Why is China not centuries ahead of the world in technology?

whitewave

According to official sources, China has been hundreds of years ahead of the rest of the world in just about every field of civilization building-medicine, weapons of warfare, technological inventions, manufacturing processes, structural engineering, and so on. So how is it that China hasn't already colonized/terraformed Mars or invented flying cars? Why did they fight (and lose) the communists takeover using pitchforks?

First use of poison gas in warfare was by the Germans in 1915 during WWI. Earliest mention of chemical warfare was in Bronze age Greece when Hercules poisoned arrows with Hydra venom. Wiki tells you things like that then they blithely go on to contradict themselves by saying that the Mahabarata advised poisoning an enemy's food and water in 400 B.C. India even has a book entitled Arthashastra which gives you recipes for chemical weapons. In second century B.C., china used to pump toxic smoke from poisonous burning plants into tunnels made by besieging armies. So 2500 years before the official use of chemical weapons, China was fumigating enemy tunnels with chemical weapons.

The amazing Chinese invented cast iron in the 6th century B.C. wiki says European Iron Age began 8th century B.C., Brittanica says 12th century B.C., Childress says 1300 A.D. Basically, we have no idea who or when cast iron was invented however, the Chinese, apparently late to start manufacturing cast iron if wiki and Childress are to be believed, were the first to manufacture steel in the 4th century B.C.-over 2k years before Westerners got around to it. One wonders why the Westerners, who supposedly understood the use of cast iron 800 years before Christ, waited until the 18th century A.D. to start making steel. The Chinese wasted no time in figuring it out.

Movable type is another of China's firsts. Over 400 years ahead of Guttenberg (15th century). Bi Sheng hand-carved thousands of Chinese characters (backwards) in clay then fire-hardened them into blocks as pictured below. They have to be backwards because when you put the papyrus or parchment over the inked blocks they will be facing the correct direction when printed. I can sort of understand why the Chinese printing press didn't stand the world on its ear like the Guttenberg press as the Chinese language has over 5k characters and makes for an unwieldy and slow-going process. Still, the IDEA of printing should not have taken the rest of the world another 400 years to duplicate.

chinese_movable_type.jpg

Paper, another Chinese invention, was invented in 100 B.C. replacing parchment and papyrus as a quicker and less expensive alternative. It took another 1000 years for this alternative to become popular because the rest of the world preferred slower and more expensive methods. **sarcasm**

invention-of-paper-in-china.jpg
The mechanical clock was invented by a Chinese Buddhist, Yi Xing, in 725 A.D. It was not the gears and pins model we associate with clocks today-that version was invented by another Chinaman, Su Song, a few hundred years later-but originally was more like a waterwheel with steadily dripping water causing it to make one complete turn every 24 hours. I'm not a mathematician like Yi Xing but an ICU nurse that often has to calculate drip factors for bags of intravenous fluids. Even with known drip rates of specific diameter tubing, a calculator, and rate conversion formulas (cheat sheets), it still takes a bit of fiddling with IV pumps to calculate how many drips per minute equals the ordered rate of so many cc's/hour. Yi Xing must've had a lot of time on his hands to figure out how many drops of water would turn a wheel one revolution per 24 hours.

