Westworld

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
5.00 star(s) Rating: 5.00/5 1 Vote
Title: Westworld

Genre: Western, Science Fiction

First aired: 2016-10-02

Creator: Jonathan Nolan, Lisa Joy

Cast: Evan Rachel Wood, Thandie Newton, Jeffrey Wright, James Marsden, Tessa Thompson, Ed Harris, Anthony Hopkins, Ingrid Bolsø Berdal, Clifton Collins Jr., Fares Fares, Luke Hemsworth, Katja Herbers, Louis Herthum, Zahn McClarnon, Simon Quarterman, Talulah Riley, Rodrigo Santoro, Angela Sarafyan, Gustaf Skarsgård, Shannon Woodward

Overview: A dark odyssey about the dawn of artificial consciousness and the evolution of sin. Set at the intersection of the near future and the reimagined past, it explores a world in which every human appetite, no matter how noble or depraved, can be indulged.

Last edited:

whitewave

I've only watched about 3 episodes and I found it disturbing. Why would you indulge the baser aspects of humanity like this? Seems only a short step to leaving WestWorld for the Real World and treating your fellow human beings the same way. Reminded me of The Purge in which all pretense of nurturing man's nobility was abandoned and we reverted to our beast-like natures.

OP
OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
The main idea is disturbing if you consider a possibility of this scenario being a reflection of the world setup.

whitewave

Gah! I hope not. If it is, how do we change the world's channel?

Oh I like the series, I have watched every episode. Grim and violent for sure, but I love Ed Harris, even playing such a sadistic bastard and I'm hooked. I like all the characters, my favorite series ever, well besides Red Dwarf is Dexter. Oh how I miss Dexter. Oh and Bates Motel was extremely entertaining.

anyway, that's my taste in entertainment, so if anybody else likes those shows, you might like Westworld. I think all the actors are brilliant but as far as story line goes, a person would must assuredly have to start at the beginning or you will be saying WTF alot.

What are your opinions and associations on these TV series?
I assume we're like "the hosts" and what you see with the human condition is largely our violent, carnal, avaricious desires playing out. However, there is a certain "type" of consciousness that isn't fulfilled by indulging in base desires and seeks Gnosis. Or maybe we're the visitors and the knuckle draggers around us are the hosts.

Either way, I'll cop to it, I devoured both seasons in obsessive binge sessions.

I see it as giving an idea of how man was created by 'god' and his 'associates' and the struggle for perfecting the human machine. The long trial of success and error and of man developing intelligence from experience and consciousness from an accumulation of residual memories over the lifetimes.

I think we are exactly the same. We have an avatar ( the human body) with its program and machinery, and an operator (the Spirit) that inhabits said avatar for a period of time. In fact I think it is an exact replica of our situation.

Robert Ford (Anthony Hopkins) reminds me of Odin in this role. I think that the association would still be present whether or not he played Odin in the Marvel series.

Disturbed - The Sound Of Silence

Attachments

TV show information provided by The Movie Database