The Phaeacians 'remarkable' ships

3D324695-61AA-4CC4-897C-A4D43C22C448.jpeg

The Phaeacians possessed remarkable ships. They were quite different from the penteconters, the ships used during the Trojan War, and they were steered by thought. King Alcinous says that Phaeacians carried Rhadamanthus to Euboea, "which is the furthest of any place" and came back on the same day. He also explains to Odysseus what sort of information the Phaeacian ships require in order to take him home to Ithaca.
"Tell me also your country, nation, and city, that our ships may shape their purpose accordingly and take you there. For the Phaeacians have no pilots; their vessels have no rudders as those of other nations have, but the ships themselves understand what it is that we are thinking about and want; they know all the cities and countries in the whole world, and can traverse the sea just as well even when it is covered with mist and cloud, so that there is no danger of being wrecked or coming to any harm."

Homer describes the Phaeacian ships as fast as a falcon and gives a vivid description of the ship's departure.
  • "The ship bounded forward on her way as a four in hand chariot flies over the course when the horses feel the whip. Her prow curvetted as it were the neck of a stallion, and a great wave of dark blue water seethed in her wake. She held steadily on her course, and even a falcon, swiftest of all birds, could not have kept pace with her."
R: I think the mention of going the farthest distance possible, and returning the same day, is alluding to a much higher rate of speed than your classic 'ship' could reach. Controlling it with your mind, makes me think of this ship from the old 80s movie "Flight of the Navigator".

Trimaxion_drone_ship.jpg

The island of Corfu, Greece, is the island where the Phaeacians originally lived. From wiki: The Greek name, [for Corfu] Kerkyra or Korkyra, is related to two powerful water deities: Poseidon, god of the sea, and Asopos, an important Greek mainland river. According to myth, Poseidon fell in love with the beautiful nymph Korkyra, daughter of Asopos and river nymph Metope, and abducted her. Poseidon brought Korkyra to the hitherto unnamed island and, in marital bliss, offered her name to the place: Korkyra, which gradually evolved to Kerkyra. They had a child they called Phaiax, after whom the inhabitants of the island were named Phaiakes, in Latin Phaeaciani. Corfu's nickname is the island of the Phaeacians.

"The Cyclopes are at one extreme of the social spectrum of the Odyssey. The almost godlike Phaeacians are at the other extreme, with the social and inventive Greeks somewhere in between. In the country of the Phaeacians it is perpetual spring. Their ships are the stuff of fairy tales, crossing the seas without the work of steersmen or oarsmen. Their life is made easy and graceful by their wealth, and the very gods sometimes dine with them. But they are slightly soft. (Their king tells Odysseus "We are not good boxers or wrestlers, but fast runners and unrivaled oarsmen. We love banquets, the lyre and the dance, frequent changes of clothing, warm baths, and the bed.") "

"Thucydides, in his Peloponnesian War, identifies Scheria as Corfu or, with its ancient name, Corcyra. In I.25.4, he records the Corinthians' resentment of the Corcyraeans, who "could not repress a pride in the high naval position of an island whose nautical renown dated from the days of its old inhabitants, the Phaeacians."

Below is a pic from "The 48 laws of Power", about Athens' preparation for the Peloponnesian war below. In a nutshell, Corcyra is super confident about their navy and basically suggests it is in Athens' best interest to have them on their side, due to their naval power. Almost like a threat.

v1.jpeg

One of these ships is supposedly petrified into stone as the island Kolovri Rock. A rock outside Corfu harbour, which is supposedly the ship that carried Odysseus back to Ithaca, but was turned to stone by Poseidon, to punish the Phaeacians for helping his enemy,

[…] with one blow from the flat of his hand turned her [the ship] into stone and rooted her to the sea bottom.

R: Here is what that rock (Kolovri Rock) looks like now.

kolovri-rock.jpg

Source

To me it looks like a shredded rocket.
What were they hiding in the harbor?

Below is a reported 1700s painting of Corfu Harbor.
1700._Prospettiva_della_Città_di_Corfu.jpg

R: Notice the huge black cube to the right of the fort. That is covering what should be harbor/open sea. Could it be covering up a painting of one of these fabled 'ships'? Could this 'ship' look more like what we typically think of as a ufo or spaceship, than the classic seafaring ship?

