Friesland: The Island That Time Forgot

dreamtime

Maps being discussed in the following video starting at minute 18:

One topic is the missing island of Friesland, which has already been discussed at a history related forum:

Taken together, these various reports of Frisland and Buss Island tell a coherent story. In 1380 (correctly 1390) Frisland was large enough to support towns, agriculture, and a ruler named Zichmni who was powerful enough to conquer neighbouring islands. By 1578 it had shrunk to a much smaller island, which nevertheless was still fruitful and had woodlands. In 1589 (just eleven years later) it was surrounded by a vast icefield, and by 1671 it was barren and low-lying. It was never seen again. Many explorers came to the obvious conclusion: namely, that it had gradually subsided into the sea. Unless, perchance, a tiny speck of it still survives as Rockall. Rockall was annexed by the United Kingdom in 1972; it is the ultimate ‘remote Scottish island’, lying about as far west of Scotland as Norway is east. Being only a few yards in diameter it is completely uninhabitable.

Zichmni is the name of an explorer-prince who appears in a 1558 book by Caterino Zeno of Venice, allegedly based on letters and a map (called the Zeno map) dating to the year 1400 by the author's ancestors, brothers Nicolò and Antonio Zeno. Zichmni is described as a great lord of some islands off the southern coast of Frislanda, a possibly fictitious island claimed to be larger than Ireland and located south of Iceland.
According to the book, the letters provided a first-hand account of a voyage of exploration undertaken in 1398 by Prince Zichmni, accompanied by the Zeno brothers. The book claims that the voyagers crossed the North Atlantic to Greenland. A few recent authors speculate that they may have reached the coast of North America. There is disagreement among historians as to whether to accept the Zeno letters as valid.
Some proponents of the authenticity of the tale maintain that Zichmni was a Scottish nobleman named Henry Sinclair. However, other scholars have pointed to flaws in this identification and consider it extremely unlikely.
The first person to identify Zichmni with Henry Sinclair was Johann Reinhold Forster in 1784.

Haven't looked into it much, but I think this island deservers it's own thread. It disappears from the maps only at the end of the 17th century it seems, and stayed there longer than other supposedely mythical places like Hyperborea.

I will look into whether there are any historical sources mentioning some of the city names and update this post.

"Consensus" is that it's a fake phantom island: How to Put a Fake Island on the Map

Link collection of deeper discussion:​

Other links:​

220px-Frisland_Mercator.jpg
frisland.png

frisland2.png

Frisland appears to have been born out of confusion between an imaginary island and the actual southern part of Greenland. Frisland originally may also have been an cartographic approximation of Iceland, but in 1558 the influential Zeno map charted the landmass as an entirely separate island south (or occasionally south-west) of Iceland. After this incorrect charting, the phantom island appeared that way on maps for the next 100 years. Its existence was given currency in manuscript maps of the 1560s by the Maggiolo family of Genoa, and the island was accepted and reproduced by cartographers Gerardus Mercator and Jodocus Hondius. Some early maps by Willem Blaeu, such as his 1617 map of Europe, omit it, but it reappeared on his 1630 world map as one of many islands shown off the eastern coast of Labrador, which was then believed to extend to within a few hundred miles of Scotland. It also appeared on a 1652 world map by Visscher, largely copied from that of Blaeu. The 1693 Vincenzo Coronelli map places it close to Greenland. Frederick J. Pohl identified Frisland with an island he referred to as "Fer Island", modern English Fair Isle, an island lying between mainland Shetland and the Orkney islands in his book arguing the case that Henry I Sinclair, Earl of Orkney visited North America. Even in the mid-18th century, explorers' maps clearly depicted Frisland as separated from Greenland by a wide strait.

The myth of Frisland was gradually dispensed with as explorers, chiefly from England and France, charted and mapped the waters of the North Atlantic.

Last edited:

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
It was an interesting podcast. A little bit of Tartary and other things. This Friesland island is definitely interesting. I think it exists within the general hypothesis of lands we are either not allowed to see, or lands which perished in the 17th century catastrophe (1666 Troya). From this perspective we could include Hyperborea in there, as well as multiple other places on the older maps.