Chinese Mechanical Clock.jpg

It's not surprising to learn that Chinese invented tea [drinking] almost 3000 years ago and the British decided they liked the beverage too about 4000 years later. It's an acquired taste, I guess. It seems a little odd to me that it was the British who introduced tea to India considering India's' geographical proximity to China. The East India company apparently instigated the opium wars to weaken China who was demanding an equal weight in silver to pay for the tea. What is surprising to learn is that the Chinese also invented alcohol about 2000 years ago. And because you need something special to put these special drinks in they also invented porcelain. They managed to keep that secret from the West until the 17th century.
Gunpowder was a Chinese invention that changed the world and our place in it. Accidentally discovered to be loud, bright, and dangerous which is not at all what you want when you're looking for a potion for immortality, it was originally used for fireworks to amuse and impress the masses. The English, who have no sense of humor, (J/K) incorporated it into a weapon of war. It was only natural that after inventing gunpowder the Chinese should also invent rockets. Although they were invented in 228 B.C. they were called "fire arrows" which is also what Sun Tsu recommended using back in 565 B.C., 300 years before rockets were officially invented. And since you need a way to fire up all that gunpowder and set your rockets aflight, they also invented matches.
chinese_gun_powder.jpg
Silk was, of course, invented by the Chinese who saw that sticky wad of insect goo and thought, "Hey, I bet we could make some clothes out of that!" the wife of the Yellow Emperor (who invented Chinese medicine) is credited with making alcohol and looms and figuring out how to turn mulberry worm cocoons into lovely, durable, and thermodynamically stable textiles. What a gal! AKA "The Goddess" It takes about 80 hours for a skilled weaver to hand spin 1 kilogram of silk. To produce 1 kg of silk, 104 kg of mulberry leaves must be eaten by 3000 silkworms. It takes about 5000 silkworms to make a pure silk kimono. Westerners had to pay the weight of the silk in an equal amount of gold so, of course, monks were sent in to steal some silkworms.

chinese_silk_invention.jpg

Having such a useful material led to more handy inventions like the umbrella in 3630 B.C. I'm sure a few of those umbrellas got away from people on windy days so they just went ahead and invented the kite in 3000 B.C.

ancient-china-umbrella.jpg

Chinese invented the compass between the first and second century A.D. By 1100 A.D. the West also had them. I wonder how all those sea-faring cultures were able to get from one shore to another for so long without this handy device.
One of the truly remarkable Chinese inventions was an earthquake detection device capable of detecting seismographic activity over 500 miles away and to determine from which direction it was coming. Its inventor, Zhang Cheng was the Tesla of his time; an astronomer, mathematician, engineer, geographer, and inventor.

ancient-china-magnetic-compass.png

Being ever so clever and ahead of the rest of the world in every aspect of technology, the Chinese invented wheelbarrows, seed drills (3500 years ago), fishing rods, the abacus, toothbrushes (but not until 1498-eww), paper money (9th century A.D.), acupuncture (>2000k years ago). They were the first to start planting in rows (6th century B.C.) instead of doing like the the rest of the world and just tossing seed randomly about and hoping for the best for the next 2200 years!

With all this going for them, one wonders at the sudden technological slowing of the Chinese of late. Why are they not terraforming and colonizing the planets? They seem to be ahead of the West in almost all technological developments-writing, iron and steel manufacturing, gunpowder, medicine, canal building, mechanical clocks, movable type for printing books, seismographs (and earthquake resistant houses), and all the other marvels of a civilized and technologically advanced society. How is it they do not rule the world?

Could it be they inherited this knowledge and these technologies from an earlier race?

WW summary: For a people who probably didn't exist during the times of these inventions it seems unlikely that they are the actual inventors. This information ties into the Tarim mummies found along the western (Tartary) border of China during an archaeological excavation in the late 1980's. Their many pyramids also seem to be on the western side. It also seems unlikely they had so many multiple PhD-type individuals available to build/invent canals and every other technological and cultural advancement. Where did all these bright people learn their multi-disciplinary talents? Even the women seem to figure prominently in so many of the Chinese inventions despite their footbound state. There are also Chinese legends of Caucasoid giants that originally ruled China and taught them many things. Recent discoveries of "giant" graves seem to confirm the legends. Although these giants were only about 6.2, they would have been considered giants to the native population. Why is it important that the Chinese be seen as ancient or as advanced inventors? Is it because they inherited (by means unknown) the technology of their near neighbors the Tartars (whose name and memory we have all but erased from history)?