63157FEA-CA01-461B-B9EE-CDF97285000D.jpeg

square.jpg

Also zooming in on the starfort in this pic is like a close up of a futuristic city a la Bladerunner.

112A414A-260A-440B-8648-CBA68CD8E445.jpeg

The outline of the fort still looks pretty machine-like. Look to the right of it, all open water.

Corfu Harbor.jpg

The fort there is part of what was clearly a much larger starfort, that the town still stands upon. Supposedly built by Moors, the fort's peak, (a monstrosity which looks like the equivalent of a pile of mud dumped out of a child's pail), is striking, when you compare it to other parts of the entire structure, notably a lovely palace/temple of greco/romano (read: Tartarian) appearance. The graceful form and slope of the wave breakers are incredible to me, so beautiful.

ship1.jpg

ship2.jpg

Below are old paintings of the fort, which just scream mudflood.

68E3EDDD-233E-422D-9FE4-D0ADE1C7EA3E.jpeg

corfu2.jpg

993px-Corfu_Pinargenti_1573.jpg

2A5F73ED-2148-41D1-8BA6-ECF69CB62EB6.jpeg

Lastly, there was a joke that Germany supposedly made when Greece went bankrupt during the euro fiasco, that Germany would bail out Greece if they gave them Corfu. It's pretty and all, but what if there is some old tech on or in the island that they wanted to get their hands on? Just an interesting thought!

To me, seems like there are a couple things about this island that don't come across as the whole story. I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this topic

R: Here is what that rock (Kolovri Rock) looks like now.
Thought of the Millennium Falcon for some reason.

kolovri-rock-millenium.jpg

Could be something like this instead, I guess.

ship-pro-1.jpg

Considering that the history of the tech prompts its own article.

ship-pro-2.jpg

Side view of the Kolovri Rock.

odysseus-petrified-ship.jpg

Here are some 19th century texts pertaining to the petrified ship of Odysseus. I don't think the Kolovri Rock looks like a galley ship though.

Sounds like they might have called this petrified ship "the Sail of Odysseus" back in the day.

Thought of the Millennium Falcon for some reason.

Could be something like this instead, I guess.

Considering that the history of the tech prompts its own article.

Side view of the Kolovri Rock.

Here are some 19th century texts pertaining to the petrified ship of Odysseus. I don't think the Kolovri Rock looks like a galley ship though.

Sounds like they might have called this petrified ship "the Sail of Odysseus" back in the day.
The millenium falcon is such a good fit! Good point on sail, makes me want to look up etymology on sail, see if there are additional associations.

This part is truly fascinating:
  • Tell me also your country, nation, and city, that our ships may shape their purpose accordingly and take you there.
  • For the Phaeacians have no pilots.
  • Their vessels have no rudders as those of other nations have, but the ships themselves understand what it is that we are thinking about and want.
  • They know all the cities and countries in the whole world, and can traverse the sea just as well even when it is covered with mist and cloud, so that there is no danger of being wrecked or coming to any harm.
Sounds like a GPS and radar equipped pilotless vessel. Homer (born 8th century BC) whenever he lived, was never supposed to come up with stuff like this, one would think.

As far as sources go...
Venetus A is the most famous manuscript of the Homeric Iliad; it is regarded by some as the best text of the epic. As well as the text of the Iliad, Venetus A preserves several layers of annotations, glosses, and commentaries known as the "A scholia". None of the works on which the scholia in Venetus A are based survive. The "A scholia", derived largely from the work of Aristarchus.
  • Venetus A was created in the tenth century AD.
  • All text on the manuscript dates to the same period, including the Iliad text, critical marks, and two sets of scholia in different writing styles.
  • The twelfth century Byzantine scholar and archbishop Eustathius, even if he never saw the manuscript itself, certainly knew texts which were closely related to it.
  • At some point Venetus A was transported to Italy, but how and when this happened is uncertain. At one point it was thought that Giovanni Aurispa brought it there. In 1424, in a letter to Traversari in Venice, he mentioned four volumes which he had brought back from Greece.
    • Aristarchum super Iliade in duobus voluminibus, opus quoddam spatiosum et pretiosissimum; aliud commentum super Iliade, cuius eundem auctorem esse puto et illius quod ex me Nicolaus noster habuit super Ulixiade.
    • Aristarchus on the Iliad in two volumes, a large and very precious work; another commentary on the Iliad; I think Aristarchus was the author of that, as well as of the one on the Odyssey that our friend Niccolò Niccoli got from me.
  • Aurispa already owned the "two volumes" in 1421; this suggests that he may have brought them back from a trip to Greece in 1413. For a long time it was thought that these two volumes were Venetus A and Venetus B. More recently, however, it has been pointed out that the Venetus A and B manuscripts list multiple authors as their sources, not just Aristarchus, and Aurispa would be unlikely to have ignored this distinction.
  • Venetus A came into the possession of Cardinal Bessarion, the Greek immigrant and scholar, and the man most directly responsible for the Western rediscovery of Greek literature in the Renaissance.
  • Venetus A - Wikipedia
Folio 24 of Venetus A
venetus-a.jpg

