Proof People Believed in Flat Earth in 1900 A.D.?

Searching

This is a newspaper article from April 21, 1900 that ran in The Cook County Herald, a Minnesota newspaper.

The Cook County Herald, Minnesota, April 21, 1900

Proof People Believed in Flat Earth in 1900 A.D. - 1.jpg

Sir John Eldon Gorst, the accused:
John Eldon Gorst - Wikipedia

The article is about the shape of the earth, but it is the date of 1900 that is so very, very odd. Everybody knew by then the earth was a sphere. Right? Right??

Is it satire? The more I look into historical timelines, the more confused I am.

I don't care about the shape of the earth at this point. What does intrigue me is there seem to be 2 historical timelines running adjacent to one another: one in which we have a year 1900 where the majority of people are on board with globe earth, and another in which a university professor is threatened with prosecution for teaching globe earth when apparently all the tax payers know "the earth is as flat as a pancake".

Also, check out the article next to it:

Proof People Believed in Flat Earth in 1900 A.D. - 2.jpg

milhaus

Interesting. A little too late for April Fools. It makes sense, though, because you still had an older generation that wasn't forced into the (re)education system. Compulsory education began in the United States in 1852, starting with Massachusetts. The last state was Mississippi in 1918. I am unable to find when Minnesota enacted it but I'll try to keep looking. What I would really be interested in is finding the teachers curriculum for different years. Or even to get the ones from the '90s for my own school. I remember learning about "Arctica" one year and then it sort of disappeared and most people forgot about it. I've come to realize that most people do not have great memories, and people like us probably have better memories.

Someone mentioned on reddit the other day that they were taught our blood is blue without oxygen which I was taught as well. The latter is probably an example of something they were taught when they were younger, because it always related to how your blood would look in space, but it wasn't in the curriculum necessarily.

The education system is a great way to divide the generations. We are taught erroneous information as well as things our parents didn't know. And then the next generation is taught differently. Now they have common core math which I always figured was so parents couldn't help their children with their homework; making the children more trusting of the state over their "dumb" parents. So this article isn't really proof of anything more than that, in my opinion. Just that a large portion of the population believed what the Bible taught instead of what the schools was teaching.

OP
OP
Searching

Searching

Even though the article ran in a Minnesota newspaper, the events in the article took place in Portsmouth, England. I looked for information about this in Portsmouth newspapers, but didn't find any. I did, however, find the article in Daily Mail, London article from Octover 5, 1899:
London Daily Mail, October 5, 1899, p. 3

The same article ran in a New Zealand newspaper in January of 1901:
Papers Past | "THE EARTH IS FLAT." (North Otago Times, 1901-01-05)

The article can be found in other publications as well.

I would like to know what the outcome of this was. Was Gorst prosecuted? If so, what happened then?

Of course, Wiki makes no mention of this event in his bio, but it is interesting to note, "On the formation of the third Salisbury administration in 1895 he became Vice-President of the Committee on Education,[1][8] which he remained until August 1902, when the post was renamed President of the Board of Education."

milhaus

Even though the article ran in a Minnesota newspaper, the events in the article took place in Portsmouth, England. I looked for information about this in Portsmouth newspapers, but didn't find any. I did, however, find the article in Daily Mail, London article from Octover 5, 1899:
London Daily Mail, October 5, 1899, p. 3

The same article ran in a New Zealand newspaper in January of 1901:
Papers Past | "THE EARTH IS FLAT." (North Otago Times, 1901-01-05)

The article can be found in other publications as well.

I would like to know what the outcome of this was. Was Gorst prosecuted? If so, what happened then?

Of course, Wiki makes no mention of this event in his bio, but it is interesting to note, "On the formation of the third Salisbury administration in 1895 he became Vice-President of the Committee on Education,[1][8] which he remained until August 1902, when the post was renamed President of the Board of Education.[1]"

Shows how good my reading comprehension is. Haha. I really don't know what to think of it then.

How did you come across this? I am going to start looking through old newspapers now as well and see if I come across anything as intriguing. Seems like a fun hobby at the very least.

anotherlayer

Hmm, intriguing. I also see this dated December 7, 1899 from the The State of Dade News, Trenton, GA.

Such new fangled ideas as that of the earth being a sphere he may impose upon the frivolous persons who riot in the ungodly city of London, but not upon the taxpayers of Southampton. Ebenezer and his friends mean business, and have served formal notice upon the Portsmouth school board that the teaching that the earth is a sphere “cannot be allowed to continue under any circumstances, plea or explanation whatever,” and that it must be abandoned under pain of the "punishment for schism by the law provided."

