Question | 1913 Istanbul: Tram tracks installation or what?

Reaction score
Found the below image on this Twitter account. After google-translating the image description we get the following:
train-track-construction.jpg

KD: What do you think is going on this photograph? Are they actually installing the tracks, or doing something else?

This isn't installation. There is a guy with a pick axe; why dig out the dirt you just packed in to the tracks?. Also, look at the left track? What construction crew would pile 10 tons of rubble DIRECTLY in the path of the tracks they're laying? Then, at the bottom, who would fill in over the tracks if they were new? And, half the people are looking at the tracks like they've never seen them before.

Upvote 1
This isn't installation. There is a guy with a pick axe; why dig out the dirt you just packed in to the tracks?. Also, look at the left track? What construction crew would pile 10 tons of rubble DIRECTLY in the path of the tracks they're laying? Then, at the bottom, who would fill in over the tracks if they were new? And, half the people are looking at the tracks like they've never seen them before.
And what is the rubble anyway? Is it "supposed" to be from tearing up the road? Doesn't seem right...

Additionally:

Screenshot_20210208-201740~2.jpg

It sure looks like there that the man with the umbrella is walking on some sort of finished surface that compares in appearance to the rubble that's laying around. Look at the piece right next to his shoe and compare to the blocks in front of the workers.

Regardless, the area the man is walking on is filled in. So it's either that the track got laid and then they filled it in, or they're digging the track out. The first way seems absurd... wouldn't you lay the whole track (or at least a coherent section of it) before filling in as needed? Wouldn't you do that whole part of the street and not just the area between the tracks?

Two other observations: it seems that the track continues by curving off to the left near the end of the road and possibly hasn't been installed/uncovered in the middle section, though it's hard to tell with all the people. Also, the three posts (that look like lampposts) on the right don't have any lamps on top. For whatever that's worth!

Upvote 1
I reckon they are repairing sections of the tracks possibly removing the worn out parts with fresh stock.
The bloke in the apron on the extreme left in front of umbrella man is brushing the track bed clean. The chap with the pick just off his left shoulder is a curving pipe which disappears into the white 'rubble' follow it in the other direction and it disappears again into the rubble. Another similar pipe appears behind the man to the right of pick man and dives off again around his feet.
Could be an air hose, could be a pipe through which a pushrod or wire ran to operate the at points, not sure what they are called in the United States but is where two tracks become one. The tracks in Bantas blow up look the same as points on railways of today.

EDIT to add.
Those posts could be the posts that carry the power to the trams via an arm at right angles to the posts. Possibly we are looking at an electrification of the tram system and they are taking the opportunity to repair/upgrade the tracks?

Upvote 0
And what is the rubble anyway? Is it "supposed" to be from tearing up the road? Doesn't seem right...

Additionally:

It sure looks like there that the man with the umbrella is walking on some sort of finished surface that compares in appearance to the rubble that's laying around. Look at the piece right next to his shoe and compare to the blocks in front of the workers.

Regardless, the area the man is walking on is filled in. So it's either that the track got laid and then they filled it in, or they're digging the track out. The first way seems absurd... wouldn't you lay the whole track (or at least a coherent section of it) before filling in as needed? Wouldn't you do that whole part of the street and not just the area between the tracks?

Two other observations: it seems that the track continues by curving off to the left near the end of the road and possibly hasn't been installed/uncovered in the middle section, though it's hard to tell with all the people. Also, the three posts (that look like lampposts) on the right don't have any lamps on top. For whatever that's worth!
I think I found the same place today those post are supports hold thebsupport lines for the tram.
The old photos left track matches the new photos track. Maybe they were ripping up road, and moving the track.

turkey.jpg

Upvote 0
Nice picture. Looks like the spot, all right!

It appears that no matter what, we are all in agreement that this definitely does not look like a new installation, as claimed by the image description. Now, of course, the image label could just be wrong, the original installation could have been earlier, or the photo is misdated... though it doesn't really look like it'd be much later than 1913, judging by the people's attire (which is pretty odd by itself that urban people from the late 19th to early 20th century have a certain look, whether you're in the US, UK, Turkey, etc...)

Upvote 0
From the modern photo it looks like the section being repaired/replaced was/is too narrow for a double track so they possibly created a passing loop behind the camera viewpoint where the up tram would wait whilst the down tram travelled the narrow part and visa versa hence we see the points.

Look at the fashions of today. When i was a teenager 73-79 jeans became ubiquitous desirable attire just about everywhere. When my grandfather born 1907 went to visit his parents who had emigrated to Canada when he was in his early twenties in the one picture I have of him out there and the one picture of his father in his cabin at Timmins they both wore the same kind of shirt pants combination with leather boots/shoes. Corduroy, denim or hemp trousers and cotton shirts with modern collars. An example of how fashions travel wherever people travel.

Last edited:
Upvote 1
Look at the fashions of today. When i was a teenager 73-79 jeans became ubiquitous desirable attire just about everywhere.
Well, if that's the case, they had to wear an attire of the same style all over the world with very little cultural differences.
  • On May 1, 1893, a crowd gathered to watch President Grover Cleveland and other dignitaries mark the grand opening of the World’s Columbian Exposition.
I find it somewhat bizarre. People in Istanbul wearing almost the exact same stuff we see people wearing in Chicago.

Upvote 0
I find it somewhat bizarre. People in Istanbul wearing almost the exact same stuff we see people wearing in Chicago.
I'm just providing an example of how fashions can travel greater distances than people in a shorter time.
That site you linked had this interesting photograph and my guess is that the men are not in traditional Indian attire but the women likely are. Which shows attire is not always an indicator of anything beyond a fashion trend so too speak.
Lets face it all human bodies are built the same way and the coverings they sport are usually cognisant of the prevailing weather condition in any given place and the choice of attire is limited, jacket shirt and pants being the most common for men as in most instances they are the most practical. Variations of course occur as do exceptions on narrow and broad scales but in the main they look very similar.
Hats provide a better indication of place in my book. Not perfect as they too follow fashion but more often with hats the older men and women tend to hang on to the headwear they have worn all their lives and care not for fashions thus giving a better sense of place.
Anyway that tram track image could be anywhere in Turkey or the Balkans and probably around the Black Sea area but the modern image found by Aiahavezred puts it firmly in place.

Edit forgot to post the image!
geronimo-and-apaches-at-the-st-louis-fair.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Back