Source

Looks like everything (as is with most if not all "ancient" texts) comes down to the 15th century again. This Cardinal Bessarion is a suspect in my book...
  • Not that we know what Homer might have looked like, right?
Basilius_Bessarion_of_Trapezunt.jpg

This part is truly fascinating:
  • Tell me also your country, nation, and city, that our ships may shape their purpose accordingly and take you there.
  • For the Phaeacians have no pilots.
  • Their vessels have no rudders as those of other nations have, but the ships themselves understand what it is that we are thinking about and want.
  • They know all the cities and countries in the whole world, and can traverse the sea just as well even when it is covered with mist and cloud, so that there is no danger of being wrecked or coming to any harm.
Sounds like a GPS and radar equipped pilotless vessel. Homer (born 8th century BC) whenever he lived, was never supposed to come up with stuff like this, one would think.

As far as sources go...
Venetus A is the most famous manuscript of the Homeric Iliad; it is regarded by some as the best text of the epic. As well as the text of the Iliad, Venetus A preserves several layers of annotations, glosses, and commentaries known as the "A scholia". None of the works on which the scholia in Venetus A are based survive. The "A scholia", derived largely from the work of Aristarchus.
  • Venetus A was created in the tenth century AD.
  • All text on the manuscript dates to the same period, including the Iliad text, critical marks, and two sets of scholia in different writing styles.
  • The twelfth century Byzantine scholar and archbishop Eustathius, even if he never saw the manuscript itself, certainly knew texts which were closely related to it.
  • At some point Venetus A was transported to Italy, but how and when this happened is uncertain. At one point it was thought that Giovanni Aurispa brought it there. In 1424, in a letter to Traversari in Venice, he mentioned four volumes which he had brought back from Greece.
    • Aristarchum super Iliade in duobus voluminibus, opus quoddam spatiosum et pretiosissimum; aliud commentum super Iliade, cuius eundem auctorem esse puto et illius quod ex me Nicolaus noster habuit super Ulixiade.
    • Aristarchus on the Iliad in two volumes, a large and very precious work; another commentary on the Iliad; I think Aristarchus was the author of that, as well as of the one on the Odyssey that our friend Niccolò Niccoli got from me.
  • Aurispa already owned the "two volumes" in 1421; this suggests that he may have brought them back from a trip to Greece in 1413. For a long time it was thought that these two volumes were Venetus A and Venetus B. More recently, however, it has been pointed out that the Venetus A and B manuscripts list multiple authors as their sources, not just Aristarchus, and Aurispa would be unlikely to have ignored this distinction.
  • Venetus A came into the possession of Cardinal Bessarion, the Greek immigrant and scholar, and the man most directly responsible for the Western rediscovery of Greek literature in the Renaissance.
  • Venetus A - Wikipedia
Folio 24 of Venetus A
View attachment 13369
Source

Looks like everything (as is with most if not all "ancient" texts) comes down to the 15th century again. This Cardinal Bessarion is a suspect in my book...
  • Not that we know what Homer might have looked like, right?
I agree it does sound like a modern day gps! And some kind of motor or power source. The source does sound suspicious, still sounds like the Phaecians and successive decedents were super proud of their navy/ships! What i wouldn't give to see what was under this black square!