Some other Friesland maps:
Wondering how hard it would be to remove an existing island (or whatever) from the maps, while simultaneously keeping everyone else in the dark. Probably not that hard. Airspace is pretty regulated. I'm not so sure about waterways though. Do we have any marine traffic through the area where Friesland island was supposed to be?

We have strange maps to consider. For example the below map is titled (displays general changes):
  • Frisia Borealis… Anno 1651
  • Frisia Borealis… Anno 1240
Frisia Borealis.jpg

Source
1240 to 1651 is a long time, but something did happen, and accounting for the event is pretty hard. We have geographical changes (which are fairly obvious) throughout the world. Technological changes won't be seen that easy.

KD: we need Friesland related documents.

BStankman

Carta Da Navegar De Nicolo et Antonio Zeni Furono In Tramontana Lano MCCCLXXX

1544962964974.png

Most historians regard the map and accompanying narrative as a hoax, perpetrated by the younger Zeno to make a retroactive claim for Venice as having discovered the New World before Christopher Columbus. The evidence against the authenticity of the map is based largely on the appearance of many non-existent islands in the North Atlantic and off the coast of Iceland. One of these non-existent islands was Frisland, where the Zeno brothers allegedly spent some time.

Legendary islands of the Atlantic; a study in medieval geography : Babcock, William Henry, 1849-1922 : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

FRISLAND

It was, and is, so common to use "land" as a final syllable for island names (witness Iceland, Shetland, and the rest) that "Ferisland" would easily be derived from the form of the name last given and would be as readily contracted into "Frisland." We find the latter (Frislanda), indeed, on the map of Cantino (i5O2) 19 and in the life of Columbus ascribed to his son Ferdinand. 20 There seems no doubt of its very early use for a northern island or islands; apparently primarily for the Faroe group, often blended as one island.

Plenty of literature saying it was fake.
Dutch conveniently named part of Netherlands Friesland.

Not very clear on Cantino planisphere i502, but it is on other sea charts.

1544963037536.png

[Chart of the Mediterranean, Black Sea, and the coasts of western Europe and northwest Africa]

Nicolaus Germanus's 1467

Greeland.jpg

Ptolemy Cosmographia 1467

GroundhogLfe

[nuts warning]

I actually think I remember this, perhaps my past attempts at this very same life life or a specific dream sequence showing this life or parts of it in advance or even some psychic ****. I got no sources or evidence for this, just "knowing" from within.

This island was colonized and under Norman/Viking control in the early millenia. And just like the eradication of their colonies in Greenland the same thing happened to Frisland. The Inuits supposedly ate the Vikings in Greenland and no I'm not claiming it's the Inuits that got to them in Frisland, but if I recall it right it was someone else but perhaps of same alliance of enemy of my enemy and so forth. There's proof of the Viking settlements in the 13th century Greenland with documented christian marriages taking place there, no not seen them myself, just read about them. The information what had happened to this locale was suppressed to keep the local people of Europe content and to not cause great unrest. This place had a well built society and there were mentions of it in the early books as well so to keep questions off it just got faded away to keep off what happened out of people's memories.

So I think this is just part of a hidden war of the past.

I'm guessing the island still exists but how bizarre it would've been for the academia to come up with that after it's been kept off for so long. Like "here's what we got, an island that we knew from some older maps, but it was then just forgotten from newer maps and it never was shown by satellites either, weird huh."

Sometimes I think history is just mystory.

I got some purification **** to do to starve some and raise up the heat, just in time for christmas if this recent fortune doesn't change. *Pumping the fist in the air defiantly* :D

[/nuts warning]

Last edited:

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Most historians are limited to the textbooks and cliche opinions. Most of their numerous opinions and teachings are based on a single source, which at close examination is not even a credible one.

Our older maps were full of “imaginary” islands, continents, cities and towns. Our contemporary scientific consensus awarded those cartographers with creative imagination and common practice of making things up. Only European portion was somewhat accurate.

Similar with this Friesland island. A few 17th century cartographers just chose to “fake” an island, together with cities, towns, rivers and terrain features. Those same cartographers made up Hyperborea and other places. This is what we are supposed to believe. As a matter of fact this is what we are required to believe to be considered sane.

I have no doubt that the island used to exist. There could be a few reasons to consider its possible existence even today.

