Fashions of the 1800's

sharonr

Maybe a dedicated post to fashion photographed as early as possible? I like to see a line drawn through history, to make sense of it all. Although it may never make sense. I'm trying to make out the timeline of photography, as it was invented from earliest to latest. Starting with fashion, and of course architecture. I think looking at early photos helps draw distinctions of what really existed, possibly in what time frames.

fashion_0.jpg

Stonewall Jackson's grave in Lexington, Virginia, in the 1860s

fashion_0_1.jpg

Skirts are slightly narrower so this photo
was taken a little later, but it still looks like the 1860s.
(this caption is not me but from Civil War Quilts: Fredericksburg's Confederate Cemetery)

And below is certainly not how I pictured the Confederates at the Battle of Fredericksburg. (Hats??, I know hats have been brought up a lot, but really??)

fashion_1.jpg

I simply did an image search of "photo fashion 1800" and this is the variety I got:

fashion_2.jpg

fashion_12.jpg

fashion_3.jpg

fashion_4.jpg

fashion_5.jpg

fashion_6.jpg

fashion_7.jpg

Charles Dickens?

fashion_8.jpg

fashion_9.jpg

None of the photos were dated. Most of them were labeled "Victorian". And I tried to avoid photos that were labeled or more obviously "Edwardian" (later period). But I still see a massive amount of inconsistency, and wish there were more photos of that actual period. I find it interesting, and think there is a "there" there. Just can't put my finger on it. Will look more into it.

fashion_10.jpg

This has nothing to do with fashion, but interesting:

fashion_11.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
sharonr

sharonr

Well, there is certainly not a lot to write, because I don't see any more genuine photos of many people in hoop skirts. A lot of dead looking people and faked photos. Just thought it weird. I'm still looking. I don't think every picture is of dead people, but there is an eeriness to them.

There are real old dead people at this link though:

American fashion 1850 - Google Search

Last edited:

lostwithtime

Maybe a dedicated post to fashion photographed as early as possible? I like to see a line drawn through history, to make sense of it all. Although it may never make sense. I'm trying to make out the timeline of photography, as it was invented from earliest to latest. Starting with fashion, and of course architecture. I think looking at early photos helps draw distinctions of what really existed, possibly in what time frames.

View attachment 10709

Stonewall Jackson's grave in Lexington, Virginia, in the 1860s

View attachment 10710

Skirts are slightly narrower so this photo
was taken a little later, but it still looks like the 1860s.
(this caption is not me but from Civil War Quilts: Fredericksburg's Confederate Cemetery)

And below is certainly not how I pictured the Confederates at the Battle of Fredericksburg. (Hats??, I know hats have been brought up a lot, but really??)

View attachment 10712

I simply did an image search of "photo fashion 1800" and this is the variety I got:

View attachment 10718

View attachment 10714

View attachment 10716

View attachment 10720

View attachment 10723

View attachment 10724

View attachment 10725

View attachment 10727

View attachment 10728

Charles Dickens?

View attachment 10730

View attachment 10731

None of the photos were dated. Most of them were labeled "Victorian". And I tried to avoid photos that were labeled or more obviously "Edwardian" (later period). But I still see a massive amount of inconsistency, and wish there were more photos of that actual period. I find it interesting, and think there is a "there" there. Just can't put my finger on it. Will look more into it.
View attachment 10729

This has nothing to do with fashion, but interesting:

View attachment 10711
I don’t have anything of use to add but a few thoughts: Fashions are awesome. Materials and embellishments must have cost a fortune. And the labor cost? 😲

Side note: the photo of the five women? Something appears to be seriously bizarre regarding all their hands or lack of. Hidden and gloved except for woman on far left and also notice the fingers on the woman next to her. Crinkled fingers.

Yep. Some 💀 folk mingled in there.

BStankman

Side note: the photo of the five women? Something appears to be seriously bizarre regarding all their hands or lack of. Hidden and gloved except for woman on far left and also notice the fingers on the woman next to her. Crinkled fingers.

Yep. Some 💀 folk mingled in there.
You don't like ladies with a big square jaw and large hands?
Wearing one of these. Corsets as high technology

flameto

Damn, nice catch. And am I crazy and/or drunk, or do these "ladies" appear to have four fingers rather than five?

The seated person on the right...the two visible fingers taper in a clawlike way. (Could be an illusion caused by the design of the gloves?)

The eyes look out as if they've seen some shit.

Additionally, the large hands and square jaws as @BStankman mentioned.

Really intriguing photo.

Last edited:

lostwithtime

Damn, nice catch. And am I crazy and/or drunk, or do these "ladies" appear to have four fingers rather than five?
Something appears amiss with those hands and I counted fingers too!

Their clothing is expensive judging by the amount of material, form fitting cut, and embellishments. Silk?

After quick search, I did not find an answer for what that item is attached to the chains the three women on the right are wearing. Fashion or utilitarian?
Zoom in on the hand resting on the shoulder of the person on the right.
I was afraid 😱 too! But I did and it does appear to be unusually large. Those black laced hands are haunting me.

Traditionally, well bred women posed with hands demurely folded in lap. Trickery abounds here to conceal it appears.

Last edited:

ISeenItFirst

Cleft hand isn't too rare of an anomaly, is genetic (could run in families), and can look very much like this. Still odd though.

ISeenItFirst

It would be pretty unique for them all to have cleft hands, and to have the cleft be about the same, and having a full thumb (most cleft hands dont)

Ice Nine

The "gal"in the middle is the most disturbing to me, that's quite a paw, Maw.