Pre-1587: Nicaragua Canal Existed?

There is a long history of attempts to build a canal across Nicaragua to connect the Atlantic Ocean with the Pacific Ocean. Construction of such a shipping route - using the San Juan River as an access route to Lake Nicaragua - was first proposed in the early colonial era. Napoleon III wrote an article about its feasibility in the middle of the 19th century. The United States abandoned plans to construct a waterway in Nicaragua in the early 20th century after it purchased the French interests in the Panama Canal. The Panama Canal was built and that is now the main connecting route across Central America.
1587 Urbano Monte Map
nicaragua-canal.jpg

Map Source
Noticed this Nicaragua Canal a long while ago, but never got to actually looking for any additional pertaining info. Obviously, officially it did not exist. For those who run into whatever, or deliberately look for stuff, please share in this article.
  • The canal was previously mentioned by Timeshifter, but I figured a dedicated article was needed due to the historical importance of such a canal.
I think this 1587 Urbano Monte Map which magically appeared in 2017 due to David Rumsey Map Collection's digitizing efforts, could be considered a suspicious miracle. Imho, if the map is real, the contents are most likely antediluvian. Hence the Higueras-city is currently occupied by Lake Nicaragua. Some forces could be a bit more powerful then the others.
  • We don't think that so many cities were established in the "New World" between 1492 and 1587, don't we?

There is a long history of attempts to build a canal across Nicaragua to connect the Atlantic Ocean with the Pacific Ocean. Construction of such a shipping route - using the San Juan River as an access route to Lake Nicaragua - was first proposed in the early colonial era. Napoleon III wrote an article about its feasibility in the middle of the 19th century. The United States abandoned plans to construct a waterway in Nicaragua in the early 20th century after it purchased the French interests in the Panama Canal. The Panama Canal was built and that is now the main connecting route across Central America.
1587 Urbano Monte Map
View attachment 3178
Map Source
Noticed this Nicaragua Canal a long while ago, but never got to actually looking for any additional pertaining info. Obviously, officially it did not exist. For those who run into whatever, or deliberately look for stuff, please share in this article.
  • The canal was previously mentioned by Timeshifter, but I figured a dedicated article was needed due to the historical importance of such a canal.
I think this 1587 Urbano Monte Map which magically appeared in 2017 due to David Rumsey Map Collection's digitizing efforts, could be considered a suspicious miracle. Imho, if the map is real, the contents are most likely antediluvian. Hence the Higueras-city is currently occupied by Lake Nicaragua. Some forces could be a bit more powerful then the others.
  • We don't think that so many cities were established in the "New World" between 1492 and 1587, don't we?
Hello KD, I changed my name from the old form. Just slightly. We covered this subject either late 2018 or early 2019. Below is a map that shows, at least to me. Underground passages at Panama and the Mediterranean Sea area.

athanasiikircher00kirc_4_0185.jpg

athanasiikircher00kirc_4_0219.jpg

tunnels anchient.jpg

Similar articles

Back