Last edited:

Apollyon

Last edited:
OP
OP
whitewave

whitewave

Good questions. I'll take a S.W.A.G. at them.
The alcohol content of the Asian brews was about 4-5% so not a kick-ass alcohol. Plus, Asians in general seem to value self-control. Drunkeness is antithetical to self control.
We probably did have FAS before the 50's but before then most people were birthed at home. Wouldn't necessarily have been noticed by midwives and generally speaking, women didn't usually imbibe heavily (or at all) for various reasons.
Don't understand the significance of the reddit link or how it relates to China. Explain, please?

Apollyon

Good questions. I'll take a S.W.A.G. at them.
The alcohol content of the Asian brews was about 4-5% so not a kick-ass alcohol. Plus, Asians in general seem to value self-control. Drunkeness is antithetical to self control.
We probably did have FAS before the 50's but before then most people were birthed at home. Wouldn't necessarily have been noticed by midwives and generally speaking, women didn't usually imbibe heavily (or at all) for various reasons.
Don't understand the significance of the reddit link or how it relates to China. Explain, please?
Sake has considerably more alcohol than western wine. The "pyramid" in Siberia is just close to china/ in Asia thats why I shared. Maybe nobody drank until recently it can't be ruled out at this point imo. Maybe the alcohol they had was just for medical purposes.

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
I have heard this theory that Chinese culture as we know it, only has a few hundreds years of history. I have not specifically looked into this yet, but that could be an explanation.

I've read that Chinese refuse to provide any of their Terracotta Army Warriors for testing. Apparently they provided a few warriors for some exhibitions several years back. They were tested and found fake. I think the Chinese explained that those were copies for the real ones are not allowed to leave the country. I'm paraphrasing from memory. The scandal was a few years back, but here are some related links.

A visit to the bogus terracotta army
German museum admits China terracotta warriors are fakes
China is now faking its own famous terracotta warriors | Daily Mail Online
Lawsuit: Half of Franklin Institute’s Terracotta Warriors Were Fake
Fake terracotta warriors destroyed by Chinese police

Pretty sure a hard look into available evidence and sources will produce the same inconsistencies we experience everywhere else.

Additionally, I might have some suspicions of genetic engineering about 300-400 years ago. Just look at their population grows chart. The only similar chart is owned by India, which I think shares this 300-400 year time frame.

BStankman

Yes, of course the Chinese invented everything.
But today their economy is based on violation of copyright and intellectual property rights.

No surprise they beat everyone else to the moon by thousands of years, and built a base. And proved the celestial model.

In the year 2309 B.C. the engineer of Emperor Yao decided to go to the moon. The "celestial bird" provided him with information on his trip. He explored space by the current of luminous air".

Hou Yih flew into space where "he did not perceive the rotary movement of the sun."
On the moon he saw the ’frozen-looking horizon" and erected abuilding, "the Palace of Cold."

His wife Chang Ngo likewise flew to the moon, which she found a,
"luminous sphere, shining like glass, of enormous size and very cold; the light of the moon has its birth in the sun," she declared.

They sound just like the insecure little pathological liar you went to elementary school with.

Last edited:
OP
OP
whitewave

whitewave

Additionally, I might have some suspicions of genetic engineering about 300-400 years ago. Just look at their population grows chart. The only similar chart is owned by India, which I think shares this 300-400 year time frame.
I'd be interested to see some information on this or just to hear your musings on the subject. Things like that help us narrow down where to look in our search for answers. You can cover up a lot of history, artifacts, documents; you can burn down buildings, libraries, but you can't cover up the DNA evidence. I know there are those who don't believe in DNA but I'm not one of them. Governments and even the Mormons are just too interested in our genetic markers for me to believe they don't exist.

