Saint Petersburg Kazan Cathedral was not built when they say it was...

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
I believe this is one of those cases where the global censorship and historical assignment committee failed to do its job properly. They still did an awesome job, but with the amounts they had to deal with, they were prone to have certain objects slip through the cracks.

It appears that a certain Russian historical marvel located in Saint Petersburg, and called the Kazan Cathedral is one of those missed buildings. And we have a certain Swedish artist to thank for this. His name was Benjamin Paterssen.

Kazan Cathedral
Saint Petersburg, Russia
kazan-cathedral-saint-petersburg.jpg

constructed 1801-1811
Kazan Cathedral or Kazanskiy Kafedralniy Sobor, also known as the Cathedral of Our Lady of Kazan, is a cathedral of the Russian Orthodox Church on the Nevsky Prospekt in Saint Petersburg. It is dedicated to Our Lady of Kazan, probably the most venerated icon in Russia.

Construction of the cathedral started in 1801 and continued for ten years under the supervision of Alexander Sergeyevich Stroganov. Upon its completion in 1811, the new temple replaced the Church of Nativity of the Theotokos, which was disassembled when the Kazan Cathedral was consecrated.

The information we need is this:
  • Kazan Cathedral was officially built between 1801 and 1811
  • Andrey Voronikhin was the architect
Benjamin Paterssen

mystery-Man.jpg

1748 - 1815
Fortunately for us, there was this Swedish-born Russian painter and engraver; known primarily for his cityscapes. Unfortunately, the history did not preserve his own image, but it did save quite a few paintings of his.

Around 1800, on a commission by Tsar Paul I, he created a series of works depicting the banks of the Neva, which earned him an appointment as court painter. Most of his works are currently held by the Hermitage and the Pushkin Museum.
What's interesting, out of the above English language sources only one contains the painting we need. But there are quite a few I was able to locate via Google Image search:

View of Kazansky Cathedral as Seen from Nevsky Prospect
Basically, what we have is the Kazan Cathedral fully built, with no signs of recent construction allegedly painted by Benjamin Paterssen in 1800. Meanwhile, the official version states that the Cathedral construction started in 1801, and was not finished prior to 1811.

kazan-cathedral-saint-petersburg_paterssen.jpg

kazans_cath.Jpeg kazan_cathedral_1800.jpg
Remarkable, but for whatever reason the above painting had to be redone. It is titled View of Kazansky Cathedral in 1821". I was not able to figure out who did the 1821 painting, so if you figure it out, please let us know.

Kazan_Cathedral_1821_1_1.jpg

1800 vs. 1821
kazan-cathedral-combined.jpg

Do you see anything different in the above images. I only see one major difference not related to a few missing people and an extra dog. Those are two different types of crosses on the obelisk.

The Crosses

1800 Cross
kazan-cathedral-saint-petersburg_paterssen-crosses.jpg

1821 Cross
Kazan_Cathedral_1821_cross.jpg

I do not know how significant the cross difference is, but here are some different types of crosses out there.

Cross_(PSF).png

The Kazan Cathedral Floors
I am not going to elaborate much on the 3D original marble floors, and solar symbols inside the Christian Cathedral. I doubt every single marble floor professional of today would be able to make a floor like this. Here are some pictures of the floor.

kazan-cathedral-floor_4_1.jpg

kazan-cathedral-floor_4.jpg kazan-cathedral-floor_2.jpg kazan-cathedral-floor_3.jpg kazan-cathedral-floor_1.jpg

Good old Freemasons?

kazan-3.jpg

Obelisk vs. Fountain
For whatever reason the original Obelisk had to be replaced with a water fountain. I do not know why it had to be done, but it appears there was a reason for everything.

kazan-cathedral-fountain_1.jpg

KD: I think we have this "leftover" building, which came with the city later named Saint Petersburg, Whatever the original purpose of this building was I do not know, but it sure was not a Christian Cathedral. Of course, this is only my opinion. Yup, I do not think it was built by the officially reported individuals. Tartarians?

mrakson

Here are two paintings with Kazan Cathedral, one with another different type of cross on the obelisk, by Fyodor Yakovlevich Alekseyev, c.1824.

1824 - Fyodor Alekseyev.jpg

Strange looking obelisk, by Andrey (Andrei) Nikiforovich Voronikhin, c.1800.

Screen Shot 2018-09-02 at 19.45.58.png

Last edited:

LordAverage

This is strange, are we meant to believe that they just painted the building before it even existed based on plans or something. I wonder what the 'source' of its build date being 1801 is. If they even bother with a source for these lies.

ISeenItFirst

This is strange, are we meant to believe that they just painted the building before it even existed based on plans or something. I wonder what the 'source' of its build date being 1801 is. If they even bother with a source for these lies.
Just to play devil's advocate, we do this today all the time. We even make 3d models of them. Also, quite often small features, and more rarely large portions, end up being built differently from the renderings and models.

LordAverage

That's fair, tho I wonder if that was common practice at the time, were artists comissioned to make paintings that included the buildings etc? I could see it somehow being a thing but it already existing almost seems like a more reasonable explanation lol. I guess looking for other examples would be the best bet.

noblewish

It's possible that the paintings were pre-renderings. But then we have to establish whether the artists had communication or contact with the architects, and were able to see floor plans or models or whatnot. Otherwise, it would be strange for artist to paint something that didn't exist yet, without having a clue what it was supposed to look like.

OP
OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
For whatever reason they changed the direction of the shadows on those two images.

Judging by the Sun lighting of the clouds the sun is shining from the opposite direction.

Additionally there has to be something with the green military uniform, or ladies' outfit. They got removed for some reason.

Aldebaran

Hello there, I just opened an account on this forum, my brother told me about this site and said I should check it out, because I lived in St. Petersburg for the last 6 years and I told him a couple of times that I always had an awkward feeling about some buildings in St. Petersburg, including the Kazan cathedral. I'm originally from Amsterdam and to me it always feels like the number of "gigantic" buildings that got constructed in St. Petersburg compared to lets say Amsterdam in such a short time (during 18th and 19th century) was very impressive (or unbelievable)... I'm amazed by the comments here... The marble floor for instance, I've seen it and also thought it had such weird 3d motive in it, which looked very futuristic... It also has a lot of free mason signs everywhere. Overall the quality of the building is very very good ( high standard)... If you need any detailed pics or info about a certain part of the Kazan cathedral (or any other building in St. Petersburg) let me know and I'll visit it and make these photo's. Very impressive info here on this site, I think you guys are really on to something. All the best!

OP
OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
@Aldebaran, I would definitely love to see more pictures of the 3D floors, those are hard to google out. Especially closeups of where the tiles connect.

Another interesting thing to see would be the solar symbols on the same floor, the ones outside of the 3D portion.