"If I were Lord of Tartary." A poem by Walter De La Mare, is there a Shriner connection?

CyborgNinja

As the regular reader of this site will already know, many of the articles published on StolenHistory.ORG focus on the curious pre-existence of a now momentarily forgotten country known as Tartary. For those whom are new here and/or may not know, some time in the recent past, perhaps as recently as the 1800's it was common knowledge among the peoples of the world that there existed an enormous country known as Tartary. This empire occupied more territory than any other empire before and since. Malicious forces acting with in the shadows have gone to great lengths to remove Tartary from recorded history. To see their villainous plot through theses bad actors have deployed their agents throughout history, they are still active even to this day.

Under ruthless orders to subvert the good people of this planet by any means necessary. Nothing is beneath these agents, espionage, assassination, murder, even world war. Effective as these agents are, they cannot completely scrub the details of Tartary. Cultural artifacts, echos of the past still permeate the every day. "They" may be able to lie about the small details but they can't completely remove the larger events in the timeline. Large European battles take place for example but we can never be sure who exactly was good and who was bad, this applies even to events within living memory. As a general rule the victors are often these agents of evil and the losers are very often fighting for a just cause. Once the modern day investigator becomes aware of this fact any historical event can be re-assessed and through this can be found a deeper understanding of how it truly was in reality.

Walter De La Mare

walter-de-la-mare-young.jpg
25 April 1873 – 22 June 1956
Its with this new found perspective that we will now take a look at a poem written by the great English poet and novelist Walter De La Mare. Although many may not have a first hand experience with De La Mare, he was however very influential with better known Novelists, among them H P Lovecraft. "On the shortage of de la Mare horror stories, Lovecraft wrote: "De la Mare can be exceedingly powerful when he chooses, and I only wish he'd choose oftener.""-Wikipedia. In this poignant prose De La Mare waxes lyrical about a imaginary land known as Tartary...

If I were Lord of Tartary

If I were Lord of Tartary,
Myself, and me alone,
My bed should be of ivory,
Of beaten gold my throne;
And in my court should peacocks flaunt,
And in my forests tigers haunt,
And in my pools great fishes slant
Their fins athwart the sun.

Trumpeters every day
To all my meals should summon me,
And in my courtyards bray;
And in the evening lamps should shine,
Yellow as honey, red as wine,
While harp, and flute, and mandoline
Made music sweet and gay.

I'd wear a robe of beads,
White, and gold, and green they'd be --
And small and thick as seeds;
And ere should wane the morning star,
I'd don my robe and scimitar.
And zebras seven should draw my car
Through Tartary's dark gleades.

Lord of the fruits of Tartary.
Her rivers silver-pale!
Lord of the hills of Tartary.
Glen, thicket, wood, and dale!
Her flashing stars, her scented breeze,
Her trembling lakes, like foamless seas,
Her bird-delighting citron-trees,
In every purple vale!
Walter de la Mare
So here we have De La Mare describing with great familiarity the kingdom of Tartary. Curious how his repetition of the line "If I were Lord of Tartary" is much in the same vein as one might declare " If I were king of the world!" Clearly Tartary is as place of tremendous wealth and status at least in the mind of De La Mare. I trust that the reader is immediately aware of the glaringly obvious, that Tartary was not just the wishful thinking of this one man but in fact an actual destination. De La Mare's work is not an anciently sourced text, he would be considered contemporary by many modern scholars and yet he seems to be drawing on occult knowledge long since forgotten by his peers. Where did he learn of Tartary? Perhaps stories past down through his family, he was a descendant from the Huguenots:

The term (Huguenot) has its origin in the early 16th century France. It was used frequently to describe members of the Reformed Church of France from the time of the Protestant Reformation. Huguenots were French Protestants who endorsed the Reformed tradition of Protestantism, contrary to the largely German Lutheran population of Alsace, Moselle, and Montbéliard. -Wikipedia.

What do critics of this work have to say about Tartary? This from www.scribd.com...