No surprise they beat everyone else to the moon by thousands of years, and built a base. And proved the celestial model.
Yeah, that one sounded way too far out there for me to include it. Some of those ancient stories I think are allegorical or at least trying to reveal some deeper truth via simpleton stories.
Something my husband keeps pointing out is that the Chinese have more of a "hive mind" than other cultures. It always strikes me as a tad racist so I usually tune him out when he talks like that but if there was genetic tampering then altering people to have more of a hive mentality may have been the goal. I simply don't know. What I do know is that many newer things are given an air of antiquity to make them seem more legitimate, stable, authentic. I'm not talking about people, necessarily, but about artifacts, documents, etc. People may also be in that category.

mythstifieD

Just wanted to say this is a high quality post. Your sarcasm was actually quite effective in exposing the absurdity of it all. I especially liked your insight about how they invented Tea yet the British introduced it to India?! That's a smoking gun.

dreamtime

China is the most faked country. They have to cover all of their pyramids and old structures, and instead create entire museums with nothing but faked artefacts.

There is something about the Chinese collective psyche that accepts pathological lies. They have a very collectivist society, and truth can't survive in such an atmosphere. Additionally questioning is suppressed on a state level.

It's similar to India, which also is collectivist as a whole. The Indian culture has a similar lack of regard for the truth. When you read scientific papers from India, the differente to Western culture of science becomes obvious.

I wonder where those people came from in Asia, because I can't imagine the highly-developed "Tartarian" cultures of old being comprised of such easily-manipulated races. And how did they replace all of those with genetic potential for individualized personalities?

In both cases in contrast to Europe there is no long history of critical thinking. Only western countries have this history of rigorous questioning.

That's why the most sophisticated forgery of history happened in Europe, Russia and America. The forgery was led by brilliant scientists who created a complicated matrix of history. The contradiction becomes only obvious when you don't get overwhelmed by the details and look at the whole. This requires holistic thinking and an open mind.

In contrast, in China it looks like someone just took a day off from regular work and wrote down a quick fantasy story and passed it off as ancient history.

There is only one "culture" in the world that ever had the desire to map history in a systematic way and write everything down chronologically, and that were those forces associated with Vatican/Jesuits/British Crown/Spanish Colonialists/German Science.

They started with a revised chronology in Europe, then Russia, Asia, etc. and this single "entity" wrote the history of every culture that now resides on earth. There is no excemption. Everything is originating from one single source.

First they sent all of their troops into every single kingdom on earth, took it over (imperialism), installed their secret networks and public "democracy"; then called those nations free while remaining in the backround. The spiderweb is invisible now but it is still there.

The proof is in the fact that all ancient calendars got replaced by calendars in sync with the Gregorian one. It's even in the official history that Russian history was written by Germans. There's nothing hidden about this fact, only that mainstream historians interpret that differently than we do.

China is just an outpost, an experiment similar to India in controlling large masses of people, herding them like cattle.

In our system no one can be ahead of anyone fundamentally, except the small group that hides from us. When someone dares to change the rules of the game, which is very easy for authoritarian leaders, they get knocked out (Ghaddafi), because there is one thing that isn't allowed: Freeing people from their slavery. The masses need always be in a state of dependency, because this is how grass-roots movements are suppressed.

That's why government-structured states are so important for the elite. You can't allow a single entity to have so much power as Ghaddafi had, instead you create a complicated system of checks-and balances where secret rewards and punishment lead to the desired behavior. You then connect such a system to a more secret shadow government, which is in itself connected to an even more secret group, and so on.

I wonder where this groups got their ideas from, and if they already had experience with such networks from previous planets/realms. I can see them moving from realm to realm, through the poles, and terraforming each new realm for their needs. Maybe they came from one of the poles. Maybe antarctica? Could explain the US base on the south pole. Or maybe they are instead moving into the world on the other side of the south pole, conquering the next world, which could explain all the recent activity there...

Or they had just splitted off from humanity itself and are confined to this realm?

One thing for sure, they are moving so slow that every generation can only get a glimpse into what is happening, and when a new generation comes another small step it taken. One indication that the entities in power have a life exptectancy of several hundreds of years, while we are "hard-coded" to die at around 100 in our current environment, even in the best of all biological and environmental circumstances.

Last edited:

LordAverage

Definitely important to keep in mind that China has gone about systematically destroying all remains of its ancient culture. In the name of moving the state from a spiritual/mystical majority to an atheist (for lack of a better word) one.

At the Red Guard rallies, Lin Biao also called for the destruction of the "Four Olds"; namely, old customs, culture, habits, and ideas. Lin's speeches did not specify what needed to be "destroyed" as part of this campaign; Mao believed that in creating "great disorder", the masses should organically steer the direction of the movement rather than rely on the authorities to tell them what to do.

As for their culture, I think that is true in terms of a collective thought and saving face but I don't see why genetic engineering even needs to be a part of it (not ruling it out entirely). I think culture and different ideals forced over generations can make two races of the same species act very different. Brains are weird I guess.

Complete bullshit that India didn't drink tea till the 1800s.

If you have ever gone through the ancient history of India, you must have come across the name of the Chinese Buddhist monk Hsuan Tsang (var. Hiuen Tsiang) who visited India through the Silk Route between AD 627-643. He was a great traveler, scholar and translator. Till date his work on India is very significant.

So, India had native tea plants (that they used in their diet, just not for drinking water infusion), they had chinese travellers coming in and out every so often and they just never used fire+water+plant to make tea with all of that. They needed BRITISH INTERVENTION in 1820 to tell them about tea their neighbours have been drinking for thousands of years.

ISeenItFirst

Definitely important to keep in mind that China has gone about systematically destroying all remains of its ancient culture. In the name of moving the state from a spiritual/mystical majority to an atheist (for lack of a better word) one.

At the Red Guard rallies, Lin Biao also called for the destruction of the "Four Olds"; namely, old customs, culture, habits, and ideas. Lin's speeches did not specify what needed to be "destroyed" as part of this campaign; Mao believed that in creating "great disorder", the masses should organically steer the direction of the movement rather than rely on the authorities to tell them what to do.

As for their culture, I think that is true in terms of a collective thought and saving face but I don't see why genetic engineering even needs to be a part of it (not ruling it out entirely). I think culture and different ideals forced over generations can make two races of the same species act very different. Brains are weird I guess.

Complete bullshit that India didn't drink tea till the 1800s.

If you have ever gone through the ancient history of India, you must have come across the name of the Chinese Buddhist monk Hsuan Tsang (var. Hiuen Tsiang) who visited India through the Silk Route between AD 627-643. He was a great traveler, scholar and translator. Till date his work on India is very significant.

So, India had native tea plants (that they used in their diet, just not for drinking water infusion), they had chinese travellers coming in and out every so often and they just never used fire+water+plant to make tea with all of that. They needed BRITISH INTERVENTION in 1820 to tell them about tea their neighbours have been drinking for thousands of years.
I think it's safe to say the whole 1800s Indian tea thing is bogus. It's one of the blatantly bogus stories, like skyscrapers with no elevators.

I'd say chronologically from Prometheus up until about Coca Cola, boiling and consuming various plants would have been a ubiquitous aspect of the human condition.

What culture has no forms of tea??

OP
OP
whitewave

whitewave

There were several things I found bogus in regards to Chinese inventions. How did people not figure out planting in rows? It sort of comes naturally. I also can't believe they figured out umbrellas before the British. It rains all the time over there. Printing press took a few hundred more years for Guttenburg to figure out? Give me a minute to wipe the stupid off my forehead and you can pour me a bigger glass of the Koolaid.

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Rh negative blood is so rare in China it is called Panda Blood because pandas are rare also. This negative blood and blue eyes do deserve a genetic engineering thread. Maybe.
This is the first time I hear about this Panda Blood thing. I had totally different in mind, and now have to look into additional things. I'm like torn in 10 different directions, and don't have time for any at the moment, lol.