19th Century: Tunnel Boring Machines, Frederick Beaumont, Second Industrial Revolution

OP
OP
KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
Here are 1886 accomplishments. Allegedly took 5 years to build 1881-1886.

Mersey Railway Tunnel
The Mersey Railway was the first part of the passenger railway connecting the communities of Liverpool, Birkenhead, and now the rest of the Wirral Peninsula in England, which lie on opposite banks of the River Mersey, via the Mersey Railway Tunnel. The railway opened in 1886 with four stations using steam locomotives hauling unheated wooden carriages; in the next six years the line was extended and three more stations opened.

Mersey_Railway_Tunnel_-_ventilation_and_drainage_machinery.jpg

Mersey_Railway_opening_illustration.jpg

asatiger1966

Attachments

Ice Nine

The edge is elusive at best, just when you think your there it moves again.
One has to ask where is my edge?
The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. The others-the living-are those who pushed their control as far as they felt they could handle it, and then pulled back, or slowed down, or did whatever they had to when it came time to choose between Now and Later. But the edge is still Out there.

Hunter S Thompson

I can relate, I've teetered on the brink more than a few times.

wizz33

a shop tour of a young old tool collector there a some things that come straight out of a recovered factory or home shop.
also look at weights and what is minimum vehicle needed to move them.
especially the fist machine in the second video.