5252056E-B40C-4EE8-91E8-7903E12DBBEE.jpeg
Looks like this map is also covering something on the right side of the fort. The spots are showing through and the symbol looks like something by a different (worse) artist, added after. What's under there?

23824027-FEAF-4802-8118-01BD3A37DFC0.jpeg

8ED0B7B7-595F-4233-954E-110406CD8348.jpeg

2FFC89F9-9C38-45F4-8594-43F74F9D757D.jpeg

According to the map of Corfu from year 1716, there also 2 small "navigation" satellite-stars that are not presented neither on the initial painting "View of Corfu and its fortifications, with the Venetian fleet, c. 1700" nor on the maps above:

map 1716.jpg

Number 1 has pretty much nothing left nowadays:

1689252004989.jpg

and at number 2 is a prison:

1689252077424.jpg

Just interesting...

According to the map of Corfu from year 1716, there also 2 small "navigation" satellite-stars that are not presented neither on the initial painting "View of Corfu and its fortifications, with the Venetian fleet, c. 1700" nor on the maps above:

Number 1 has pretty much nothing left nowadays:

and at number 2 is a prison:

Just interesting...
Your map is def interesting! The lines don't line up, and the island is currently a completely different shape!

3478B6B1-5221-49C9-AEBF-AB2FDB8D3A7D.jpeg

8725ECEA-E15D-48F4-9B22-B1278C0287DF.jpeg

It appears that Corfu could be a speculative location for the Homer’s island of Scheria.

Here is what the narrative says:
  • Many ancient and modern interpreters favor identification of Scheria with the island of Corfu, which is within 110 km (68 miles) of Ithaca.
  • Thucydides, in his Peloponnesian War, identifies Scheria as Corfu or, with its ancient name, Corcyra. In I.25.4, he records the Corinthians' resentment of the Corcyraeans, who "could not repress a pride in the high naval position of an island whose nautical renown dated from the days of its old inhabitants, the Phaeacians."
  • Locals on Corfu had long claimed this, based on the rock off the west coast of the island, which is supposedly the ship that carried Odysseus back to Ithaca, but was turned to stone by Poseidon, to punish the Phaeacians for helping his enemy.
  • The Phaeacians did not participate in the Trojan War.
  • The Phaeacians in the Odyssey did not know Odysseus (although they knew of him, as evidenced by the tales of Demodocus), so they called him a "stranger".
  • Odysseus however was the king of the majority of the Ionian Islands, not only of Ithaca, but also "of Cephallenia, Neritum, Crocylea, Aegilips, Same and Zacynthus" so if Scheria was Corfu, it would be surprising that the citizens of one of the Ionian Islands did not know Odysseus.
  • Furthermore, when Odysseus reveals his identity, he says to the nobles: "[…] if I outlive this time of sorrow, I may be counted as your friend, though I live so far away from all of you" indicating that Scheria was far away from Ithaca.
  • Aside from the seafaring prowess, the palace walls that shone like the Sun are read to be covered not by bronze but orichalcum.
  • The latter similarities make Scheria also suggestive of Plato's account of Atlantis.
  • From the ancient times, some scholars having examined the work and the geography of Homer have suggested that Scheria was located in the Atlantic Ocean. Among them were Strabo and Plutarch.
Additionally, it took Odysseus 10 years to travel 565 nautical miles back to Ithaca.

Chances are, Scheria and Corfu are not one and the same. If it’s not Corfu, what could it be?

Homer actually never calls Scheria an island, instead he repeatedly calls it simply a land.

According to author Felice Vinci in his 'The Baltic Origins of Homer's Epic Tales', the entire Iliad and Odyssey are set in the Atlantic and Baltic Seas, not to mention the location of the enchantress Circe on the island of Eea in the Arctic Sea.

There have been other authors proposing an Atlantic setting like Wilkens' 'Where Troy once stood'.

Here a map of Ulysses' voyage according to Vinci.