The most puzzling portion in the entire geographical shenanigans is the availability of these old maps. Why are we allowed to see them?

OP
OP
dreamtime

dreamtime

Here's a guy that suspects buried history as well: Friesland, own language and culture used to be an island under Iceland called Frisland?

Have you ever wondered how it is possible that there is such a small stubborn people living in the north of the Netherlands that speaks a language that is totally different from Dutch and is very close to English? In England there is a saying that reads'Frisian is to English like butter is to cheese'; translated 'Frisian is to English as butter to cheese. " The big discovery that I received in June 2014 is that south of Greenland (under Iceland) until the year 1680 an island was signed on maps, which was larger than Iceland and was inhabited by a seafaring people. The island would have been densely populated and estimated to have had 500 thousand to 1 million inhabitants. That is before that time a lot. The suspicion exists that the island is sunk at a certain moment as a result of, for example, a seaquake.

rockall-plateau.jpg

Location_Frisia.svg.png

We also have this remaining plateu, but the most interesting evidence imho is the Frisians living on the coast of the Netherlands and Northern Germany, where parts of the areas are still called Frisland to this day. Could the survivors of the catastrophe have sailed to the nearest coasts and settled there after the catastrophe in 1400-1500? While the location of modern Frisia is not the nearest to the island if Friesland, it is nevertheless a possible route. On the other hand they were already there before 1400 as shown on the coastal maps of Northern Europe.

More so, the fact that the Frisians make up a tiny minority surrounded py people that are completely different from them, suggests they are not native to the Netherlands and Northern Germany.

The author mentions Redbad, King of the Frisians - Wikipedia, King od the Frisians.

Frisia - Wikipedia
Frisians - Wikipedia

We also have a mysterious migration period:

During the Migration Period "new" Frisians (probably descended from a merging of Angles, Saxons, Jutes and Frisii) resettled in the north and the west of the Low Countries.[5](p792) The Frisians consisted of tribes with loose bonds, centered on war bands but without great power. In the second half of the 7th century the Frisian kingship reached its maximum geographic development.[6]
Frisian Kingdom - Wikipedia

More interesting is the fact that Frisland already exists on the Cosmographia – Scandinavia map drafted by Nicolaus Germanus in 1467 shown by @BStankman above.

The Frisland Finesse: A Tale of Two Islands

the-frisland-finesse.jpg

Which suggest that it was Iceland which was discovered later.

Bildschirmfoto 2018-12-16 um 18.12.53.png

Bildschirmfoto 2018-12-16 um 18.13.19.png

ptolemy-bathymetric-map-of-frisland.jpg

The conclusion of the author:

The Divine Right Diviners had a major problem because two events had occurred [sometime between Ptolemy and 1558] that weren’t meant to happen according to their belief system.
1) The island formerly know as Islandia [aka Frisland] had sunk beneath the waves.
2) The island latterly know as Islandia [aka Iceland] had emerged from the deep.
But being true believers they simply switched the names around [the Frisland Finesse] and hoped nobody realised that Mother Nature really controls the Earthly domain.
Evidently, to this day, the Mainstream Hoax Meisters prefer to perpetuate the Frisland Hoax narrative instead of admitting that Mother Nature is whimsically catastrophic.

Last edited:

Andromeda

[nuts warning]

I actually think I remember this, perhaps my past attempts at this very same life life or a specific dream sequence showing this life or parts of it in advance or even some psychic ****. I got no sources or evidence for this, just "knowing" from within.

This island was colonized and under Norman/Viking control in the early millenia. And just like the eradication of their colonies in Greenland the same thing happened to Frisland. The Inuits supposedly ate the Vikings in Greenland and no I'm not claiming it's the Inuits that got to them in Frisland, but if I recall it right it was someone else but perhaps of same alliance of enemy of my enemy and so forth. There's proof of the Viking settlements in the 13th century Greenland with documented christian marriages taking place there, no not seen them myself, just read about them. The information what had happened to this locale was suppressed to keep the local people of Europe content and to not cause great unrest. This place had a well built society and there were mentions of it in the early books as well so to keep questions off it just got faded away to keep off what happened out of people's memories.

So I think this is just part of a hidden war of the past.

I'm guessing the island still exists but how bizarre it would've been for the academia to come up with that after it's been kept off for so long. Like "here's what we got, an island that we knew from some older maps, but it was then just forgotten from newer maps and it never was shown by satellites either, weird huh."

Sometimes I think history is just mystory.

I got some purification **** to do to starve some and raise up the heat, just in time for christmas if this recent fortune doesn't change. *Pumping the fist in the air defiantly* :D

[/nuts warning]
This is not nut, at all!

I'm also being shown events in my dreams. I, for one, trust my dreams more than anything else.

Silvanus777

This is not nut, at all!

I'm also being shown events in my dreams. I, for one, trust my dreams more than anything else.
In your company I am also not ashamed to admit that ever since a transformative event in my life about 2 years ago, I seem to be getting smaller "revelations" or pointers into the right directions regarding my historical and other research - connections between things I have read, heard, seen all over my life seem to instantly and miraculously come together - and days or weeks after that I always come across confirming evidence from some material source - for example a new book I come across. Dreams and visions... not so much. For a former atheist materialist, that's quite an odd reality, but I accept it as it comes and for whatever it may be.

Hey, has any of you guys ever heard of the Oera Linda Book?
"The Oera Linda Book is a manuscript written in a form of Old Frisian, purporting to cover historical, mythological, and religious themes of remote antiquity, from 2194 BCE to 803 CE. Among academics in Germanic philology, the document is widely considered to be a hoax or forgery."
- Source: Wikipedia
I've watched some podcasts on the topic, but that's been over a year ago. Just queried for "Oera Linda Book" on youtube, and that's the first result I got. Maybe you guys wanna check it out for yourselves! :)

Magnetic

The time lines make sense: The earliest recorded landing on Rockall was in 1811, by a Royal Navy officer called Basil Hall from the HMS Endymion. So there isn't any conflicitng reports about Frisland and Rockall existing at the same time.
Yes I think that Frisland exists since these old maps show Rockall Island attached to an island which now is submerged. Could Frisland and other assorted islands that were in old maps be the fabled sea power Atlantis? They would be in a great position to take the Newfoundland fish harvest, and have routes of trade spanning the Atlantic.

Andromeda

Yes I think that Frisland exists since these old maps show Rockall Island attached to an island which now is submerged. Could Frisland and other assorted islands that were in old maps be the fabled sea power Atlantis? They would be in a great position to take the Newfoundland fish harvest, and have routes of trade spanning the Atlantic.

Don't we have any sailors here that could fare off in the vast ocean? Maybe Frisland still exists and the globe earth doesn't show it.

OP
OP
dreamtime

dreamtime

So I just discovered Frisland on a map not primarily related to geography. It's the "Christia Nographie" map that shows where what kinds of Christians live: What was "Truth" during the golden age of historical forgery?

The island of "Friseland/Freseland?" is said to be inhabited by Protestants. It's hard for me to believe everyone was just following along and making facts up. Looks like the population was known to everyone, and thus people knew they were not associated with the Pope. It's also worth to note that "Protestants" aren't the Protestants we are being told about, in the beginning they were just all kinds of people protesting against the Pope, and it looks like they were just given the name Protestants due to this resistance.

frisland.png

Last edited:

donnacamos88

I didn't even know Frisland was considered a made-up island. One of my favorite horses when I was a kid was the Friesien. I looked on a map from one of my Dad's old encyclopedia sets and found the island where the horse came from ( I was/is kind of a nerd that way). I guess if I'd of looked at a newer map, I'd of known it was made up and Frisland was really in the Netherlands. 😉

PangaeaRepub

Duplicating post from: The Phoenicians Once Ruled the World. They still do today!

What do you all think about some lost islands? I'm almost 100% positive the phoenicians took refuge on the British isles... it explains my trace DNA in certain places around the Mediterranean...

I made a video showing frisland to be ireland:

And I might have found an ancient map encryption method, aka those mirror reflection divider things:

In my latest videos I'm really starting to close in on what destroyed Atlantis, i've suggested that a mega tsunami went all the way up the Colorado river and around and down the Rio Grande... I believe there must be a link between the Atlantis refugees and the phoenicians using Atlantis maps... there's just no way it's not related.

Keeping this thread alive, it's one for the history books.