Buffalo, NY - where are the people?

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
While looking at the photos pertaining to this Buffalo NY, Saint Paul Cathedral topic, I could not help it but notice, that the greatness of the City Of Buffalo does not match the amount of people in the streets. It is clearly not as bad as in this St. Peterburg, Russia topic, but still ... where are them Buffalo people?

What's interesting, this same high quality photos, show multiple US cities with the same numbers of people in the streets.

Do this photos appear staged to anyone else?

Year 1900 - 1908 (supposedly)

Buffalo_people_1.jpg Buffalo_people_2.jpg Buffalo_people_3.jpg Buffalo_people_4.jpg Buffalo_people_5.jpg Buffalo_people_6.jpg

anotherlayer

I have a gazillion photos. I was actually going to do a 'Buffalo' thread but, I didn't wanna crush the site with a ton of Buffalo stuff ;)

I won't hijack your thread, but maybe we can use it? How about a "temple"?

fed_res2.jpg fed_res_building.jpg

Of course they built a "marble temple" to house the Federal Reserve building (later the M&T Bank). And of course, they tore it down! I mean, who would want something so ugly, right? But... we saved the columns. Ugh...

baird.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Pretty sure trying to trace the building process from the ground up will produce jack nothing. I think for specific building investigations it is safe to start a nee thread. That’s what this site is for. If we need 20 Buffalo threads, we will have 20.

anotherlayer

I can't understand, why not the shadows of all people and lampposts points in the same direction around the square in the second picture. (where comes the light from?)
yeesh, good eye. i don't know enough about the sun, but i think you are correct that these shadows don't line up.

Screen Shot 2018-07-10 at 11.45.57 AM.png

guessing the sun is directly behind our view here. i guess shit bends, i'm sure there is an actual legit reason these are wonky.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
I can not think of one.

And what about the obelisk shadow comparing to all the other ones?

ISeenItFirst

Weird. Looks like both sides point to the center. I think a few you are seeing aren't the shadow though, but a tar strip or some such nonsense on the road. Still odd.

ISeenItFirst

I dont disagree. That post right next to the obelisk, the perpendicular member has a really odd shadow.

ISeenItFirst

I was thinking along those lines. Like a stitch job, composite image. But I see no evidence of that. Maybe a photo editor can do a little work and see if there is anything there.

anotherlayer

Identical perspective (the sun too) and the shadows have been drawn correctly. and another photo added with correct shadows.

Screen Shot 2018-07-11 at 10.00.00 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-11 at 9.56.48 AM.png

I think the sun is just playing games from being behind us. Except the two dudes in the bottom right. They have an odd angle for sure.

Screen Shot 2018-07-11 at 11.45.57 AM.jpg

Last edited:

humanoidlord

Identical perspective (the sun too) and the shadows have been drawn correctly. and another photo added with correct shadows.

View attachment 4344

View attachment 4345

I think the sun is just playing games from being behind us. Except the two dudes in the bottom right. They have an odd angle for sure.

View attachment 4346
yes these guys are the real WTF here, the other shadows are plausible due to different elevation and angle, but those 2 guys are definitely not in the original picture, wre they added to make the picture (unsucefully) more lively?

anotherlayer

[OFFTOPIC]this might also be a good hint that the sun is much closer than we think...[/OFFTOPIC]

ISeenItFirst

I was thinking about the closeness too, but I think it would have to be larger or flatter as well to create what we see here. Dunno, it's basically trigonometry, but I'm with wine, and nephews this evening.