Was Stonehenge rebuilt, or constructed in 1954?

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
We all know that famous Stonehenge was built a very long time ago. Archaeologists believe it was constructed from 3000 BC to 2000 BC. And this is what it looks like today. The surrounding circular earth bank and ditch, which constitute the earliest phase of the monument, have been dated to about 3100 BC. Radiocarbon dating suggests that the first blue stones were raised between 2400 and 2200 BC although they may have been at the site as early as 3000 BC. One of the most famous landmarks in the UK, Stonehenge is regarded as a British cultural icon. It has been a legally protected Scheduled Ancient Monument since 1882 when legislation to protect historic monuments was first successfully introduced in Britain.

1280px-Stonehenge2007_07_30.jpg
And for something that old it is perfectly understandable to undergo some maintenance here and there, and now and then. But once again some evidence suggests that things might not be exactly what they appear to be. For example some of the earliest engravings show Stonehenge looking very different.

art-of-stonehenge-pd141.jpg art-of-stonehenge-pd142.jpg
Somebody who knows better then the artist, stated this: Although the artist almost certainly visited Stonehenge during the course of his travels as a map-maker, this picture seems to have been influenced strongly by early pictures of the monument. The stones are topped with ‘sausage roll’ shaped lintels and the background details are wrong. The spire of Salisbury Cathedral may have been introduced by Speed to emphasise the location of Stonehenge.

Yet, that same very John Speed (the author of the second engraving) is being described by the same web source as: John Speed is best known for his county maps of Britain. They were incredibly accurate and very detailed. The maps still provide historians with a lot of information about early seventeenth Britain. The maps are also quite beautiful and Speed's skill as an artist is shown is his drawings. Some of these illustrated books by other people, some of them formed vignettes, or scenes, in the corners of the maps.

More information about John Speed can be found on Wikipedia.

The above engravings present us with the location which looks nothing like the Stonehenge of today. Terrain looks very different. Where did the hills come from? What are those buildings in the background? Of course it is very easy to ridicule the contemporary artist who has no credibility issues.

There is some compelling evidence that the Stonehenge of today was reconstructed fairly recently in 1954. Judging for ourselves is an option we have. The official version is the other option of course. It's for the observer to decide what is more real.

P50128.jpg P50194.jpg P50213.jpg P50232.jpg P50524.jpg P50529.jpg P50772.jpg P50779.jpg P50794.jpg P50797.jpg P50802.jpg P50815.jpg P50825.jpg P50985.jpg P51032.jpg P51085.jpg P51210.jpg P51338.jpg P51423.jpg P51434.jpg P51449.jpg P51655.jpg P51664.jpg P51729.jpg P51851.jpg P51877.jpg P51918.jpg P51945.jpg P51947.jpg P51949.jpg P51951.jpg P51968.jpg P52362.jpg P51779.jpg

And what is that thing inside one of the Stonehenge stones?

WhatIsIt.jpg

There are more pictures at this foreign language site covering the topic.

The engravings from the very old books suggest that the Stonehenge did exist. They also provides us with a very different landscape. And while the official version of this provocative photos is probably some sort of renovation non-sense, I have my own opinion on the issue.

P51423.jpg

I think that original Stonehenge did not quite make it to our times. And recreation paid off. This is a very popular tourist attraction.

Thus it exists once again. Don't ask me why it was backdated to 3000 BC to 2000 BC. 5000 years this way, or 5000 years that way. Who cares? We have a historical attraction. And probably some made up history in the process. What else is new?

Last edited:
Yeah, this has certainly burst quite a few people's bubble on wha we've been spoon fed with regards to past history. GOOD.
(And to think I froze my bollocks off sitting in a Citroen CV6 waiting for sunrise on winter solstice day back in 1985!)

OP
OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
There are a lot of engravings with tons of different Stonehenges. They differ in both landscape and construction shape. I wonder if they originally introduced the current Stonehenge as a reconstruction, would that affect the flow of tourists?

humanoidlord

there is one ancient drawing wich showns a square stonehenge and another that showns stonehenge with an metal barrier of orichalchium around it

OP
OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
there is one ancient drawing wich showns a square stonehenge and another that showns stonehenge with an metal barrier of orichalchium around it
There are probably hundreds of different depictions. The issue is that UK is portraying this one as authentic.