In this poem the poet imagines himself to be the master of that glorious wonderland called Tartary. In this way he tries to satisfy his unfulfilled desiresin a real life. The poem is a journey into the realm of imagination. The land ofTartary has been painted as a very far-off, charming and ideal place. It is abeautiful, rich and fertile land full of unseen and unheard of delights.Like a mighty king the poet wishes to have an ivory bed and golden throne. Hiscourt will be decorated with beautiful creatures like peacocks. His forests willbe full of tigers and his pools will abound with big fish. He would rule over menand animals alike. As lord of Tartary he would enjoy great pomp and show in hisevery day life. The musicians would play beautiful music in the courtyard of hispalace. The bugle call will announce that the royal meal is ready. In the eveninghis palace will be illuminated with lamps "yellow as honey" and "red as wine".The poet also longs to wear gorgeous dress, decorated with jewels of white, goldand green colours. Early in the morning he would dress up in royal robes and ridehis carriage drawn by seven zebras. The poet also wishes to enjoy abundantlygrowing fruits in the land of Tartary. The silver pale rivers, hills, valleys,woods, twinkling stars, clear lakes, foamless seas and scented breeze add charmand magic to his state. Such heavenly place will transport his soul and mind intothe domain of happiness.The poem is marked with its romantic and imaginative images. Although our rationalmind knows that such a place does not exist yet we allow ourselves to be alluredfor the time being
"The poem is marked with its romantic and imaginative images. Although our rational mind knows that such a place does not exist".

dr_evil_riiiight_gif.gif
"Ignore him kids, De La Mare be trippin yo."
My rational mind is working just fine thanks and I'd bet my bottom dollar such a place did exist. Further exercising my rational mind perhaps we can get a triangulation on the location of this kingdom, i'm getting a very middle eastern vibe from this poem:

"And ere should wane the morning star,
I'd don my robe and scimitar."
The Tartary of Walter De La Mare's mind sounds very exotic, what one might even say 'Arabian'. Scimitars and morning stars, what could this mean? Its well documented that Tartary was quite diverse in its emblems and symbols. It did span entire continents and represented multiple clans so it was not uncommon for local flags to range from the double headed buzzard to the more Islamic Crescent moons. I know turkey's flag has the crescent moon and morning star. The two lines although not expressly joined are a rhyming couplet so they do have some kind of interplay. After a quick google search I found that the flag for the Pakistani military uses this motif. Bit of a nothing burger though, not really what i'm looking for. There was however one other group that uses this as there crest. The Shriners of Freemasonry.

Cross-over-Crescent.jpg 324px-Flag_of_the_Pakistani_Army.svg.png shriners emblem.jpg
(Left)Originally Tartarian Cross over Crescent (Middle)Pakistani Military. (Right)Shriner emblem.
Just a quick history of the Shriners before I start spit balling here...

It is an appendant body to Freemasonry. Shriners International company describes itself as a fraternity based on fun, fellowship, and the Masonic principles of brotherly love, relief, and truth. Historically, Masons had to become members of the York or Scottish Rite Bodies before becoming a Noble of the Shrine. However, at the Imperial Council Session in July 2000, an amendment to Shrine law changed that requirement, allowing Master Masons to become Shriners directly. It is an appendant body to Freemasonry.

The Emblem
The Crescent was adopted as the Jewel of the Order. Though any materials can be used in forming the Crescent, the most valuable are the claws of a Royal Bengal Tiger, united at their base in a gold setting. In the center is the head of a sphinx, and on the back are a pyramid, an urn and a star. The Jewel bears the motto “Robur et Furor,” which means “Strength and Fury.” Today, the Shrine emblem includes a scimitar from which the crescent hangs, and a five-pointed star beneath the head of the sphinx.

So I realize that there is no direct link between the Shriner group of Freemasonry and the Tartary of Walter De La Mare. It is also obvious that Crescent moons, the morning star and scimitars are well known middle eastern Islamic icons so the Shriners may not necessarily have drawn inspiration specifically from Tartary, it is important to note here that these symbols are Islamic-Islam was once overtly Tartarian-These symbols therefore represent Tartary even if one is not consciously aware of the connection. Their origins still remain.​

What I do find intriguing is that Freemasonry seems to coincidentally or otherwise so appropriately adopt all the old icons of Tartary. The forgotten empire to which we as investigators attribute all of the exquisite masonry ( Freemasonry- a fraternity based upon secret building techniques one would assume. No?) Now moreover we find Islamic elements of Tartary cropping up in the Shriners. I don't know, maybe its just a coincidence. Or you know these are the dark agents who are actively working to suppress our stolen history.​

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Never heard about this poem. Thank you for another piece of evidence.