1-aa-toija-2007-english-97-728.jpg
1-aa-toija-2007-english-14-728.jpg

About the identification of Scheria Vinci says: "Starting from here, the route eastwards, which Ulysses follows (Book V of the Odyssey) in his voyage from Ogygia to Scheria allows us to locate the latter, i.e. the land of the Phaeacians, on the southern coast of Norway, in an area perfectly fitting the account of his arrival, where archaeological traces of the Bronze Age are plentiful. Moreover, while on the one hand “sker” in Old Norse means a «sea rock», on the other in the narration of Ulysses’s landing Homer introduces the reversal of the river current (Od., V, 451-453), which is unknown in the Mediterranean world but is typical of the Atlantic estuaries during high tide."

where was Troy supposed to be, according to this Scandinavian hypothesis.
This specific author locates Troy in southern Finland, as you can see on the "map" I posted previously. I know that he made a new "corrected" version of his own book recently, so something has changed but I'm not sure what exactly... certainly not Troy's location.
If we are looking for the traces of the advanced Phaeacian fleet, figuring out all possible locations of Scheria would not hurt.
All in all I'm not sure that Vinci is right about the specific location of Troy but he did a great job in showing how a mediterranean setting is not possible if we take into account Homer himself, and not some modern enthusiasts who want to place those tales in the mediterranean for the sake of their own identity.

Vinci is not a recentist but he nonetheless makes wild comparisons: "Argeioi, Danaioi, and Achaioi, i.e. the three main names Homer gives the peoples comprising the protagonists of his poems, possibly came down to modern times as Varangians, Danes, and Vikings (never found in the Mediterranean area, even in ancient times) respectively."

Not to mention the weather: "Everywhere in the two poems the weather, with its fog, wind, rain, cold temperatures and snow (which falls on the plains and even out to sea), has little in common with the Mediterranean climate; moreover, sun and warm temperatures are hardly ever mentioned."

Achaeans are explicitly described in the Iliad as tall and blond, so there's an ongoing "mediterranean-washing" trying to deny what is written by claiming that modern Greeks are mostly East-Mediterranean (with a heavy levantine influx) and therefore Achaeans had to look like modern Greeks. The only supporting evidence to this is the language in which those poems are written, since both the geography and the phenotype corresponds to a northern origin.

So Vinci sets all of this in the Atlantic and Baltic Seas but, as you previously mentioned, some of the most important Roman authors, Strabo and Plutarch, both Greeks, believed the true location to be somewhere in the Atlantic!

The list of things mentioned by Vinci goes on and he goes down into details about the equivalence of multiple habits of the Achaeans and the Vikings. "Only" language and chronology divide them...

@Silveryou, apologies, I was on the phone when looking for Troy on the first map, and did not spot it at first. Here is a bigger map.

troy-baltic-sea.jpg

Found this map on Reddit. There was also the below map on there with the route, Odysseus allegedly took.
  • The discussion on there is quite entertaining..
odysseus_baltic.jpg

We are up for a task here. I've read the synopsis of Felice Vinci's hypothesis. It's very interesting, and his arguments and explanations are pretty logical. Of course, to gain a full understanding, one, including myself would need to read the actual book.

felice-vinci.jpg

The gentleman sure spent some time researching the subject, and I'm all for independent researchers questioning the narrative.
  • Felice Vinci is a nuclear engineer with an extensive background in Latin and Greek studies, who has been researching his theory on the northern origin of Greek mythology since 1992.
Saint Petersburg has quite some statues and architecture to support the idea of the Baltic sea being the arena of the events.

That said, it appears that figuring out what war and location the Trojan war actually pertained to is virtually impossible, bar some concrete evidence. I am not sure we have that, or will ever have that. Applying Vinci's logic, given geographical compliance of lands, islands and seas, things might have happened just about anywhere.

In support of the Vinci's hypothesis I can bring up Aeneas. In Greco-Roman mythology, Aeneas was a Trojan hero, the son of the Dardanian prince Anchises and the Greek goddess Aphrodite. His father was a first cousin of King Priam of Troy.
  • Snorri Sturluson identifies him with the Norse god Vidarr of the Æsir.
    • In Norse mythology, Víðarr is a god among the Æsir associated with vengeance.
    • Víðarr is described as the son of Odin and is foretold to avenge his father's death by killing the wolf Fenrir at Ragnarök, a conflict he is described as surviving.
Vidarr
300px-Vidar_by_Collingwood.jpg

Source

vidarr.jpg

Source

Note: Aeneas I will talk about at the end of this post.

