Are Cheetahs the result of ancient genetic engineering?

CyborgNinja

saudi_Cheetah.jpg
Cheetahs are great, the Saudis love them. They look nice and they're great with kids. You can have all the status that comes with owning a big cat but without having to worry about them ripping your face off. Why is this so? Could it be that someone in our past has been playing GOD? Now I could go into some long explination but instead im just gonna start dropping Cheetah facts and let you draw your own conclusions, okay...

cheetah.png

• Cheetahs are susceptible to diseases only cats get.
  • Cheetahs are susceptible to diseases only dogs get.
  • All cheetahs are genetically identical. "Clones".
    A remarkable feature of the cheetah is its unusually low genetic variability in comparison to other felids. Consequently, individuals show considerable genetic similarity to one another, as illustrated by skin grafts, electrophoretic evidence and reproductive surveys. A prolonged period of inbreeding, following a genetic bottleneck during the last ice age, is believed to be the reason behind this anomaly. The consequences of such genetic uniformity might include a low sperm count, decreased sperm motility, deformed flagella, difficulty in captive breeding and susceptibility to disease.
    -Wikipedia.
  • The black/brown fur spots of a Cheetah are dog hair.
  • The yellow fur coat is cat hair.
  • Cheetahs have the head of a cat but the body of a dog.
  • Cheetahs have dog paws.
    The generic name Acinonyx originated from the combination of two Greek words: akinetos means motionless, and onyx means claw. A rough translation of the word would be "non-moving claws", a reference to the limited retractability (capability of being drawn inside the paw) of the claws of the cheetah relative to other cats'.
    -Wikipedia.
    cheetah paws.jpg leopard paws.jpg
    (left)Cheetah paws. (Right)Leopard paws.​
Cheetahs have long been the choice of hunters through out the middle east, favoured for their speed and agility in chasing down prey.
egypt_2009_luxor_valley_nobles_Cheetah.jpg Cheetah ancient egypt.jpg
The cheetah was occasionally tamed and used like a hound by royalty, and live animals and skins were brought to Egypt as part of the tribute from Nubia. Queen Hatsheput is recorded as having cheetahs imported from Punt to become part of her royal zoo, and she also kept a pair as her personal pets.
-Source

Sadly however cheetahs lack the claws and jaw strength to successfully subdue prey when it is caught, typically a big cat would puncture the animal with its fangs and drag it to the ground with its retractable claws. In the cheetahs case, the only reliable method is to clutch onto the preys throat and pin it down suffocating the animal over several minutes. Hardly the winning survival strategy of an apex predator or result of evolutionary survival of the fittest.

There is much to suggest an abnormal origin for this bizarre freak of nature. Considering all of these attributes not to mention cheetahs holding the title of fastest land animal on earth, one might be forgiven for thinking there may have been a genetic engineering program conducted in antiquity.

This information was the result of research by the late Lloyd Pye. If you are interested in learning more you can start here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CyborgNinja

CyborgNinja

Great find, I would never even think about this. Appears that genetic engineering is the most logical conclusion.

This dog/cat hair is really weird, and paws...
It also has an extended spine so the front and back legs don't collide. This allows it to exceed normal running speeds compared with similar animals.

humanoidlord

alternative historian sibved did an large two parter on the subject of animals and plants that are "too good to be true", its in russian though and can be found here: Link 1 | Link 2

whitewave

There's a cheetah breeding preserve in Texas that is managed by my ex sister-in-law. We went to visit once. She told us that it was less than 100 years ago that the cheetah became an endangered species and preserves were created to try increasing their numbers. Intensive breeding programs (inbreeding) was the only option and now the cheetahs are so closely related to one another that they can take unfiltered blood transfusions from each other. If that's the case, I'd say they're STILL at a genetic bottleneck but I'm not a geneticist. There are plenty of weird creatures around and it may be that there has been genetic tampering/crossing of the species but it seems a simple matter of genetic testing/mapping to determine if the big cat has canine DNA.

