Where was Jesus really crucified: Golgotha or Cordoba? Where was the real Jerusalem?

KorbenDallas

Negotiator
I am not quite sure why Giovanni Battista Cavallini would place the Crucifixion of Jesus Christ in the vicinity of the Spanish city of Cordoba, but I could not walk by the abnormality without making a few comments on the matter. As it often happens, a few additional historical scenarios presented their hypothetical possibility. While in this specific example there could be alternate reasons for placing the Crucifixion in Spain, I still wanted to share my observations with the forum members.
Though we know that Giovanni Battista Cavallini worked uninterrupted in Livorno from 1635 to 1656, the man remains a mysterious figure. In the 1652 atlas Teatro del mondo marittimo he declared that he was Genoese and signed his name ‘Giouan Batta Cauallini Genovese Geografico’; one might surmise that it was the Maggiolo family’s monopoly in Genoa over the production of charts, compasses and hourglasses that drove him to abandon his native city and seek his fortune in Livorno. A score of Cavallini’s signed works is extant, all apparently produced in Livorno.
What do I find interesting here?

Crucifixion of Jesus
basic info

The crucifixion of Jesus occurred in 1st-century Judea, most likely between AD 30 and 33. He was then hung between two convicted thieves and, according to the Gospel of Mark, died some six hours later. During this time, the soldiers affixed a sign to the top of the cross stating "Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews" which, according to the Gospel of John, was written in three languages.

Golgotha was, according to the Gospels, a site immediately outside Jerusalem's walls where Jesus was crucified.

Golgotha vs. Cordoba
Just like I said before, I have no idea why Mr. Cavallini would place the Crucifixion symbol in the Spanish city of Cordoba. There could be a reasonable explanation which I am not aware of. Yet, with the amount of mixed up historical facts we have, this could steer us in the direction of alternate Jerusalem location. Below is a cutout from the 1640 map titled "Portolan chart of the Mediterranean Sea and western part of the Black Sea".

INRI stems from the Latin phrase ''Iesus Nazarenus Rex Iudaeorum'' meaning ''Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews''. This was the notice Pontius Pilate nailed over Jesus.
1640 - Iesus Nazarenus Rex Iudaeorum
cordoba_jesus_1.jpg

1640 - Portolan chart of the Aegean Sea and part of the Mediterranean Sea including Crete.jpg
Map Source
The above map does show a much smaller cross in the vicinity of the traditional Jerusalem.

golgotha_1.jpg

Christ of the University Brotherhood of Cordoba
There is probably not much to the fact of the existence of this overly realistic statue of Crucified Jesus. I just find it interesting that such a graphic depiction of Christ was created in Cordoba. The statue is our contemporary creation.

The other interesting fact about the above statue is hidden in its details. The statue is the Shroud based Crucifix. The Shroud of Turin requires no advertisement. Not being a supporter of the radiocarbon dating, I do not put too much faith in the below Shroud creation time frame. At the same time I do find the dates interesting due to the humongous chronological difference with the known events.
After years of discussion, the Holy See permitted radiocarbon dating on portions of a swatch taken from a corner of the shroud. Independent tests in 1988 at the University of Oxford, the University of Arizona, and the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology concluded with 95% confidence that the shroud material dated to 1260–1390 AD. This 13th- to 14th-century dating is much too recent for the shroud to have been associated with Jesus of Nazareth. The dating does on the other hand match the first appearance of the shroud in church history. This dating is also slightly more recent than that estimated by art historian W. S. A. Dale, who postulated on artistic grounds that the shroud is an 11th-century icon made for use in worship services.
I'm a strong supporter of the Fomenko's deliberately "adjusted" chronology theory. The Shroud dating somewhat plays into the added thousand years version. I also do question the lack of original sources which would account for the phenomenal memories people allegedly orally carried through centuries. Basically, I do think we have all these super interesting things on the maps due them taking place at a different, more recent, times.
Some links:
Jesus Crucified As On Shroud Of Turin
Statue of the Crucified in Cordoba, Spain
Juan Manuel Miñarro López
Crucifixion of Jesus - Wikipedia

KD: Nothing special in this thread. Just wanted to share this strange depiction on the old map, and may be hypothesize a bit. It would be pretty interesting if Jerusalem ended up being located at a totally different place. Those old paintings do not quite resemble the current deserted Golgotha area. Then again, may be the terrain/climate did change since.

The_Crucifixion_Christ_on_the_Cross_between_two_thieves.jpg Buhl_StJeanBaptiste.JPG

GroundhogLfe

I have no notes, not even a memory where I got this from so consider this as a rumour. I have a recollection of hearing something similar, that Christ's actual name was Emmanuel? And that he was actually from Gaul / Gallia. Perhaps that can unearth something on that angle.

I could understand the name Jesus Christ just being more of a label, like the lion of Judah.

Last edited:

UnusualBean

I have no notes, not even a memory where I got this from so consider this as a rumour. I have a recollection of hearing something similar, that Christ's actual name was Emmanuel? And that he was actually from Gaul / Gallia. Perhaps that can unearth something on that angle.

I could understand the name Jesus Christ just being more of a label, like the lion of Judah.
Emmanuel apparently means "God with us", so if nothing else it'd fit.

This reminded me of a document found in Japan (that was conveniently destroyed during WW2, so now only copies exist). It claims that Jesus is buried in a tomb in Japan. According to the document, his brother was crucified in his place, and Jesus himself escaped to Japan and lived to be over 100.

It's a little hard to find info, but all accounts seem to indicate that he was called some variation of Tenkuu ("the heavens)", which seems to most likely be a title referring to his time allegedly spent as a mountain monk in Japan. Interestingly, those monks (now called "yamabushi"), have a little... hat thing? called a tokin that looks an awful lot like the Jewish tefillin. Also, Herai, the old name of the town where Jesus's purported tomb is, also resembles the Hebrew word for "mountain". Didn't something important happen to Jesus on a mountain? :unsure:

I also ran into a thing supposedly written by Jesus:

This is how to read the script (in Japanese):

I'm not sure if the above tablet was his (purported) will or not, but in his (purported) will he was apparently referred to as Isukirisu Kurisumasu (Ischris Christmas?)

dreamtime

Back when Jesus lived the earth was more or less one single continent, according to the mappa mundi maps from back then, and Jerusalem was the geographic center in the middle (south pole).

I think the later followers of the teachings of Jesus just went to every part of the world over time, and the teachings got mixed up over time with local lore, which is why so many cultures in the world have their local tales.

BStankman

Verity

Nik Research did quite an outstanding vid. on biblical stories from Jerusalem and surrounds, and transferring them to places in France/Spain and even England I think.
Couldn't get enough time to watch the whole thing but what I saw had me pretty convinced at the time. I still find myself presuming he is correct and it was set in France.
The problem is trawling through five hours to get the details and nuances. He links up so many things- Notre Dame, Spain, The Vatican, language/s, geographical details, so much.
I wish I could get a transcript to speed read through his presentations.
If anyone has time..
Post automatically merged:

Could it be related somehow to the Spanish Inquisition? I remember ..? hearing I think that it was a way to rid the country of those who may not be mentioned.
But who had found their way in to positions of power and needed to be removed.

Last edited: