Single photo: 1862 Washington DC Capitol Building

anotherlayer

How many cows does it take to deliver a column? Give up? The answer is... roughly 30.

Marble Column Delivery c.1860
Delivery of one on the first marble column shafts on June 15, 1860.
9271965572_670a4ef842_z.jpg

This photo comes from the US Capitol's Flickr account. Which is funny. But, it clearly says on the photo "June 15, 1860", but they list it (twice) as circa 1860. Even they don't really know the years of any of this.

9605437439_32d00e710a_b.jpg

Last edited:

LetsHak

Looking at the British Train Station, a thought came to me. What if the images and or message painted in the dome had to disappear for narrative purposes? So a new dome would be in order.
Or maybe it had to be built of a different material, to neutralize its effectiveness -- maybe to add something harmful, radioactive even.

I've read that the material does not matter, and I've read that conductive is better. Without building my own, I really can't say.
Post automatically merged:

What is the significance of domes anyway? There was a big flap here in Oklahoma when the state capital building spent an enormous amount of money on adding a dome. Practical, thrifty Okies just didn't see the point. What IS the point of a dome? Can't just be aesthetics because if it was, Oklahoma might've thought about removing the eyesore of an oilwell off their front lawn rather than trying to class the place up with a useless dome.
I think they're aether collection devices, much like satellite dishes. Hypothesis is that concentrated aether makes the human body (including brain) work better, and it can be harvested for energy. Notice that domes are very common in government buildings, almost like they're keeping the best tech for themselves.

Last edited:

asatiger1966

I think officially there was none. They had to redo the dome to make it bigger for whatever reason.

I had the same idea of the top of the picture being chopped off.

The image does give out weird vibes, that it does.

And I think the architect is all made up. Bogus education on wikipedia, along with googled pictures like this. The guy is waxed out.

Plus he allegedly built this building. Moyamensing Prison, completed 1835. LOL. He built a castle fortress.

Really? Those guys were masters to build all sorts of structures. No known infrastructure, no remaining documentation, questionable education - assist in producing masterpieces of architecture.
Adding more question, The tract the prison sits on was granted by the Dutch West India Company Lieutenant Alexander d'Hinoyossa, Vice-Director of New Amstel to Marten Roseman (aka Marten Cleinsmit), William Stille and Lawrence Andries.[3] In 1684, when the land was turned over from the Dutch to the English, the title was given by William Penn to William Stille, Lassey Andrews, Andrew Bankson and John Matson.[4] Wikipedia