@Silveryou also mentioned Jacob Wilkens's book "Where Troy once stood." Wilkens that argues that the city of Troy was located in England and that the Trojan War was fought between groups of Celts. The participants came from all over the Atlantic, with Ithaca being Cadiz, and Telepylos being Havana, Cuba.
troy-uk.jpg

Wilkens argues that Troy was located in England on the Gog Magog Hills in Cambridgeshire, and that the city of Ely refers to Ilium, another name for Troy. He believes that Celts living there were attacked around 1200 BC by fellow Celts from the European continent to battle over access to the tin mines in Cornwall as tin was a very important component for the production of bronze. In fact, Homer names the attackers of Troy as Achaeans, Argives and Danaans, not Greeks.
  • To support his hypothesis Wilkens uses archaeological evidence, for instance the Isleham Hoard in the battlefield, and etymological evidence, particularly place-names, for instance the location of Ismaros in Brittany at Ys or the location of Homer's Sidon at Medina Sidonia in Spain. He also argues that Homer described locations around the Atlantic, with distinctive topographical features. He also finds evidence that "snowy" Mount Olympus, home of the gods, was Mont Blanc, the highest peak in the Alps.
  • He also identifies similarities in the English names of 14 rivers in Cambridgeshire to those named in the Iliad, including the Cam (Scamander) and Thames (Temese) and added a "reconstruction" of the Trojan battlefield in Cambridgeshire to his 2005 revised edition.
  • Cádiz would match the description of Ithaca; "There is in the land of Ithaca a certain harbour of Phorcys, the old man of the sea, and at its mouth two projecting headlands sheer to seaward, but sloping down on the side toward the harbour..."
  • Wilkens believes that Havana's topography greatly resembles the description of Telepylos: "The harbour, about which on both sides a sheer cliff runs continuously, and projecting headlands opposite to one another stretch out at the mouth, and the entrance is narrow, ..., and the ships were moored within the hollow harbour, for therein no wave ever swelled, great or small, but all about was a bright calm..."
Wilkens mentions several sources for his ideas.

As it stands, we appear to have no idea where Troy was.
We also do not know when the Trojan war really happened. I do not put too much weight into climate (soldiers wearing furs) and genetics (blond hair) related reasons for placing Troy up north. It sure could be up north, but not for these reasons for me. IMHO, we have no idea what the climate was at the time in various geographical regions of the world. It snows in Izmir, Turkey these days. And Izmir is ways south of the conventional Troy location.

troy-izmir.jpg

Map

And it snows in Turkey in general. I do not know how often, but the Trojan war, allegedly, lasted for 10 years.
As far as blond soldiers go... here we talk about genetics. With no other available evidence of what people might have looked like back then (I can't come up with anything else), we could direct our attention to the alleged "ancient" Greek statues. Specifically to the nose bridge area.

greek-nose.jpg

Do people with noses like these still populate Greece today? And if they do not, what's our way to know what the normal color hair could be attributed to "ancient" Greeks?

Now back to Aeneas, though this should be an article of its own, for I know that I'm too lazy to go 100% on the issue in a regular post.
Below is a fresco from Pompeii. I have no idea how they identified the dude as Aeneas, but the fresco is titled:
  • Iapyx removing an arrowhead from the leg of Aeneas, with Aeneas's son, Ascanius, crying beside him.
    • Ascanius is also known as Iulus, Julus, or Ascanius Julius.
    • He is also an ancestor of Romulus, Remus and the Gens Julia.
    • Together with his father, he is a major character in Virgil's Aeneid, and he is depicted as one of the founders of the Roman race.
Iapyx_removing_arrowhead_from_Aeneas.jpg

Source

But was the arrow ever removed from the Aeneas leg?
  • The surgeon cannot extract an arrow from the thigh of Aeneas; Venus brings a medicinal herb to accomplish what the surgeon cannot.
aeneas-arrow.jpg

Source

Once again on Aeneas...
The below excerpt is from the above linked wiki article.
  • According to the mythology used by Virgil in the Aeneid, Romulus and Remus were both descendants of Aeneas through their mother Rhea Silvia, making Aeneas the progenitor of the Roman people.
  • Some early sources call him their father or grandfather, but once the dates of the fall of Troy (1184 BCE) and the founding of Rome (753 BCE) became accepted, authors added generations between them.
  • The Julian family of Rome, most notably Julius Cæsar and Augustus, traced their lineage to Ascanius and Aeneas.
It's also interesting that Aeneas has certain mythological connections to England.
  • The English once widely claimed as history, an original peopling of their isle – prior to the event, a land only of fantastical giants – by descendants of Aeneas.
  • The island known later as Britain, was also previously known as Alba, similarity of name supporting connection to the city of Alba in Italy, said to have been built by Alcanius, son of Aeneas, and third ruler of the Latins after Latinus, being either his grandson or step-grandson.
  • Aeneas - Wikipedia
And things can get more complicated:
  • Snorri Sturlason, in the Prologue of the Prose Edda, tells of the world as parted in three continents: Africa, Asia and the third part called Europe or Enea.
Aeneid
The Aeneid is a Latin epic poem that tells the legendary story of Aeneas, a Trojan who fled the fall of Troy and travelled to Italy, where he became the ancestor of the Romans. Written by the Roman poet Virgil between 29 and 19 BC, the Aeneid comprises 9,896 lines in dactylic hexameter.
  • The first six of the poem's twelve books tell the story of Aeneas' wanderings from Troy to Italy, and the poem's second half tells of the Trojans' ultimately victorious war upon the Latins, under whose name Aeneas and his Trojan followers are destined to be subsumed.
    • Even the wiki article is interesting. Entertaining reading this could be, for those interested.
  • KD: Where was he really "wandering" from?
Aeneas escaped Troy carrying his father, Anchises, on his shoulders, and leading his son, Ascanius, by the hand.

aeneas-leaves-troy.jpg

Source

Aeneas Silvius
Directly related to the above Aeneas. Aeneas Silvius (said to have reigned 1110-1079 BC) is the son of Silvius, in some versions grandson of Ascanius and great-grandson, grandson or son of Aeneas. He is the third in the list of the mythical kings of Alba Longa in Latium, and the Silvii regarded him as the founder of their house.
Enée_Silvius_(Nuremberg).jpg

Pope Pius II
Pope Pius II , born Enea Silvio Bartolomeo Piccolomini (Latin: Aeneas Silvius Bartholomeus; 1405 – 1464), was an author and head of the Catholic Church and ruler of the Papal States from 19 August 1458 to his death in August 1464.
Enea Silvio Bartolomeo Piccolomini.

piccolomini.jpg

The She-Wolf of Siena: the Little ones?
1a-mosaic.jpg

Source

KD: Ok, I had to erase quite a few lines here, for otherwise this post would never end. I'll just summarize. We all know that all copies of the "ancient" texts, miraculously appeared in the 15th century and later. Comparing narratives pertaining to Aeneas and Aeneas Silvius Bartholomeus (throw Aeneas Silvius in there too, though he is just a filler) there is a remote possibility, that these two could be one and the same.

The Piccolomini Altarpiece is an architectural and sculptural altarpiece in the left-nave of Siena Cathedral, commissioned by cardinal Francesco Todeschini Piccolomini who expected it to become his tomb. However, he was elected Pope Pius III and buried in the Vatican. It was built between 1481 and 1485 by Andrea Bregno.
  • The cardinal Francesco Todeschini Piccolomini, who became Pope Pius III, intended to construct a monumental altar to dedicate artworks to his uncle Pope Pius II, to celebrate the political and cultural power of his family, the Piccolomini, in Siena, and to establish a site for his own tomb. (In reality, Todeschini was buried in the Vatican after his election as Pope.)
Andrea_bregno,_altare_piccolomini,_1503,_02.jpg

Roman Pope running a thousand year old SPQR between 1405 and 1464 is bizarre, unless you're buying into "antiquity was popular" during the Renaissance.

