1770 book: Atlantis subdivided into three more, America, Sebastia, and Hyperborea

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
This is just an FYI, in case you feel like doing some interesting reading. At the same time I have never heard an Atlantis theory like this. Wondering if the text, or the continent split story slipped through the cracks of the censoring process.

The text is written in hypotheticals, as if the author was speculating. May be he was, or may be he had to do it that way, mixing in bits and pieces of the taboo info into the allowed concept.

Appears that the "non-ancient" Plato's Atlantis could have been a bit bigger than anybody thought.

The below cutout is from 1770 book titled, "Some account of the British Dominions beyond the Atlantic..."

Atlantis_1.png

Originally there were three continents(?): Ogygia, Atlantis, and Australia
  • Ogygia is definitely not an island Homer mentioned, but... may be it was mentioned for a reason.
Atlantis split into:
  • America - North America? Amerigo Vespucci?
  • Sebastia - South America? Sebastian Cabot? - this is not a city bearing the same name
  • Hyperborea
Sebastian Cabot’s father John Cabot, was a Venetian Navigator. Venice again?

Where is Columbus-Colon?

Ogygia split into:
  • Europe
  • Asia
  • Africa
Australia split into:
  • impossible to say into how many lesser parts it is subdivided

parta

doyle wanted everyone to agree to his new system so all the criminals could be transported to the arctic. his reviewers thought that was a good idea.

peace

parta

Is this an opinion, or Doyle left a source for this info?
monthly review
In order that the possessions of the European powers might be accommodated to his allotments and new geographical divisions, he proposes certain exchanges of dominions among the European powers to effect a contiguity of empire ; for which the work may be consulted. When the powers of Europe have carried these barters into execution, so that among other changes, we have obtained a clear title to all the northern isles and continent, which he calls Hyperborea; one excellent effect is to result, by transporting all convicts, fraudulent bankrupts, and even suspected persons who escape legal conviction, thither, “ In short, he adds, a knave should not be left in Britain !” The sooner this happy scheme is executed, the better; only it may be left to his consideration, whether this might not leave the mother country too thin of inhabitants ?
18 years later they started transporting to australia. i guess the arctic was too good for them.
Major Wilford’s investigations led him to remark, in the 8th volume of the “Asiatic Researches,” that it is well known to the learned that, at a very remote period, Europe and Africa were considered as but one of two grand divisions of the world, and that the appellation Africa was even extended to the western parts of Europe, all along the shores of the Atlantic.” He points out that the word Africa comes from Apar, Aphar, Apara, or Aparica, terms used, in times almost forgotten by tradition, to signify “The West,” just as we now, continuing the ancient method of designation, call most of the Asiatic world ” The East.”

It is only since the time of the Romans that the word Africa has become a name for one of the grand divisions of the globe. In the most ancient times the eastern part of that grand division was called ” Sancha ” a term that still remains in the words Zengh, Zenghbhar, Zanguebar, Zingis, and the like; while the northern, and especially the northwestern part, was designated as Apar, Aparica, Afarica, and finally Africa.
so there were ethiopians in hungary.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
I do not mind if Doyle himself proposed it. But this appears to be an opinion similar to contemporary ones we see everyday on TV, where political analysts try to explain the actions of some political figure.

Did Doyle himself mentioned this?

That said, the British did a lot of different thing to, and in Australia. The alleged unload of the criminals was one of those. Why does it mean that Doyle was making stuff up?

parta

I do not mind if Doyle himself proposed it. But this appears to be an opinion similar to contemporary ones we see everyday on TV, where political analysts try to explain the actions of some political figure.

Did Doyle himself mentioned this?

That said, the British did a lot of different thing to, and in Australia. The alleged unload of the criminals was one of those. Why does it mean that Doyle was making stuff up?
it seems doyle proposes it but in truth i have not read that in doyle for i cannot read much of doyle because his language is a bit awkward and the fffs for ssss thing drives me batty.