They clearly did not erase every single reminder of the Great Tartary, yet the job they did is unbelievable. We hsve a handful of people even willing to accept a possibility of its existence.

Even its symbology is a mystery calling for speculation. At the same time it is interesting how strange the revival of Tartary looks. To a certain degree it could be an injection done by the people who possess the knowledge. If it is, I would love to find out why.

OP
OP
CyborgNinja

CyborgNinja

Neither had I heard of this poem until recently When you see this kind of evidence just out in the open right under peoples noses and no one sees it for what it is. And to be able to identify what it is, is a buzz.

It funny reading the critiques with people speculating about this imaginary tartary. It's similar to cartography lectures I've watched on youtube where the scholar is showing old maps and ignoring the huge labels stating tartary. It's right in front of them but they are blind to it.

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
I find it a dead give away when our contemporary archaeologists get orgasms when they find a piece of pottery they date 700BC. Yet they ignore the entire Empire. They can not possibly be that dumb. Hence the guiding arm of the current true rulers of this world.

tartarian_prince.jpg tartarian_princess.jpg tartar.jpg tartarian_lady.jpg
A collection of the dresses of different nations: antient [sic] and modern. Particularly old English dresses; after the designs of Holbein, Vandyke, Hollar and others, with an account of the authorities from which the figures are taken

Ok, I'm new here and this is the first post I've read about Tartary. Ancient archery is one of my hobbies, so I'm fairly familiar with the Mongol Empire of the 13th century. Gengis Khan conquered and controlled an area four times larger than the Roman Republic. During this time the Mongolians 'absorbed' the Tartars' culture into their own and the whole of the empire came to be known as Tartary. If I'm not mistaken, the word Tartar was applied by Europeans - not what Mongols called themselves. Is the Mongolian Empire a 'lost civilization', or just missing from American history books?

Being a bit of a poet myself, I've come to recognize elements of 'illuminated' works (WB Yeates). They usually present with a key word or two that needs to be looked up before true understanding is had. This poem seems like it was crafted just for fun, written about a place that was at one time real but only observable from the outside (to westerners).

OP
OP
CyborgNinja

CyborgNinja

Tartars' culture into their own and the whole of the empire came to be known as Tartary. If I'm not mistaken, the word Tartar was applied by Europeans - not what Mongols called themselves. Is the Mongolian Empire a 'lost civilization', or just missing from American history books?
Thanks for commenting. Two points here, firstly when in history has an empire assimilated a smaller community and then become known to the outside by the name of that smaller community? When England colonized India did the world start referring to The British Empire as Indian Empire? No.

Secondly, all this isn't just missing from America history books. It's missing from all history books. I don't think anyone here is arrogant enough to come out and say "this" is exactly how it was but it's become clear to many that there is alot more to this story than first meets the eye.

It's important to note that ancient cultures did not have the same notions of race that we have today and that hierarchical systems were in place that meant what we consider as the mongol empire could just have been the asiatic caste of this tartary empire employed as cavalry troops because of specific talents and traits unique to these people. This doesn't nessesarily mean all of the Mongol empire were Asians. How many pictures do we have of khangis kahn? Just drawings and drawings can be faked.

Those are good points. I got my 'info' from Wikipedia, and a comment made by a Mongolian Traditional Archery presentation. The Mongolian said that the English called his people "tartars" claiming the word meant something evil. This was an oral presentation that smelled very much like nationalistic propaganda. There were also claims made specific to archery that turned out to be untrue. Hence my observation that the word tartar may have meant different things to different people. The way "Tartary" is used in the poem seems to me to be whimsical, but i could easily be wrong.

OP
OP
CyborgNinja

CyborgNinja

The way "Tartary" is used in the poem seems to me to be whimsical, but i could easily be wrong.
Yes and no. Perhaps at the time of writing, the poem wasn't anything overly significant. However fast forward to now one hundred years later where researchers like us are investigating an entirely forgotten Empire, the poem now takes on a much larger significance. At the very least the poem acts as proof that Tartary existed in earlier peoples minds in whatever capacity. I mean modern researchers consider this poem to be a yarn about an imaginary fantasy realm concocted by the author as a mind exercise for older people to recapture the whimsy of youth and their capacity for inspired thought. Sigh.

It seems his father was a principal of the Bank of England. I stand corrected. He was hugely connected, and he lived only 100 years ago. There might be more to this poem than meets the eye, but I don't think it would exist in public view if it was really significant. The nation of Tartary seems like it wasn't entirely forgotten after all

I try to imagine the art collections people like this must grow up around. They must learn an entirely different story of humanity than we do. One single painting or sculpture could tell us so much if placed in context. All the looting that's occurred post-war, post-crusade, post-invasion - all that treasure doesn't get destroyed by the conquerors. Do they melt it down and make believe its been mined anew? I doubt it. I think the richest whatever percent of the population must possesses artifacts (like this poem) that could answer all our questions about the past if placed in proper context with what we've already been told.

asatiger1966

It seems his father was a principal of the Bank of England. I stand corrected. He was hugely connected, and he lived only 100 years ago. There might be more to this poem than meets the eye, but I don't think it would exist in public view if it was really significant. The nation of Tartary seems like it wasn't entirely forgotten after all

I try to imagine the art collections people like this must grow up around. They must learn an entirely different story of humanity than we do. One single painting or sculpture could tell us so much if placed in context. All the looting that's occurred post-war, post-crusade, post-invasion - all that treasure doesn't get destroyed by the conquerors. Do they melt it down and make believe its been mined anew? I doubt it. I think the richest whatever percent of the population must possesses artifacts (like this poem) that could answer all our questions about the past if placed in proper context with what we've already been told.
I am not sure how to give definition to the word "elite". A "lost civilization" would defiantly have a plan for survival of a remnant. They would have their advanced knowledge but could not manufacture more. the survivors wound wait till a local labor force reemerged before continuing forward. In my mind there would emerge many non elite survivors competing against each other. Being human they would also start to learn and grow their numbers. This cycle would continue to the point of the "elites" leaving the planet by going underground,into a different dimension or to another planet. I am sure there are more alternatives, I do not know what I do not know.. After many cataclysms there would be numerous pieces left of advanced knowledge that was thought safe from destruction but was not, just covered over with debris in hidden places. knowing how old these peoples were is speculation 500,000-100,000,000 years? Many governments are searching for this misplaced knowledge. But are the ones searching the currant civilization or behind the scenes the remnants that need what was hidden in those supposed safe places to advance even further? It is possible that more than one group of survivors, separated by millions of years, are independently searching for not only their misplaced knowledge but others knowledge as well. Mixed with the many rumors and small glimpses into the past, there will be an unknowing truth.

OP
OP
CyborgNinja

CyborgNinja

I am not sure how to give definition to the word "elite". A "lost civilization" would defiantly have a plan for survival of a remnant. They would have their advanced knowledge but could not manufacture more. the survivors wound wait till a local labor force reemerged before continuing forward. In my mind there would emerge many non elite survivors competing against each other. Being human they would also start to learn and grow their numbers. This cycle would continue to the point of the "elites" leaving the planet by going underground,into a different dimension or to another planet. I am sure there are more alternatives, I do not know what I do not know.. After many cataclysms there would be numerous pieces left of advanced knowledge that was thought safe from destruction but was not, just covered over with debris in hidden places. knowing how old these peoples were is speculation 500,000-100,000,000 years? Many governments are searching for this misplaced knowledge. But are the ones searching the currant civilization or behind the scenes the remnants that need what was hidden in those supposed safe places to advance even further? It is possible that more than one group of survivors, separated by millions of years, are independently searching for not only their misplaced knowledge but others knowledge as well. Mixed with the many rumors and small glimpses into the past, there will be an unknowing truth.
If u can, use paragraphs please. It's hard to read walls of text.