Aeneas Silvius Bartholomeus aka Pope Pius II was quite a dude:
  • In 1435, he was sent by Cardinal Albergati, Eugenius IV's legate at the council, on a secret mission to Scotland, the object of which is variously related even by himself.
    • In his Commentaries, he briefly mentions that he was sent to Scotland "to help a prelate come back into the King's favour" and later mentions that once in the presence of the King James I he was granted everything he had come to Scotland for.
    • KD: How secret and important is that, and why was he the one with weight and authority to handle that?
  • The journey to Scotland proved so tempestuous that Piccolomini swore that he would walk barefoot to the nearest shrine of Our Lady from their landing port.
    • KD: What was did he see there or endured on his journey for it to be so "tempestuous?"
    • This proved to be Dunbar; the nearest shrine was 10 miles (16 km) distant at Whitekirk.
    • The journey through the ice and snow left Aeneas afflicted with pain in his legs for the rest of his life.
      • KD: I thought about the arrowin Aeneas's thigh here.
    • Only when he arrived at Newcastle did he feel that he had returned to "a civilised part of the world and the inhabitable face of the Earth", Scotland and the far north of England being "wild, bare and never visited by the sun in winter".
Technically, future Pope Pius II was in England during the Lancastrian War. It was the third and final phase of the Hundred Years' War between England and France. As far as I understand, events were happening in France for the most part.
There was a Battle of Piperdean fought between the Kingdom of Scotland and the Kingdom of England. Historians say that it was not a significant engagement.
Old Cambus.jpg

KD: I think I'm tired of typing. Wrote this post to suggest that may be possible locations of Troy could reveal themselves via tracing the participants of the alleged Trojan war. Trojan Aeneas and Aeneas Silvius Bartholomeus... are they one and the same? The narrative suggests I'm crazy to even consider that. At the same time there are quite a few similarities between the two.
  • As you can see, I really want to know where those GPS'd, radared and pilotless ships were located at. :)

The discussion on there is quite entertaining..
Yes the usual five years old fresh on their indoctrination from school. If they survive the next 6 years they will suddenly repent and become boring depressed adults.

the idea of the Baltic sea being the arena of the events.
I just add a link to this blog which tries to go deeper into Vinci's point of view adding more things:
new_etymology

It snows in Izmir, Turkey these days. And Izmir is ways south of the conventional Troy location.
During the summer? But yes, if climate, geography and peoples in the mediterranean were completely different then it could be an actual mediterranean war.

And if they do not, what's our way to know what the normal color hair could be attributed to "ancient" Greeks?
Well, aside the problem of datation, there's in fact many representations showing fair-haired people in the mediterranean, certainly more than what somebody likes. I'm telling you this because there's an underline note regarding the adversity towards Vinci's proposal, which is purely racial or ethnic hatred. It is annoying for certain people to know that the Homeric poems are populated by blonds, all the more for me to insist on this point. In fact those same people consider the Homeric poems as a valid source when it's in their favour but promptly discard it and label it as fantasy when it goes against their peculiar identity interests. As you can see all the world is the same, not just the US!

And so I'm going to say that proof of the ethnicity of the Achaeans is given in the text itself and who knows what's the true relation between those AchaeanS and what we now call Greeks, a Latin word to designate the inhabitants of Greece in the mediterranenan.

I will also add that there's a lot of medieval paintings showing fair-haired people living, for example, in Italy, my country, with little to no trace of the typical mediterranean phenotype. If we judge history based on the reality of our times we should also say that France was always populated by a more or less 30% of mediterranean/levantine/african people... which is in fact something I see going on in the so-called alt-history circles, with the exception that it seems to be culturally accepted even in the higher spheres, so to say.

Sorry for bringing this up, but I know it's related even if sort of unrelated... sorry for the apparent contradiction.

P.S.: the link I posted leads to various cloud.mail.ru links which have been apparently blocked in certain countries (I guess a VPN may be useful to circumvent the problem), but I've now discovered that one of those links is in fact the last edition of Vinci's book from 2022... for those interested.

P.P.S.: with my last comment I would also like to address an issue, which is that whatever event, monument, book or else happens or is done on a certain territory, it will stick to the territory and not the people who did it. So whoever controls that territory will claim those events, monuments, books atc for themselves or try to do it. I would say this is a general rule I'm creating right now :))

Last edited:
Why was it important to keep old Greek legends alive in the minds of islanders? Would they who translated KJV float about their work? Phaecians seem like the current rulers. We are domesticated sasquatches. Make atmospheric oxygen great again. Stop genociding giants on Terra firma

Similar articles

Back