OP
OP
Searching

Searching

How did you come across this? I am going to start looking through old newspapers now as well and see if I come across anything as intriguing. Seems like a fun hobby at the very least.
I think I came across this August of '17 during the solar eclipse. At the time, I was a staunch flat-earther, and I was trying to find more info on the eclipse. If I'm remembering correctly, I found a few instances in which people claimed to have seen the moon during an eclipse, which means the moon is not what is covering the sun, so what is? I studied Vedic astrology, found Rahu and Vetu. Rahu - Wikipedia

Anyway, it was a journey down a rabbit hole that just led to more questions, like always.

anotherlayer

Some interesting articles here:

Proof People Believed in Flat Earth in 1900 A.D. - 3.jpg

This one below is from 1905, Mt. Sterling KY Advocate:

Proof People Believed in Flat Earth in 1900 A.D. - 4.jpg

October 2, 1917, Evening Ledger, Philadelphia. This one is savage:

Proof People Believed in Flat Earth in 1900 A.D. - 5.jpg

1954!

Proof People Believed in Flat Earth in 1900 A.D. - 6.jpg

1929:

Proof People Believed in Flat Earth in 1900 A.D. - 7.jpg

From the Buffalo News, October 17, 1953. We were STILL trying to convince people the earth is round.

Proof People Believed in Flat Earth in 1900 A.D. - 8.jpg

Elmira, NY 1930 and we again are still trying to prove the round earth:

Proof People Believed in Flat Earth in 1900 A.D. - 9.jpg

I'll stop there, but wow I could go on for pages and pages. It does appear that round earth is the latest greatest conspiracy...

OP
OP
Searching

Searching

Some interesting articles here:

View attachment 11248

This one below is from 1905, Mt. Sterling KY Advocate:

View attachment 11249

October 2, 1917, Evening Ledger, Philadelphia. This one is savage:

View attachment 11250

1954!

View attachment 11251

1929:

View attachment 11252

From the Buffalo News, October 17, 1953. We were STILL trying to convince people the earth is round.

View attachment 11253

Elmira, NY 1930 and we again are still trying to prove the round earth:

View attachment 11254

I'll stop there, but wow I could go on for pages and pages. It does appear that round earth is the latest greatest conspiracy...
@ anotherlayer, you are awesome! What a treasure trove!

OP
OP
Searching

Searching

Ok, one more, Syracuse 1957:

View attachment 11255

I can not find any image that came from the U.S. Vanguard that shows this pear shaped earth.
Found the same thing at nasa.gov.
NASA Technical Reports Server (NTRS) - Vanguard measurements give pear-shaped component of earth's figure
Of course, we must ask permission in the form of a document inquiry form to see the full article.

Then there is this:
Vanguard's Legacy

Still no pic of the earth taken from Vanquard, but we do get this:

Proof People Believed in Flat Earth in 1900 A.D. - 11.jpg
Vanguard I satellite.

So, we can get an image of the Vanguard satellite orbiting earth, but no pic of earth taken by the Vanguard satellite?
What took this "picture" then?
Only part of earth in frame, but I'm not sure I see a pear shape here.

Oooh, here's another pic of Vanguard orbiting earth:
Proof People Believed in Flat Earth in 1900 A.D. - 12.jpg
The Oldest Satellite in Space Showed the Earth isn't Round but "Pear-Shaped"

I think there was a vid that was, "Originally a public domain film from NASA", but it has since been removed. That's not suspiscious at all.
Vanguard 1 1958 NASA

Ha! Look at these "pics" side-by-side.
Proof People Believed in Flat Earth in 1900 A.D. - 11.jpg

Proof People Believed in Flat Earth in 1900 A.D. - 12.jpg

Earth is the same, same land mass, same cloud formations. I guess (and I'm really giving the non-existent benefit of the doubt here) that these pics could have been taken from the same moment in time, but from different angles by 2 different cameras. (giggles)
Scratch that. Whatever took the second pic would be visible in the first pic.
Why is Vanguard silver in the first pic and gold or bronze in the second?

What land mass is that anyway?

Last edited:

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
This is a very interesting thread with articles not really supporting the official paradigm. Somehow it’s very hard to make sense out of the accepted concept vs. these articles.

At the same time it does show that common core education is not really a modern invention. Indoctrination into alternate reality has been around for a long time.

On a separate note wanted to point out that there are great things to be found in the older obscured publications, and we just need to keep on digging.

WildFire2000

Those pictures with the view from the satellite are -amazingly- fake... WTF? Why isn't anyone asking where Europe and Asia are? Hell, even the rest of Africa ... There isn't enough cloud cover to completely hide all of that land mass. That's BONKERS.

Also, the timeline of Flat vs Round Earth is nutso, also, the 'fact' that Earth is a pear, with the Northern "hemisphere" being pointy and the Southern "hemisphere" being a large bulge. Mind boggling, especially considering all of the planets we can see with our telescopes are nearly perfectly round as far as we can tell. Why do we have fake-ass globes? Why is this pushed so hard on everyone, without taking into account the supposed shape change they willingly admitted? Would it honestly hurt anyone to see the earth as a weird pear? Granted, maps and models for it might be a tad more difficult to make, but they'd at the least be accurate. This is amazing.

Magnus

Interesting. A little too late for April Fools. It makes sense, though, because you still had an older generation that wasn't forced into the (re)education system. Compulsory education began in the United States in 1852, starting with Massachusetts. The last state was Mississippi in 1918. I am unable to find when Minnesota enacted it but I'll try to keep looking. What I would really be interested in is finding the teachers curriculum for different years. Or even to get the ones from the '90s for my own school. I remember learning about "Arctica" one year and then it sort of disappeared and most people forgot about it. I've come to realize that most people do not have great memories, and people like us probably have better memories.

Someone mentioned on reddit the other day that they were taught our blood is blue without oxygen which I was taught as well. The latter is probably an example of something they were taught when they were younger, because it always related to how your blood would look in space, but it wasn't in the curriculum necessarily.

The education system is a great way to divide the generations. We are taught erroneous information as well as things our parents didn't know. And then the next generation is taught differently. Now they have common core math which I always figured was so parents couldn't help their children with their homework; making the children more trusting of the state over their "dumb" parents. So this article isn't really proof of anything more than that, in my opinion. Just that a large portion of the population believed what the Bible taught instead of what the schools was teaching.
I too recall being taught about Arctica in grade school. I was really confused and questioned the teacher that one pole is arctica and the other is antarctica?

Then Arctica disappeared from future grades.

Was probably in the mid to late 80s

PrincepAugus

I've never heard of it though lol. According to Wikipedia here: Arctica - Wikipedia
Arctica or Arctida was an ancient continent which formed approximately 2.565 billion years ago in the Neoarchean era. It was made of Archaean cratons, including the Aldan and Anabar/Angara cratons in Siberia and the Slave, Wyoming, Superior, and North Atlantic cratons in North America. Arctica was named by Rogers 1996 because the Arctic Ocean formed by the separation of the North American and Siberian cratons. Russian geologists writing in English call the continent "Arctida" since it was given that name in 1987, alternatively the Hyperborean craton, in reference to the hyperboreans in Greek mythology.

Nikolay Shatsky (Shatsky 1935) was the first to assume that the crust in the Arctic region was of continental origin. Shatsky, however, was a "fixist" and, erroneously, explained the presence of Precambrian and Paleozoic metamorphic rocks on the New Siberian, Wrangel, and De long Islands with subduction. "Mobilists", on the other hand, also erroneously, proposed that North America had rifted from Eurasia and that the Arctic basins had opened behind a retreating Alaska.

PrimalRed

On the one hand it seems to be classic British satire- but on the other hand, religion was a large influence on the flat earth debate and so you do find examples of extreme zealotry that comes across as satire when it's actually not. Poe's Law.

However the case, its apparent that large populations held onto the flat earth theory longer than mainstream history likes to admit.

It is worth mentioning that there was a fierce debate at the time regarding the existence of the Ether. The famous Michelson-Morley experiment was set up to measure the existence of such an Ether. Basically, light was theorized to travel through a medium, thus would take longer to travel through that medium if one of the other were in motion. An interferometer was set up to measure interference patterns between a beam split and made to travel in the direction of the earth's rotation vs north to south. If one beam traveled a further distance it would recombine at different times and create interference patterns, which meant Ether.

They found no interference patterns. No Ether- case closed.

Unfortunately- there is one huge assumption in the experiment: that the earth is actually in motion. If it were stationary, you'd get the exact same result even with an Ether.

Enter the Sagnac experiment. This also split a beam of light and compared the interference patterns- with one crucial difference: the interferometer was set up on a rotating table. One beam would travel a further distance than the other and if Ether was real there would be interference patterns when recombining the beams. Lo' and behold, interference. Which meant Ether was real, which also meant Earth was Stationary.

Of course mainstream science buried his experiment and now it's about some stupid rotational effect that has nothing to do with the intent of the experiment... lol. Amazing what dogma can do to a mind.

So it wasn't too long ago that peolle were debating these very fundamental ideas about the nature of our reality. Mainstream history paints it as a brave crusade of science against quackery but the fact of the matter is, many brilliant and eminent minds at the time asserted the Ether. And some even acknowledged by proxy that it meant earth was stationary.

Tesla probably had it right: Earth is a system. It doesn't need a shape .

Last edited:

kentucky

I too recall being taught about Arctica in grade school. I was really confused and questioned the teacher that one pole is arctica and the other is antarctica?

Then Arctica disappeared from future grades.

Was probably in the mid to late 80s
Exactly my experience. I do recall leaning it in school in the 80s and recall being confused whether Antarctica was in the north and Arctica was in the south or vice versa, only to be further confused through the years of why I was confused in the first place, as the term “Arctic circle” had functionally replaced any working memory of the word “Arctica” for me. As an aside, my tablet’s autocorrect doesn’t even like the word.

Last edited: