Little people and their mortal enemy the swan. Multiple ancient sources mention race of hobbits.

CyborgNinja

In a previous post I made mention of an island or country, some geographical location that was once inhabited by little people or hobbits.Mention of both Giants and Hobbits in 300 year old Japanese maps.

2018-03-24 23.28.49.jpg
In this depiction there seems to be a couple, one male, one female. Running from some species of bird. It's curious to note that of the other 'peoples' depicted around the map, none have any additional activities or third parties included. Only this panel featuring the 'small people country' has this bird. Are the little people and birds inextricably linked?

After a few minutes research using Google we find some strong supporting evidence... Nuremberg_chronicles (pygmy fights bird (swan))

220px-Nuremberg_chronicles_-_Strange_People_-_Pygmy_(XIIr).jpg

The leads are few but when we do find a rare nugget of information the results are quite good...

Greek legends speak of a race of pygmies locked in an eternal death struggle against coastal bird colonies.

220px-Fight_Pygmy_crane_MAN.jpg

Read more at wikipedia: Pygmy (Greek mythology)

220px-Pygmy_Carrying_Crane_Sotades.jpg

When you find a single story of something so strange you could be forgiven for dismissing it as nonsense. BUT, when you find three unrelated story's from three different cultures all repeating the same themes. (Pygmies, danger of birds) you might want to file that away in the "maybe it's true" coloum instead. At least till further evidence comes to light.

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
The geography of these images is clearly different. I doubt it is a coincidence. At the same time I am not quite sure what this bird connection might mean. Why would a swan be their enemy?

Another thing which attracted my attention was the shield held by that pygmy:

220px-Nuremberg_chronicles_-_Strange_People_-_Pygmy_(XIIr).jpg

Because I know I have seen something like that before. There it is. Whatever it might mean. Not quite the same, but there is some similarity.

jedi_old_12_1.jpg

OP
OP
CyborgNinja

CyborgNinja

Sometimes it's a swan. Other times its a crane. I think these little people fell victim to all sorts of wild creatures. It may have just been a case of these larger winged birds having the size to carry these people off. A seagull wouldn't pose as much of a threat in this situation so swan sized birds were the constant menace.

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
If it displays everyday concern of the smaller size humanoids, it just makes sense. We can see how voracious our pets can be, when attacking smaller beings. Otherwise they are nice members of the family.

So basically what I mean, it would make sense to depict a scene which is common to a specific segment. From this stand point there is nothing strange that different authors from different locations relayed the same information.

BStankman

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Onijunbei Space Travel and Moon Landing 1