OP
OP
CyborgNinja

CyborgNinja

There's a cheetah breeding preserve in Texas that is managed by my ex sister-in-law. We went to visit once. She told us that it was less than 100 years ago that the cheetah became an endangered species and preserves were created to try increasing their numbers. Intensive breeding programs (inbreeding) was the only option and now the cheetahs are so closely related to one another that they can take unfiltered blood transfusions from each other. If that's the case, I'd say they're STILL at a genetic bottleneck but I'm not a geneticist. There are plenty of weird creatures around and it may be that there has been genetic tampering/crossing of the species but it seems a simple matter of genetic testing/mapping to determine if the big cat has canine DNA.
Interesting. Another animal suffering from genetic bottle neck is the white rhino I believe, they say it happened thousands of years ago. The mother of a South African friend told me Black Rhino are notorious for their violent temperament but white Rhino are completely docile. Its the main reason they have been poached to near extinction.

The Wack

And now that I've been introduced to that theory (reality) the name Cheetah/Cheater pefectly fits it. That is a few steps beyond the old athletic 'performance enhancing drugs. And they are cheaters.

Yergen

Cheetahs are great, the Saudis love them. They look nice and they're great with kids. You can have all the status that comes with owning a big cat but without having to worry about them ripping your face off. Why is this so? Could it be that someone in our past has been playing GOD? Now I could go into some long explination but instead im just gonna start dropping Cheetah facts and let you draw your own conclusions, okay...

• Cheetahs are susceptible to diseases only cats get.
  • Cheetahs are susceptible to diseases only dogs get.
  • All cheetahs are genetically identical. "Clones".
    -Wikipedia.
  • The black/brown fur spots of a Cheetah are dog hair.
  • The yellow fur coat is cat hair.
  • Cheetahs have the head of a cat but the body of a dog.
  • Cheetahs have dog paws.
    -Wikipedia.
    View attachment 2531 View attachment 2532
    (left)Cheetah paws. (Right)Leopard paws.​
Cheetahs have long been the choice of hunters through out the middle east, favoured for their speed and agility in chasing down prey.
-Source

Sadly however cheetahs lack the claws and jaw strength to successfully subdue prey when it is caught, typically a big cat would puncture the animal with its fangs and drag it to the ground with its retractable claws. In the cheetahs case, the only reliable method is to clutch onto the preys throat and pin it down suffocating the animal over several minutes. Hardly the winning survival strategy of an apex predator or result of evolutionary survival of the fittest.

There is much to suggest an abnormal origin for this bizarre freak of nature. Considering all of these attributes not to mention cheetahs holding the title of fastest land animal on earth, one might be forgiven for thinking there may have been a genetic engineering program conducted in antiquity.

This information was the result of research by the late Lloyd Pye. If you are interested in learning more you can start here.
Very interesting, I've not heard of this before.
A question! Do you make a distinction between breeding program and genetic engineering(chemical/biological)?

Ice Nine

Great thread and information. I miss LLoyd Pye.

I think a breeding program is the simple way to hopefully make what you are trying to achieve. That is after the knowledge of the more advanced way of tinkering with DNA was lost to us, if we humans did indeed ever have that information ourselves to use.
I mean to say somebody had the knowledge and equipment to do this, but I don't think it was us, not as we are now. And they weren't breeding cats and dogs together so it has to be genetic engineering. And of course now we are finally going in that direction ourselves.

whitewave

Great thread and information. I miss LLoyd Pye.
I think a breeding program is the simple way to hopefully make what you are trying to achieve. That is after the knowledge of the more advanced way of tinkering with DNA was lost to us, if we humans did indeed ever have that information ourselves to use.
I mean to say somebody had the knowledge and equipment to do this, but I don't think it was us, not as we are now. And they weren't breeding cats and dogs together so it has to be genetic engineering. And of course now we are finally going in that direction ourselves.
My ex sister-in-law worked in Texas at the cheetah conservatory. I learned quite a bit going to visit her and getting a private tour (in which one of the "domesticated" cats ate my leather purse). Apparently, they were going extinct and some cheetah-loving philanthropist started a preserve for the few remaining cheetahs with an intense breeding program. They are so highly inbred that they are basically clones and can accept blood donations from any others of the pride without screening for differences. This seems like a genetic bottleneck with self-limiting consequences to me but they're still around so who knows. Magnificent animals and milder than lions or other big cats but still wild animals. We were able to walk openly in the pride pens but I was nervous doing so. I knew I couldn't outrun one. :)