on February 27, 1854, to build from the south end of the Long Bridge over the Potomac River south to Alexandria. That line opened in 1857. The railroad went bankrupt and was sold July 9, 1887, being reorganized November 23, 1887, as the Alexandria and Washington Railway. In 1873 the Baltimore and Potomac Railroad's branch over the Long Bridge opened, giving a route into Washington, D.C., over which the A&W obtained trackage rights.

Last edited:

Glumlit

Maybe it's a boat launch.

As in they built a huge ship on the banks of the river, on wheels on rails, then use the contraption they're standing on to shove the giant boat downhill into the water just out of frame in the foreground.

Almost like the picture was taken from the boat just after launch

OP
OP
sharonr

sharonr

Maybe it's a boat launch.

As in they built a huge ship on the banks of the river, on wheels on rails, then use the contraption they're standing on to shove the giant boat downhill into the water just out of frame in the foreground.

Almost like the picture was taken from the boat just after launch

Yes, it is a mysterious contraption for sure. The tracks make no sencse. The view is much too close to be from the opposite bank. And I remember hearing "officially", but will have to do research on it, that SUPPOSEDLY Fredericksburg was going to be where they were going to locate Washington DC. APPARENTLY the Rappahannock was WIDER and thought to be a potential large port city. But something happened and the Rappahannock got too narrow, or shallow (the reason for not doing it had something to do with the river, I think.....it was long ago I heard this, but I'm going to look into it.

The story wasn't "officia" at all, now I think about it. It was in a downtown Fredericksburg bar, over beers, about 10 years ago, I think, but it intrigued me and I've remembered that tale ever since. The current railway bridge goes over the city docks (just south of where this is and doesn't have a city blocking it. The docks are exactly at the place just south of downtown where the Rappahannock changes from rapids to deeper water and goes wider and deeper from there. It runs about 20 miles until it goes right to the Chesapeake.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sharonr

sharonr

@sharonr, do you think this topic could be directly related to this events here?

I think it is ALL related. Same architecture everywhere. Toronto, Richmond, Seattle....All the same architecture. Europe....we don't seem to have the elaborateness of that architecture (Russia, France ect...) with the massive buildings. So America was an out-crop of Tarters, came later. I think America was a nation of all sorts of races, but newer, who lived together peacefully for the most part, but was still a new nation (500-1000 years maybe? As opposed to thousands...)

A cataclysm happens, most likely man made with the pictures of the destruction, and city populations are gone. Rural populations, there was a mud flood, but maybe not so big deal. They were not "ATTACKED" because they were so rural. People lived FAR away from the cities, and unlike today, didn't travel to cities. Things were remote. ALL of my ancestors were ranchers....Texas, Florida, South Dakota...coincidence they survived? Did they know the cities existed? Did they know they were empty? Were they empty at that time? Did they think it was a localized flood, dug themselves out, continued existing? Or were they survivors and become ranchers because there was land to be had and the cities were maybe not habitable, so went out to the rural areas and began living? At the time everyone was aware of what happened, no big deal. Lets go make our life elsewhere. Maybe this isn't what you are asking. But I have to look at all scenarios to make sense of what could have happened and why we know nothing about it. You can apply these scenarios to the whole world I think.

Or the cataclysm happened before they even arrived. It was old news?

There are probably separate events. Cataclysm to end one civilisation, years later, population replenishes and then more recently, WAR and mud flood.

My ancestors may lead me to the truth. My ancestors all come from rural areas such as Florida. My moms people settled there supposedly when it was still under Spain, I have a Scottish great great great (however many) grandfather who was supposedly locked up in St. Augustine. (I swear I have a history that reads like Wikipedia) and wasn't let out until he converted to Catholicism (but don't worry, we really remained good ole Methodists). But my mom is the first of her family to even leave Florida. The ranch is still in the family (but the other half of the family, my grandfather and his brother had to sell their part when they were 12 and 14 and drop out of school to support their mother who got a divorce.) They are all millionaires and my granddad worked on the railroad his whole life and was poor.

My dad's dad is Texan (and also dropped out of school at 14) and his mother is from South Dakota. Her last name was Rich and her dad was a rancher and has an entire book written about him. My parents drove out there and went to the town and learned all this amazing history about my dad's grandfather. One interesting piece is he lived next door to Sitting Bull, who would stop by every so often and they would talk. He also did the last cattle run from South Dakota to Texas. He also surveyed and mapped a portion of the Dakotas. I need to get my hands on all that history but I need to go out to Omaha, Nebraska to retrieve it.

Last edited:

whitewave

In the very first picture you presented with Pinkerton, Lincoln, and McClendan, there's a guy on the far left side sitting on the ground holding up a sign that looks like it says 1949. My eyes aren't great so would you take another look at it and see if that's what the sign actually says? Thanks.

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
In the very first picture you presented with Pinkerton, Lincoln, and McClendan, there's a guy on the far left side sitting on the ground holding up a sign that looks like it says 1949. My eyes aren't great so would you take another look at it and see if that's what the sign actually says? Thanks.
lincoln_mediator.jpg

Still does not explain why he would have this sign in his hand. Take #7949?

whitewave

Troop number maybe? Can't imagine why else it was important to show just a number for the photo. Thanks for enlarging